Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Name That Underrated Glee Thing

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

sleepwalk

sleepwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Location:Sitting ringside at a Merle Dixon vs Jayne Cobb steel cage match

Overlooked Comedy: Kevin McHale and Iqbal Theba. Cory and Heather may get the better one-offs (Cory less so now that Finn is in a hurricane) but these two offer up their lines with such unshaking aplomb, Jane Lynch may get jealous.

Overlooked Drama: Cory Monteith. Matt Morrison and Lea Michele are true heavyweights and Cory will go all twelve rounds with either of them. It can get painful to watch but the un-heroic Finn(i.e., bug out scene in "Theatricality") shows that its not all sweet smiles and rousing speeches.

Overlooked Story Points: Could go on and on here but: Sanctimony may suck but spirituality is pretty kick-ass and can be respected (Grilled Cheesus.) Guys have body issues too (Rocky Horror.)

Overlooked Musical Numbers: "Hell To the No!" had potential for Regionals, IMO. All the Finchel fans won't stop cooing over "Borderline/Open Your Heart" not just because they're adorable. It also fit perfectly with the characters storyline-wise. Jenna as Tina singing "True Colors" was one of my favorites and the side glances exchanges by the Quifurtcheluck polyhedron made you feel for each kid.

Overlooked Hawt Chick: Jayma Mays. "Eyes like a bush baby" distract many from noticing that she's got a tight little bod going on under those librarian ensembles.

Overlooked Muscle Man: Chris Colfer. No really. Look at any pictures with him in a T-shirt. Little mogwai has got some guns on him.

igavene55

igavene55

Team Finn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
QUOTE (artsmatter @ Apr 7 2011, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Cory Monteith's acting. Guy's crazy talented (and being the wonderful person that he is, deserves some overdue recognition!).

completely agree. and sometimes Cory's singing too (for someone without any singing background he's quite amazing)
QUOTE (saarele @ Apr 8 2011, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Bohemian Rhapsody + birth of Beth: it was all so well done, so well executed... I could go on gushing about it, but it is definitely my favorite performance on Glee ever.

agree. but don't think it's that underrated though
QUOTE (saarele @ Apr 8 2011, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Dog Days Are Over: This at least got some more appreciation than I expected. I was honestly worried how they would pull off Florence, but they rocked it! One of my fave numbers this season.

maybe because many people were too busy screaming at the TV and destroying their rooms (from the previous scene) to notice the song. tongue.gif

Rachel Berry

Rachel Berry

Rise, shine and have a cup of coffee with me!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,527 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Articulate
  • GFA '13: Smartest
  • GFA '14: Best Singer
OT: One of the most underappreciated musical numbers on Glee for me is "Like a Virgin." It has a perfect choreography involving the three couples, the voices blend beautifully, and the song also has significant plot relevance. It is also one of those Glee numbers that is fascinating because it cannot be located in either reality (singing while trying to do the deed?) or fantasy (how can three virgins have the same fantasy?), but is situated somewhere in-between.

lost686girl

lost686girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
QUOTE (Casper @ Apr 7 2011, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-The fact that while Chris Colfer has delicate features, he also actually has a very masculine and fit body which doesn't fully match up with Kurt. This could be interesting. I would like to see the gender thing explored a bit. Chris looks huge next to Darren.

ohh yes indeed. one of the reasons he's so striking! i'd like them to start appreciating how good looking he is. hopefully with his new boyfriend in tow everyone will realize how he's transformed into a really mature teenager smile.gif

artsmatter

artsmatter

Part-time humanist, part-time misanthrope, full-time hippie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
-The little references and reminders RIB stick in here and there. The "Mars/Venus" comment from Sam in Duets, the lock and key (parallel to 1x15) diagrams behind Puck and Quinn in the celibacy club classroom, the allusion to V (the 1983 miniseries) with the Jesse/Rachel/Shelby scene in Hello and Beth and the lizard baby.

-The cuts to the Glee kids' reactions in the choir room scenes. Artie and Rachel in particular make expressions that are downright hilarious, not to mention extemely GIF-able. And I love Artie's praise hands. laugh.gif

-I agree with all of you! Dot is a gem.

QUOTE (the__paul @ Apr 7 2011, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all the background friendships. People complain that they don't focus on friendships in Glee and while I accept that they don't get big scenes, there are tonnes of moments were the Glee kids are obviously friends. I refer to Mike/Brittany hugging and dancing all the time, and stuff like Mike hugging Kurt and... Actually, maybe it's a Mike Chang thing tongue.gif

+1. It's the whole "music is the common denominator" idea. I think some people find the lack of build-up frustrating, which is understandable, but I find it to be believable. smile.gif

One of my favorite pairs during group numbers is Santana/Artie. Rachel/Artie is adorable too...well, Kevin is just so darn shippable in general. tongue.gif

QUOTE (beekowski @ Apr 7 2011, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this observation, especially the bolded part, contains an underappreciated truth about Glee: This show somehow has managed to make a strength out of a weakness. The more effort the majority of us fans on this forum and elsewhere put into venting our anger and frustration about certain plot evolvements, dubious song choices, under- and overused characters and actors, etc., the stronger our attachment to the show becomes. We not merely love Glee for what it is, but also (and probably even more so) for the show it could be, if RIB weren't such jerks.

This is also the reason Glee is not a "guilty pleasure," as it is often called. Our reaction to guilty pleasures is to search (in fact often make up) redeeming qualities which we use to justify our emotional attachment on an intellectual level. It works differently with Glee: We actually search and highlight the weaknesses of the show in an irresolvable struggle between our intellect and our emotions. Correct me, but I think is a rather unique phenomenon when it comes to TV shows.

Word.

QUOTE (beegee @ Apr 7 2011, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jessalyn Gilseg is probably the single best actor on this show and she is extremely underrated. She pulls of comedy and drama exceptionally well.

Definitely. And she knows what's going on too:

<<“But the tide has turned a little bit. People are starting to miss her.”

She says discussing future potential guest stars on Glee is a “sensitive topic” and she “doesn’t care” who creators Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, and Ian Brennan bring onto the set because she fears the hype over guest stars “overshadows how talented the rest of the cast is, especially the kids.”>>

QUOTE (saarele @ Apr 7 2011, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- She's Not There: I thought Cory sounded great! Everyone was talking about the Thriller mash-up and whatnot, that this number got forgotten.

Yes! So glad you mentioned it!

- Figgins - "Tik and also Tok". Come on. lol

Figgins seriously does not get enough love. laugh.gif

QUOTE (sleepwalk @ Apr 7 2011, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Overlooked Comedy: Kevin McHale and Iqbal Theba. Cory and Heather may get the better one-offs (Cory less so now that Finn is in a hurricane) but these two offer up their lines with such unshaking aplomb, Jane Lynch may get jealous.

Overlooked Drama: Cory Monteith. Matt Morrison and Lea Michele are true heavyweights and Cory will go all twelve rounds with either of them. It can get painful to watch but the un-heroic Finn(i.e., bug out scene in "Theatricality") shows that its not all sweet smiles and rousing speeches.

Overlooked Story Points: Could go on and on here but: Sanctimony may suck but spirituality is pretty kick-ass and can be respected (Grilled Cheesus.) Guys have body issues too (Rocky Horror.)

Overlooked Musical Numbers: "Hell To the No!" had potential for Regionals, IMO. All the Finchel fans won't stop cooing over "Borderline/Open Your Heart" not just because they're adorable. It also fit perfectly with the characters storyline-wise. Jenna as Tina singing "True Colors" was one of my favorites and the side glances exchanges by the Quifurtcheluck polyhedron made you feel for each kid.

Overlooked Hawt Chick: Jayma Mays. "Eyes like a bush baby" distract many from noticing that she's got a tight little bod going on under those librarian ensembles.

Overlooked Muscle Man: Chris Colfer. No really. Look at any pictures with him in a T-shirt. Little mogwai has got some guns on him.

I shall marry this post.

House Carl

House Carl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
Agreed on Jessalyn.

One of the all time best acted scenes in Glee was the discovery of Terri's fradulent pregnancy. Great performances from both Matt and Jessalyn there.

I wish Terri had a larger role. There, I said it. tongue.gif

Matt Holck

Matt Holck

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
all the effort to get my attention

Rachel Berry

Rachel Berry

Rise, shine and have a cup of coffee with me!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,527 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Articulate
  • GFA '13: Smartest
  • GFA '14: Best Singer
QUOTE (artsmatter @ Apr 9 2011, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-The cuts to the Glee kids' reactions in the choir room scenes. Artie and Rachel in particular make expressions that are downright hilarious, not to mention extemely GIF-able. And I love Artie's praise hands. laugh.gif

This observation reminds me of another underrated Glee thing. Good musicals make performances an extension or advancement of a plot element that has been established in dialog earlier ("plot to song"). While Glee also has random numbers which are not at all or at least only loosely related to plot (e.g. practically all Warblers numbers), the show does this pretty often. However, Glee also does something that is rather untypical for musicals, that is making a performance the actual origin of a plot evolvement because of the strong emotional reactions the performers or their audiences show ("song to plot"). Examples include practically all instances when Rachel falls for a guy, e.g. for Finn during "You're the One That I Want" and for Will during "Endless Love" (no build-up in both cases) or for Jesse during "Hello" and for Blaine during "Don't You Want Me" (only minimal build-up in both cases).

As far as "song to plot" instances go, Puck's "Sweet Caroline" in "Mash-Up" is the most significant number Glee has ever done. Just look at the reactions of no less than four people in the audience: Rachel acknowledges that Puck might be a suitable mate for her after all; Finn is jealous, although he has no right to be so, because he's with Quinn at the time; Quinn shows a reaction similar to Rachel's, making this the origin of the idea to give Puck a try-out as her child's father three episodes later (which, because of Puck's simultaneous "sexting" with Santana, in turn leads to the Quinn-Santana rivalry which becomes so prominent in the first episode of season 2); and Santana shows a reaction similar to Finn's, making this the point of origin of her sexual rivalry with Rachel, which, although the object of jealousy later shifts from Puck to Finn, has its strongest repercussion with the Finchel break-up in "Special Education." (And btw, "Sweet Caroline" also has one of those beautiful Mike-Brittany moments smile.gif )

artsmatter

artsmatter

Part-time humanist, part-time misanthrope, full-time hippie.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
QUOTE (beekowski @ Apr 9 2011, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This observation reminds me of another underrated Glee thing. Good musicals make performances an extension or advancement of a plot element that has been established in dialog earlier ("plot to song"). While Glee also has random numbers which are not at all or at least only loosely related to plot (e.g. practically all Warblers numbers), the show does this pretty often. However, Glee also does something that is rather untypical for musicals, that is making a performance the actual origin of a plot evolvement because of the strong emotional reactions the performers or their audiences show ("song to plot"). Examples include practically all instances when Rachel falls for a guy, e.g. for Finn during "You're the One That I Want" and for Will during "Endless Love" (no build-up in both cases) or for Jesse during "Hello" and for Blaine during "Don't You Want Me" (only minimal build-up in both cases).

As far as "song to plot" instances go, Puck's "Sweet Caroline" in "Mash-Up" is the most significant number Glee has ever done. Just look at the reactions of no less than four people in the audience: Rachel acknowledges that Puck might be a suitable mate for her after all; Finn is jealous, although he has no right to be so, because he's with Quinn at the time; Quinn shows a reaction similar to Rachel's, making this the origin of the idea to give Puck a try-out as her child's father three episodes later (which, because of Puck's simultaneous "sexting" with Santana, in turn leads to the Quinn-Santana rivalry which becomes so prominent in the first episode of season 2); and Santana shows a reaction similar to Finn's, making this the point of origin of her sexual rivalry with Rachel, which, although the object of jealousy later shifts from Puck to Finn, has its strongest repercussion with the Finchel break-up in "Special Education." (And btw, "Sweet Caroline" also has one of those beautiful Mike-Brittany moments smile.gif )

Wonderful observations, especially the insight you provide on "Sweet Caroline"! Just like you mention the correlation between song and plot, I'm going to say that we often neglect to appreciate the correlation between song and character development. I really enjoy how many of the musical numbers aren't just filler, but play active roles in furthering a character's understanding of herself and also highlighting less obvious struggles or feelings to the viewer.

This is especially true of Rachel because of 1) her status as a three-dimensional character decides that her tangle of thoughts and feelings are invariably more complicated, and 2) the the show's narrative construst: we're asked to empathize with her, the outsider, time and time again (by being shown how she truly works through her solos) when none of the other characters will, sometimes not even Finn. For instance...

"What I Did for Love"

Because of Finn's line "you didn't do this because you love Glee club, but because you love yourself more," a lot of people may have assumed that Rachel's extremely selfish act of sending Sunshine away was done out of her love for herself. While this is partly true, it is also equally misleading. Rachel's "love" for herself isn't rooted in vanity as much as it is in her self-preservation instincts, which inevitably kick in whenever she doesn't have anything to hang on to. But really, the whole aim of her character is to be embraced by the Glee club, to be welcomed into the circle by her friends--former friends, sorry. Everything about the way it's shot, with a lonely Rachel walking the halls by herself, and especially the cut to an isolated Rachel standing outside of the Glee club looking in (very subtle, as usual tongue.gif), is enough evidence of this. In other words: the solo allowed us to see that the real reason behind her disastrous decision stemmed from her desperate attempts to cling onto the love and acceptance she received recently from her peers, love and acceptance she didn't get last year from Shelby, from Jesse (and ended ironically in a reverse order as she had planned).

"Firework"

Here, Rachel takes Finn's "fireworks" comment, a perceived diss to their relationship, and turns it around, against him--for her. You want fireworks, huh? I'll show you a firework. She channels her pain and converts it into new energy, doing exactly what Kurchelcedes were talking about during the sleepover. And in this way, this pivotal scene is not just an unmoving tableau that "captures" Rachel's mood-of-the-moment, but her internal crossing in motion: self-awareness reached through the purging of emotion, reached by "singing about it." Lea does a fantastic job at working the transition point when she suddenly breaks into that 1000-watt grin midway through the song.

Aside from the implications it has for her character development, Rachel's pursuit of "Firework," which is bursting to the brim with authentic passion and meaning, also serves to further cheapen the so-called "fireworks," the petty game, that Finn is intent on pursuing.

ThePik

ThePik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts
- Jessalyn's acting (better than Cory. Honestly, I think best the show has ever had.)
- Terri in general (people complain how she ruined season one? Without her, there would have been no season 1.)
- Jenna's acting (for the love of god people, re-watch "Wheels" and "Dream On" - there is more than just My Funny Valentine.)
- Jenna's dancing (Watch season one. She got no solos then, either - her dancing skills are awesome.)
- Jenna's voice (Easily one of the most diverse singers...and no one appreciates it except for Tina fans.)
- Tina. Period.
- "What I Did For Love" - I can't be the only one who thinks this is Rachel's best song / scene? Right?
- "One Less Bell To Answer, a House is Not a Home" - This duet is the love child of two of the best singers on Glee, filmed beautifully, and sung so mind boggling well that it should induce eargasms each play through. Why do people not like it!?

specifics

specifics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
- Overlooked songs:
"One of Us". The show cut down the number by 2/3rds, and cut out the Quirt (Quinn/Kurt?) duet, which sounds like two heavenly angels singing to combine a phenomena of absolutely clear, crystal-cut voices. It's my absolute favorite part of the song, and all of the other solos sound amazing in their parts.
"One Less Bell to Answer/A House is Not a Home" This song is absolutely amazing, and it's sad that people overlook the song simply because it was put in an episode that was heavy on April.
"Dream a Little Dream of Me" one of Kevin's underlooked songs. His facial expression through the whole song was great, and even though the Tike dancing was a little... not good, the acting from the characters were lovely.

Acting skills & things related:
- Jessalyn Gilsig. I think we can all agree on that.
- Telly Leung's (Warbler Wes) singing voice. Guy can sing broadway, and can sing it pretty well. It's a shame that Glee didn't use his voice, because the show should have more male broadway singers.
- Dianna Agron's facial reactions/expressions. They give away so much and make her acting a whole more realistic along with giving Quinn more depth to her character.
- The actors/actresses breaking character and acting like themselves during group performances. Such as in DDAO with Achele, Naya/Kevin, or LAP with Lea/Amber.
- Despite how much Finn is thrown around back and forth in terms of character development and such, Cory's able to implement some of his own dorkiness into the character, which may be why a lot of people are able to tolerate his character.
- Darren's handling of dramatic scenes (in OS)
- Context of songs that can be analyzed to the max and be absolutely perfect for certain situations. (see above for the discussion? haha)

Merakis

Merakis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Becky Jackson. I honestly think that she should have her own sub storyline. I find her character so interesting and I also love her relationship between her and Sue.
Also, Dianna Agron's voice. Loads of people say that it isn't very powerful unlike many of the other cast members, but that's what I love about her. I think her voice is way underrated and in my opinion, she should have more solos.

Auntie Snixx

Auntie Snixx

I wants to get my mac on...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
Naya and Cory's acting
Terri Shuester
Harry Shum Jr. - seriously hot
Chord's voice
Matt Rutherford, Sandy Ryerson and Howard Bamboo.

QUOTE (Merakis @ Apr 9 2011, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Dianna Agron's voice. Loads of people say that it isn't very powerful unlike many of the other cast members, but that's what I love about her. I think her voice is way underrated and in my opinion, she should have more solos.

This. I want her to sing a Regina Spektor song on the show.

Rachel Hudson

Rachel Hudson

I love you, Cory.

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,799 posts
  • GFA '12: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '13: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '14: Best Writer
I think Finchel are underrated in general. Many resent them because they don't like that they're the main couple or want Finn or Rachel with someone else, but their duets are great, and their scenes have great acting.

Mrs. William Schuester

Mrs. William Schuester

William Michael Schuester

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,056 posts
  • GFA '13: Biggest Character Stan
  • GFA '14: Biggest Will Stan
I'd say Matthew Morrison/Will Schuester is incredibly underrated. Matt's an incredible actor (just watch the scene in Mattress where he finds out Terri has been lying to him) and Will is pretty underrated as a character. I mean, without Will, we would have no Glee club because he is the one teacher that cared enough to restart it after Sandy got fired.

Matt's singing is also pretty underrated this season in particular. He's got an incredible voice that I think should be heard much more than what we've gotten this season.

I think that Matt's rapping is also underrated. I thought Gold Digger, Bust A Move and Ice Ice Baby were pretty steller. He can rap just as well as the other boys imo.

I also think the adults in general are overrated. I'd love for them to get back the screentime they had in the F13.

GleeTime

GleeTime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I'd say:

-Chord comedic acting, he's really funny!
-Dianna's facial expressions, general acting, and voice.
-Coach Bieste as a whole.
-Artie's voice

-Glee's writing. Everyone (including myself) bitches about it all the time and I'm certainly not in love with a lot of the things they do, but for the most part I think they get more right than they get wrong. They give us funny, interesting, entertaining characters every week and even the really bad plots are still pretty watchable.

Sam Evans

Sam Evans

HAVVNG TROUBBLE BREATHIN LOL

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 43,489 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Gay
  • GFA '13: Favorite Mod/Admin
  • GFA '14: Biggest Sam Stan
QUOTE (Now Press Tab @ Feb 16 2012, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This. I want her to sing a Regina Spektor song on the show.

Ooh, I've wanted her to sing Eet for a while.

Auntie Snixx

Auntie Snixx

I wants to get my mac on...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
QUOTE (beekowski @ Apr 8 2011, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OT: One of the most underappreciated musical numbers on Glee for me is "Like a Virgin." It has a perfect choreography involving the three couples, the voices blend beautifully, and the song also has significant plot relevance. It is also one of those Glee numbers that is fascinating because it cannot be located in either reality (singing while trying to do the deed?) or fantasy (how can three virgins have the same fantasy?), but is situated somewhere in-between.

I loved Like a Virgin...although it was probably because it was the first time we heard Naya sing on the show.

Ellaria Sand

Ellaria Sand

Snake Charmer. The Serpent's Whore.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts
QUOTE (GleeTime @ Feb 17 2012, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd say:

-Chord comedic acting, he's really funny!

Phylos

Phylos

PhyloS

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,270 posts
  • GFA '12: Smartest
QUOTE (WillSchuester'sGirl @ Feb 17 2012, 04:04 PM)
I'd say Matthew Morrison/Will Schuester is incredibly underrated. Matt's an incredible actor (just watch the scene in Mattress where he finds out Terri has been lying to him) and Will is pretty underrated as a character. I mean, without Will, we would have no Glee club because he is the one teacher that cared enough to restart it after Sandy got fired.

Matt's singing is also pretty underrated this season in particular. He's got an incredible voice that I think should be heard much more than what we've gotten this season.

I think that Matt's rapping is also underrated. I thought Gold Digger, Bust A Move and Ice Ice Baby were pretty stellar. He can rap just as well as the other boys imo.

I also think the adults in general are overrated. I'd love for them to get back the screentime they had in the F13.

Agree on Matt's singing and rapping.

Also agree with the people who mentioned Chord's acting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids