Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

The cheesiest, most cliché episode ever

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Earwen

Earwen

Maybe I'm on nobody's side

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

QUOTE (Cadiva @ Dec 8 2010, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also still fail to see why liking something which was, in essence, a happy make you feel better cheesy holiday episode, would therefore have to mean you have no respect for Christmas, not all Christians are humourless.

Once again: I have never said that. I was answering to a post that said people who didn't like the episode probably hate christmas, and I said that I thought that was wrong and that it was even *more likely* the other way around, that the people who think christmas has to be cheesy and therefore this episode was good don't respect christmas. I wrote "more likely" because I was merely comparing two theories. I don't believe any of the two is true, I think they're both unlikely.
Therefore, I do not believe and have never said that liking this episode means automatically you have no respect for christmas. I hope that was clear now smile.gif

Also I don't understand why you write about christians being humorless or not, I've never said this and I don't see what it has to do with anything. It's not like this episode made fun of christians or something.

QUOTE (Cadiva @ Dec 8 2010, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also don't happen to believe you have to be in a church to be religious and I don't believe God only listens to me when I'm in a Church. I go to Midnight Mass because it's a beautiful celebration of the wonders of Christ's birth and the hope and love it inspired.

For the record, I'm an atheist, so I don't believe any of these things. But I felt it was disrespectful and unrealistic that an episode dedicated to what is by most people considered the most important christian feast didn't even mention the fact it had something to do with Jesus, when at least two of the characters are religious christians.

And I never said that christmas doesn't have to do with being with love ones, I said that this episode didn't feature that in a way that I found believable and I explained why.

Commercial Christmas has sod all to do with Christ and is usually the reason why it's spelt Xmas.

I don't know anything about that as I'm not American and there's only one word for it here. However, this episode was called a very glee christmas, not xmas. But if in America there is that partition, my disappointment might partly just have to do with a different view on christmas in different cultures.

I think we should leave it at that as we are getting off topic and it's going to be some time until I'll be online again and I don't believe we're getting anywhere. No offense, it was after all a civil discussion so far and I appreciate that smile.gif

Cadiva

Cadiva

Smurfette

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • GFA '14: Mod Spotlight
QUOTE (Earwen @ Dec 8 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Once again: I have never said that. I was answering to a post that said people who didn't like the episode probably hate christmas, and I said that I thought that was wrong and that it was even *more likely* the other way around, that the people who think christmas has to be cheesy and therefore this episode was good don't respect christmas. I wrote "more likely" because I was merely comparing two theories. I don't believe any of the two is true, I think they're both unlikely.
Therefore, I do not believe and have never said that liking this episode means automatically you have no respect for christmas. I hope that was clear now smile.gif

Also I don't understand why you write about christians being humorless or not, I've never said this and I don't see what it has to do with anything. It's not like this episode made fun of christians or something.

For the record, I'm an atheist, so I don't believe any of these things. But I felt it was disrespectful and unrealistic that an episode dedicated to what is by most people considered the most important christian feast didn't even mention the fact it had something to do with Jesus, when at least two of the characters are religious christians.

And I never said that christmas doesn't have to do with being with love ones, I said that this episode didn't feature that in a way that I found believable and I explained why.

I don't know anything about that as I'm not American and there's only one word for it here. However, this episode was called a very glee christmas, not xmas. But if in America there is that partition, my disappointment might partly just have to do with a different view on christmas in different cultures.

I think we should leave it at that as we are getting off topic and it's going to be some time until I'll be online again and I don't believe we're getting anywhere. No offense, it was after all a civil discussion so far and I appreciate that smile.gif

I'm not an American either but Xmas is often used on signs in the shops here in the UK and in the commercial aspect of things, rather than Christmas - that's what I was saying there.

I wasn't meaning to be antagonistic, just pointing out that just because Glee didn't mention Jesus during their Christmas episode wouldn't mean that Christians were going to dislike it, which seemed to be what you were saying.

You appeared to say it was more likely that people who had no respect for Christmas (ie the Jesus reason for Christmas) were more likely the ones who liked the cheesy aspect of the Glee episode. I was just saying I didn't see why that would be the case.

Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne

It's What I Do,

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,838 posts
What did you expect? it had the name of the show in the title.

Matt Holck

Matt Holck

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
a mash up of Rudolf and The Grinch

Hikari

Hikari

[glee needz moar Harmony]

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
QUOTE (geturquickon @ Dec 7 2010, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A nightmare of an episode. Even by Glee's low standards storywise. I am just glad it's all over now. It's like tetanus shots being a watcher of Glee these days. When you watch one and survive with sanity intact. You are like phew. One down. Live to fight another day.

...and don't bore me with why are you still watching then. I have no idea why I watched recordings of the Bold and The Beautiful religiously either and shipped Brooke with just about every man she slept with, which was every man on the show. So, we are all mad somehow.

Yeah, I really have no clue why you're watching. You complain about EVERYTHING, you're consistently pessimistic, and you keep talking about how awful the show is. Yet, you have an account on a fansite dedicated to the show.

Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne

It's What I Do,

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,838 posts
PS - Xmas is used because X is a stand-in for the prefix 'Chris'

Christina Aguilera -->> Xtina
Christmas -->> Xmas

The X comes from the greek letter 'Chi' which was the first letter of the Greek word for 'Christ' so 'Xmas very MUCh has 'sod'(?) to do with Christ. It's just ignorance of another culture surpressing it in this thread.

britney_bitch

britney_bitch

Hi I'm Dianna Agron and I'm a flawless human being

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
This (cheesiness and clicheness) is what I love about Christmas specials.

Matt Holck

Matt Holck

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
QUOTE (Hikari @ Dec 8 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I really have no clue why you're watching. You complain about EVERYTHING, you're consistently pessimistic, and you keep talking about how awful the show is. Yet, you have an account on a fansite dedicated to the show.

unemployment at 10%

tina_j

tina_j

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
See, i've actually been enjoying this season more than last but this was just dull. It started out good but about half-way through i was waiting for it to end.

I love when Glee is cheesy and cliche but none of this worked for me, idk, i guess i expected more laughs but Brittany, in my opinion, isn't that funny anymore and i feel Sue has lost her purpose on this show.

Not to say it didn't have a few good bits- i can honestly always find something to love about an episode, but usually i feel kind of buzzed from the show and love reading through the forums but this time i just went straight to bed.

On the cliche note, i can't decide whether i'm relieved or dissapointed that Artie didn't end the episode with a 'god bless us, everyone'.

Cadiva

Cadiva

Smurfette

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • GFA '14: Mod Spotlight
QUOTE (Mr Glee @ Dec 9 2010, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS - Xmas is used because X is a stand-in for the prefix 'Chris'

Christina Aguilera -->> Xtina
Christmas -->> Xmas

The X comes from the greek letter 'Chi' which was the first letter of the Greek word for 'Christ' so 'Xmas very MUCh has 'sod'(?) to do with Christ. It's just ignorance of another culture surpressing it in this thread.

I know what the X in the Xmas stands for. My point was that Xmas is usually used to differentiate from the religious Christmas in commercial settings not that it wasn't relevant to it.

geturquickon

geturquickon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
QUOTE (Matt Holck @ Dec 9 2010, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
unemployment at 10%

Perhaps in your case. We call it Trust Fund in my neck of the woods. I can do what I want, when I want. God has been good.

@Hikari-I am wondering the same thing about myself. Why I continue to watch. The problem is, why the hell you should be wondering the same thing about me? I will express joy when I see fit and anger when I see fit and I am sorry if the latter is more often than not while watching Glee and somehow this affects your enjoyment of this board, but as you must be aware, there is freedom of expression.

Since you go about talking about who should and shouldn't sing what songs etc, it's like asking all you amateur vocal coaches, then why listen to it since you hate it so much and since you are so pessimistic? Why did you watch sectionals since you couldn't imagine how they would win? Why do any of the critics moaning about the shows direction continue to watch? I mean, if some of you can not see how silly it is to keep telling people who criticise one thing or the other, to stop watching then I can't help you.

FallenAngelII

FallenAngelII

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
Well, it is a Christmas episode. Definitely the weakest insofar this season, and that's saying something when you have to compete with the likes of "Brittany/Britney".

WoodlandCreature

WoodlandCreature

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
I guess I must really love cheese then because I loved it smile.gif

cinnamonpoptarts

cinnamonpoptarts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
QUOTE (WoodlandCreature @ Dec 9 2010, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I must really love cheese then because I loved it smile.gif

I do love cheesy stuff but I didn't love the episode. It wasn't bad though, I just wasn't very affected. Artie walking didn't move me, perhaps because I just don't like him that much... but come on guys, you know we're never going to see that walker again. rolleyes.gif

I did love BICO and both of Rachel's songs, but I would like to see Rachel have a plot that doesn't have to do with Finn, and now I feel like that's not going to happen for awhile. sad.gif

CantStopWatching

CantStopWatching

"Is there a cake?"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Glee is one of the cheesiest and cliche shows out there - don't know if anyone's noticed . . . lol

The "loser" girl and the "popular" guy fall in love. Every episode has one or more lessons. There's always a "bad" characters who turns "good." The popular had cheerleader actually has a lot of depth and inner demons. . . . Just to name a few.

I, for one. Adored this episode. I've not been digging Glee 2.0 (ie - all the downtrodden, sad-plot concentration there has been) and this was a welcome return to something more similar to the F13.

Brittany, in my opinion, isn't that funny anymore and i feel Sue has lost her purpose on this show.

I disagree. I liked Brittany very much in this episode. I thought she was funny, but not in the cheap one-liner way that Glee usually goes with her. And Sue's purpose as a character is always to eff s*** up. And she did this episode. But Sue is also a character that they have always used to convey that every person has a good side and a bad side, which she did very much this episode.

bud3245

bud3245

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
True, it was cheesy. But I loved it anyway. And it didn't have half the cheese of 'Furt,' which I thought was the corniest of the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids