Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

"Can I just applaud this trio for exploring the uncharted world of Sapphic charm?"

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

artsmatter

artsmatter

Part-time humanist, part-time misanthrope, full-time hippie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts

I've seen a couple of remarks suggesting that Rachel's comment had undertones of homophobia...am I missing something (English isn't my mother tongue, so maybe I am...)? Rachel--with two gay dads? I think she was being condescending not with regards to Santana's coming out, but in critiquing the performance. I rolled my eyes at her because she turned a highly emotional moment into another chance to offer her criticism and expert advice. rolleyes.gif

PaulieWalnuts

PaulieWalnuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
It's called bad writing. Happens alot in Glee.

Just like when how Puck has no problems stealing ATM machines, but getting arrested for making a sex video with God-400 is a big no-no, even though they never have to release it...

finchel_fan

finchel_fan

Makin' it raaaain!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Those people are on crack. Rachel is the last person on Glee that I would call a homophobe. She was just being sarcastic because her and Santana get along. Ever since Furt she has blurted out little quips toward Santana and Quinn.

DoodleShuester

DoodleShuester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Who is God-400?

finchel_fan

finchel_fan

Makin' it raaaain!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
QUOTE (DoodleShuester @ Mar 8 2011, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who is God-400?

Lauren, I'm assuming.

SunShinee

SunShinee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I don't think she was being homophobic at all.

I think she was being Rachel haha. I think she just meant what she said. Also probably wanted to steal the show again. smile.gif

Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

Too legit to quit

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,982 posts
  • GFA '14: Best Username
I don't think Rachel was being sarcastic. She was just being Rachel. People on this site throw word homophobe around at drop of a hat. It's getting ridiculous.

Arya Stark

Arya Stark

"You get a quarter from the Hope Commission every time you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts
I don't think she was being homophobic. In her typical Rachel Berry way, she was just pointing out the obvious. Well, it was obvious to everyone except Sam. rolleyes.gif

I'm not even sure she was being condescending. She was using somewhat euphemistic language by calling it "the uncharted world of Sapphic charm" rather than calling the performance a lesbian love song, but Rachel does like to exercise her vocabulary. smile.gif

She was being insensitive, though, to explicitly name something that the two girls wished to express but weren't ready to define. Rachel often fails to realize that not everyone expresses their emotions as freely as she does.

love machine

love machine

jgroff the man yo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts
IDK why but I was kind of surprised that Santana understood what Sapphic is. Not sure why. But yeah, not homophobic in the least. Just Rachel being Rachel.

PaulieWalnuts

PaulieWalnuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
QUOTE (finchel_fan @ Mar 8 2011, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lauren, I'm assuming.

Frog face Muzone & Precious.

Can you guess?

bluetooth

bluetooth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
QUOTE (love machine @ Mar 8 2011, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IDK why but I was kind of surprised that Santana understood what Sapphic is. Not sure why. But yeah, not homophobic in the least. Just Rachel being Rachel.

I wasn't. It just made her seem that much more gay laugh.gif

Lila

Lila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
I don't believe she was being sarcastic at all, I think she was serious. As for the phrasing, that's typical Rachel. laugh.gif

artsmatter

artsmatter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
QUOTE (Lila @ Mar 9 2011, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't believe she was being sarcastic at all, I think she was serious. As for the phrasing, that's typical Rachel. laugh.gif

Initially, that's what I thought too, since it almost looked like Rachel had tears in her eyes, but then why were Mr. Schue and Finn looking at Rachel with such distaste? blink.gif

Rachel Berry

Rachel Berry

Rise, shine and have a cup of coffee with me!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,692 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Articulate
  • GFA '13: Smartest
  • GFA '14: Best Singer
QUOTE (PaulieWalnuts @ Mar 8 2011, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's called bad writing. Happens alot in Glee.

Just like when how Puck has no problems stealing ATM machines, but getting arrested for making a sex video with God-400 is a big no-no, even though they never have to release it...

There is certainly bad writing on Glee, but there is also some bad watching going on, it seems. You missed the whole point of sex tape sub-plot. The tape was meant to be released in order to make Lauren famous by "bad reputation." Otherwise there was no point in making the sex tape to begin with.

QUOTE (artsmatter @ Mar 9 2011, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Initially, that's what I thought too, since it almost looked like Rachel had tears in her eyes, but then why were Mr. Schue and Finn looking at Rachel with such distaste? blink.gif

Rachel was definitely condescending, she often is. And there were no tears. Will seemed to think: "Can't you kindly hold your tongue for once?" Finn's bewildered stare, on the other hand, just suggested that he doesn't know what "sapphic" is. And I had so much hope for him after that "archetype" moment.

artsmatter

artsmatter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
QUOTE (beekowski @ Mar 9 2011, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rachel was definitely condescending, she often is. And there were no tears. Will seemed to think: "Can't you kindly hold your tongue for once?" Finn's bewildered stare, on the other hand, just suggested that he doesn't know what "sapphic" is. And I had so much hope for him after that "archetype" moment.

Oh, okay...thanks for clearing that up. That's what I thought when I first posted on this thread cuz Rachel just irked me in that moment, but I kept ping-ponging between my two opinions.

PaulieWalnuts

PaulieWalnuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
QUOTE (beekowski @ Mar 9 2011, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is certainly bad writing on Glee, but there is also some bad watching going on, it seems. You missed the whole point of sex tape sub-plot. The tape was meant to be released in order to make Lauren famous by "bad reputation." Otherwise there was no point in making the sex tape to begin with.

No, its just bad writing. Pointless plot device that does nothing for anything and is out of character and so, so unrealistic.

Ryan Murphy is notorious for bad plot lines. Watch some Nip/Tuck

Rachel Berry

Rachel Berry

Rise, shine and have a cup of coffee with me!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,692 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Articulate
  • GFA '13: Smartest
  • GFA '14: Best Singer
QUOTE (PaulieWalnuts @ Mar 9 2011, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, its just bad writing. Pointless plot device that does nothing for anything and is out of character and so, so unrealistic.
Ryan Murphy is notorious for bad plot lines. Watch some Nip/Tuck

Except that this episode was written by Brad Falchuk, RM merely directed it. Otherwise I agree, it was a useless (plus rather unfunny) sub-plot. I don't watch musicals in a high school setting for realism, though.

queenbee0393

queenbee0393

"You should write a book translating all the mad things gir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,729 posts
QUOTE (artsmatter @ Mar 8 2011, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've seen a couple of remarks suggesting that Rachel's comment had undertones of homophobia...am I missing something (English isn't my mother tongue, so maybe I am...)? Rachel--with two gay dads? I think she was being condescending not with regards to Santana's coming out, but in critiquing the performance. I rolled my eyes at her because she turned a highly emotional moment into another chance to offer her criticism and expert advice. rolleyes.gif

I admit, I instantly thought she was being sarcastic because of Santana's retort. I was like, blink.gif "You have two gay dads!!". But after watching it again, I knew I was wrong. She was genuinely astounded.

PS: English isn't your first language huh blink.gif *eats my shoe*

PaulieWalnuts

PaulieWalnuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
QUOTE (beekowski @ Mar 9 2011, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Except that this episode was written by Brad Falchuk, RM merely directed it. Otherwise I agree, it was a useless (plus rather unfunny) sub-plot. I don't watch musicals in a high school setting for realism, though.

Well Brad Falchuk is just as bad as Murphy. Maybe realism wasnt the best word - how about consistency?

chiliam

chiliam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
can somebody explain this sentence for me?
i dont know what does Sapphic charm mean?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids