Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

was Lauren's performance as painful to watch for everyone as it was for me??

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

heyyitsvanessa789

heyyitsvanessa789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Oh geez, this was so awkward to watch. Too awkward. But it did make me laugh a little. The song, however, was just horrible. Not just the song choice, but the way she "sang" it. Like, seriously? She didn't even sing! She just... talked (?) the song! Eh, just... awkward.

Arya Stark

Arya Stark

"All men must die" but we are not men.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
QUOTE (Tenor-tastic @ Feb 16 2011, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This. I love that Lauren is confident and funny, but at the same time nervous about singing in front of the Glee club. The fact that she asked Puck for advice on her solo shows that she cares, contrary to the remarks she made during "Special Education" about show choir being stupid.
I liked this, too. I liked the little moment at the beginning of the song when Lauren was so nervous and then she looked over at Puck and he mouthed, "Underwear!" to her and that's when she began to have fun with the song.

Here's the original for comparison:

As you can see, the vocals are flat and sung in a deadpan monotone. Lauren has a lot more fun with the song and performs with a lot more energy and enthusiasm that the original singer.

This is the type of woman that our society usually tells to carry herself apologetically and to shut up and go hide in the back row where no one has to look at her. And I love it that Lauren completely refuses to buy into any of that crap. Here she is just flaunting her sexuality in a fun, mock-flirtatious, and unapologetic way . It's great.

Did anyone else notice that the song mirrors the dynamics of her courtship with Puck so far (except I'm pretty sure she's gonna let him eventually)?

Mike

Mike

Ex-Admin! :-D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,398 posts
SO awkward. The vocals made me cringe, and the dancing was just yeah.

Gleek223

Gleek223

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,823 posts
Sure she isn't the best singer but the funniest part was when Lauren pushed Brittany and Tina to the ground

francaFranca

francaFranca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
QUOTE (shandrick @ Feb 16 2011, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most awkward performance ever on Glee for me was "This is a Man's World" ...pregnant teens bouncing up and down is so much more awkward than lauren sticking her boobs in people's faces.

I cannot believe you just wrote that. Are you saying that Quinn singing a song about women and pregnancy and what she's going through is worse than Lauren whipping her hair back and forth and singing, "I know what boys like"?
rolleyes.gif

alittlebird

alittlebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
It certainly wasn't sexy like it might have been if it had been Heather or Naya dancing, but it was kind of dynamic in a different way. Lauren is brave, she refuses to feel like anything less than she is because of the standards other people try to adhere to. She knows what she looks like, and she is self conscious, but she gets past it. I admire that. It may not have been the most aesthetically impressive or even vocally impressive performance, but I totally understand why everyone got up and hugged her at the end. I respected the song more as a dramatic moment than an impressive performance, and for the first time I really got why Puck likes her - I'd found her crude and annoying before. But Puck respects strength, and Lauren is probably one of the strongest characters on the show.

QUINNx3

QUINNx3

brittanna please.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
It was... it left me speechless. In a bad way. The whole shoving her boobs in guys' faces was unnecessary, the dancing was unnecessary, etc. I doubt someone can perform like that in school in real life.
The song is very hard to listen too. Pretty much anyone can sing it. Heck, I could put on a baby voice and just say those words and it can come off a legitimate cover.

GleeRachelBerry

GleeRachelBerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
It felt, awkward .

Lyric

Lyric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
QUOTE (QUINNx3 @ Feb 17 2011, 03:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was... it left me speechless. In a bad way. The whole shoving her boobs in guys' faces was unnecessary, the dancing was unnecessary, etc. I doubt someone can perform like that in school in real life.
The song is very hard to listen too. Pretty much anyone can sing it. Heck, I could put on a baby voice and just say those words and it can come off a legitimate cover.

I`m sorry but have you seen the Push It scene??

I bet if Rachel, Santana, or another thin cast member did the exact same performance instead of Lauren all you haters would have loved it. rolleyes.gif

cinnamonpoptarts

cinnamonpoptarts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
QUOTE (Lyric @ Feb 17 2011, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bet if Rachel, Santana, or another thin cast member did the exact same performance instead of Lauren all you haters would have loved it. rolleyes.gif

No...I think it was the group thing that made that better. I get secondhand embarrassment so bad that since it was just Lauren putting it out there it was so unbearable.

And the 'push it' scene didn't have anyone go as far as going out in the audience and rubbing their boobs on somebody's face.

Rachel Berry

Rachel Berry

Rise, shine and have a cup of coffee with me!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,543 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Articulate
  • GFA '13: Smartest
  • GFA '14: Best Singer

The imitated sex acts in that number were choreographed, everyone knew what he or she was getting into (well, except maybe for Finn when Kurt hit him on the ass). You cannot say that about Artie during Lauren's performance. And I definitely would have found it weird and felt uncomfortable if Santana or Rachel had done the same thing, which, in all likelihood, they wouldn't have. Are we supposed to give Lauren a pass on this because of her waisteline? Don't think so. (Hey, remember Rachel touching Tina's boobs in the pilot during "You're the One that I Want"? Just as weird.)

liljess

liljess

They're called happy endings, not happy middles.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
QUOTE (heyyitsvanessa789 @ Feb 16 2011, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh geez, this was so awkward to watch. Too awkward. But it did make me laugh a little. The song, however, was just horrible. Not just the song choice, but the way she "sang" it. Like, seriously? She didn't even sing! She just... talked (?) the song! Eh, just... awkward.

Yes, but that is how the actual song is preformed. Look it up on youtube.

CleveWalker

CleveWalker

You're so wanna be me.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
She can sing.

BUT the song suck so much that there's no other way to safe it.

Good voice, wrong song -> skipping to abs scene and pause and fap. Strike that.

QUINNx3

QUINNx3

brittanna please.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Yes, I have. But like someone else said, it was choreographed. When they did the moves, did you see anyone uncomfortable? They knew what was happening. I'm certain Artie did not except to have boobs shoved in his face, nor was he comfortable. That's the difference. It didn't make me feel uncomfortable, like Lauren's performance. But then again, it's just my take on both performances.
As for me hating on her performance because she's fat, no. Just no. Shoving your boobs in someone's face is uncalled for, no matter how skinny or fat you are. And besides, would any other character honestly do that?

FallenAngelII

FallenAngelII

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
QUOTE (Lyric @ Feb 17 2011, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Figgins saw it, the student body saw it and it resulted in Will being slapped with a list of pre-approved songs.

QUOTE (Lyric @ Feb 17 2011, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except I wouldn't. Because the song was horrible, she sang it badly deliberately (I don't know if the writers are trying to tell us Lauren has limited range or not) and the dancing was just over-the-top and unnecessary. I'm gay, so I don't care who's shoving their breasts or behind into people's faces. It's a High School Glee club.

fly.on.the.wall

fly.on.the.wall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I personally enjoyed this performance. Sure there were uncomfortable bits but to me it was a satire, Lauren (Ashley) was just having fun. As a character she seems to enjoy pushing the boundaries and provoking people and to me this was just one of her ways of doing it. So to me this performance was great fun, especially the underwear bit.

Megz

Megz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I didn't like it.
I also don't like that she makes herself seem SO confident. I wish that they would have more scenes with her being unsure of herself (like when talking to Puck) it was the only time I actually liked her character. I'm not saying she should hate herself, I like that she loves her appearance, it's just too much sometimes. Other characters are also confident about their looks (Puck, Santana) but even they seem to be less obnoxious about it. I think that they are trying to force the point that she is comfortable and sexy being overweight. IMO this is awesome to overweight teens so probably don't see much of that, but they don't have to make that point every single time. How about some other good qualities? You don't see anything from her other than being the cocky, overweight girl.

I also wish she would have done it more like this cover

which shows you can still have a good singing voice in the song.

Gallavich

Gallavich

together

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,755 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Gay
  • GFA '13: Favorite Mod/Admin
  • GFA '14: Biggest Sam Stan
I honestly wasn't listening. I was staring at Chord, Mark, and Harry.

CLoveGlee

CLoveGlee

Recapping Fool

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Writer

Rachel or Santana would have been less gross, yes. I find Lauren to be a thoroughly unappealing character in general. Not because she's fat. I think Mercedes would have been far less objectionable on this.

Aliye

Aliye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
QUOTE (Rhoda123 @ Feb 16 2011, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a big fan of Ashley's.... I think she is an amazingly talented actress and I love how she delivers her lines to Puck with so much sass. However, I did not like the performance at all. The song choice was ridiculous. No girl will sing that if they have ONE IOTA of self consciousness which we know Lauren does. And it was painful for me to see Puck act like he was. I'm a Puckleberry shipper hardcore but I don't mind the Luck but the writers have made Puck a freaking weenie.. I want my badass Puck back!!!

ExACTLY biggrin.gif I WANT MY OLD BADASS PUCK BACK angry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids