30013 replies to this topic

Rebecca Bunch

Rebecca Bunch

Is that conceited?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,270 posts
  • GFA '14: Biggest Kurt Stan
The summer hiatus between season 2 and season 3 was the most fun I have ever had in this fandom. The summer tour was crazy and it was fun speculating about season 3 back when everyone was still optimistic about the show.

Octavia Blake

Octavia Blake

And darlin', you got a great shape.

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,026 posts
  • GFA '15: Mod Spotlight

All this talk has me looking at some of the really great Glee Live pictures there are, so many amazing shots.

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton

Finchel Forever <3

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,640 posts
  • GFA '12: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '13: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '14: Best Writer
  • GFA '15: Best Writer/Roleplayer

I went to Glee Live.  June 9, 2011 in DC :)  My seats were far from the best, but I was so excited to see them in person :)

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

No wonder I'm crazy! This just solves it all ♥

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,677 posts
  • GFA '14: Biggest Brittany and Santana Stan
  • GFA '15: Best Friendship: Karina & Valerie

All this talk has me looking at some of the really great Glee Live pictures there are, so many amazing shots.

lol I remember all the "GET OUT OF THE WAY CHRIS" at these pics :lol:

5940335624_a972ebdf63_z.jpg

Maggie Sawyer

Maggie Sawyer

I heart you too

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,639 posts
  • GFA '13: Best Poster
  • GFA '14: Biggest Gleek
  • GFA '15: Most Positive

The summer hiatus between season 2 and season 3 was the most fun I have ever had in this fandom. The summer tour was crazy and it was fun speculating about season 3 back when everyone was still optimistic about the show.

Until graduation!gate happened lol. Good times

http://www.hollywood...s-colfer-210869

Cylelle

Cylelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Arrrggh... Look at the date on that article.

Exactly two years to the day before we lost Cory.  :(

And it still tears me up that because of Ryan jumping the gun with that article and its subsequent fall-out, we never got the New York spin-off that was so clearly on the cards at the end of S2.  How things might have been different if that show had gone ahead as planned...

Octavia Blake

Octavia Blake

And darlin', you got a great shape.

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,026 posts
  • GFA '15: Mod Spotlight
I'm not so sure it would've happened. Declining ratings and interest played a huge part.

Cylelle

Cylelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

I don't know.  That article came out at the height of Glee's popularity.  They'd just come off their highly successful 40+ date tour, Klaine was in its infancy and hadn't yet been 'ruined' for many of their fans, things were looking up for Brittana after that pair had received increased focus during the end of S2 and Finchel were back together again and on course for an interesting S3.  The music was still selling well and the awards and accolades hadn't yet stopped.

I think the only slight negative ripple was the situation with Chord not being upgraded / rehired. 

If that article had said that Lea, Cory and Chris would be graduating and moving on to their own spin-off instead of implying that they might be leaving the Glee-world altogether, I believe the reaction would have been huge excitement, not just from the fans but from the media as well. Instead, Chris woke up the next morning to his second Emmy nomination and reporters asking him for his reaction on being 'fired' from Glee.  Which in turn led to Ryan's hissy-fit of an interview with (I think it was) Deadline, Brad and Ian's Comic-Con mess-up and the eventual need for Dana Walden to step up for Fox and lay down the law to her wayward creatives.

Add to that the new writers for S3 who didn't do as well as many hoped they would and the (lack of) equality issues which plagued the season (possibly connected to the outside influence of the US having its election year), and things were markedly different at the end of S3 than they were at the end of S2.

At that point, the spin-off was well and truly dead and the main show itself had started its decline.  But a lot of what led us to that moment began (publicly at least) with that first article from Ryan and the anxieties that came from it.

Scott Eastwood

Scott Eastwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,950 posts

I don't know.  That article came out at the height of Glee's popularity.  They'd just come off their highly successful 40+ date tour, Klaine was in its infancy and hadn't yet been 'ruined' for many of their fans, things were looking up for Brittana after that pair had received increased focus during the end of S2 and Finchel were back together again and on course for an interesting S3.  The music was still selling well and the awards and accolades hadn't yet stopped.

I think the only slight negative ripple was the situation with Chord not being upgraded / rehired. 

If that article had said that Lea, Cory and Chris would be graduating and moving on to their own spin-off instead of implying that they might be leaving the Glee-world altogether, I believe the reaction would have been huge excitement, not just from the fans but from the media as well. Instead, Chris woke up the next morning to his second Emmy nomination and reporters asking him for his reaction on being 'fired' from Glee.  Which in turn led to Ryan's hissy-fit of an interview with (I think it was) Deadline, Brad and Ian's Comic-Con mess-up and the eventual need for Dana Walden to step up for Fox and lay down the law to her wayward creatives.

Add to that the new writers for S3 who didn't do as well as many hoped they would and the (lack of) equality issues which plagued the season (possibly connected to the outside influence of the US having its election year), and things were markedly different at the end of S3 than they were at the end of S2.

At that point, the spin-off was well and truly dead and the main show itself had started its decline.  But a lot of what led us to that moment began (publicly at least) with that first article from Ryan and the anxieties that came from it.

but announcing spin offs, when they weren't already green lit would be very risky. Also they did have complaints over story writing particularly with the Britney Spears tribute episode and Rocky Horror being to similar. Also some of the actors did get vocal about them changing the script on set, often times  last minute (both Jane Lynch & Matthew Morrison vocally complained on radio). And truth is Ryan Murphy seemed to move on from Glee to AHS. With Ryan it seems when he moves on his other projects take a serious hit, with Feud now being his focus AHS seems to be going through same thing

Cylelle

Cylelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Oh I agree.  The spin-off needed to have been green-lit first.  It was clearly in discussions though (and had been for several months by that point) and the writers all but sign-posted that there would be one during the closing episodes of S2.

But if he wasn't able to officially announce a spin-off, then Ryan should have been far more careful about saying that three of the show's most popular stars (as well as several others) wouldn't be back again after the coming season.  That sort of news was bound to cause an uproar (as indeed it did).

I also don't doubt that there may have been tensions behind the scenes already in S2, but the real decline in ratings and public interest hadn't yet begun to take hold.  Just a look at the figures for the tour that ended a scant fortnight before that article came out proves that Glee was still pretty much at the top of its game.

A fall was probably inevitable and always coming.  But Glee: New York might have been just as much a way of moving on for Ryan as any of his other projects ended up being, depending on exactly how the set-up for doing two shows was structured.  I actually believe it was, for a while, where his interest lay.  And then, sadly, it all went wrong...

Fondue For Two!

Fondue For Two!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Can you explain the bolded part? I don't think I've seen or heard about any of that but I'm rather curious.

Second, what the heck was up with the new writers still not knowing what they were doing? I remember everyone being worried when that one writer from Buffy came on because she was known for tragic writing. But I have no idea about the rest.

but announcing spin offs, when they weren't already green lit would be very risky. Also they did have complaints over story writing particularly with the Britney Spears tribute episode and Rocky Horror being to similar. Also some of the actors did get vocal about them changing the script on set, often times  last minute (both Jane Lynch & Matthew Morrison vocally complained on radio). And truth is Ryan Murphy seemed to move on from Glee to AHS. With Ryan it seems when he moves on his other projects take a serious hit, with Feud now being his focus AHS seems to be going through same thing

How were the Britney Spears and Rocky Horror episodes too similar? 

jaymcb

jaymcb

"Now they are all looking for a Lea Michele type"

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • From the Top: Member Since 2009

Can you explain the bolded part? I don't think I've seen or heard about any of that but I'm rather curious.

Second, what the heck was up with the new writers still not knowing what they were doing? I remember everyone being worried when that one writer from Buffy came on because she was known for tragic writing. But I have no idea about the rest.

First question:

https://www.mjsbigbl...off-failure.htm

Cylelle

Cylelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Thanks Jay.  That pretty much covers it.

There are some interesting links in that article too - covering Chris' response and going into more detail about what Dana Walden said.  I know there were two other articles of specific interest.  The first was Ryan's follow-up interview in which he initially said there would no longer be a spin-off and it was the actors' (implied Chris' in particular) fault it wasn't happening, before pulling back a little on the blame. The second was when Dana Walden waded in to put out the fires about a week after it all kicked off.

Scott Eastwood

Scott Eastwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,950 posts

I believe it was during these two episodes, in which a famous writer (I think the guy who wrote American psycho) said "It would be nice if the writers actually met each other" , this could have been later though 

It's been awhile since I've actually watched Glee but I believe it had to do with two things first Will/Carl at times felt a little rehashed to some and Also Carl during the Britney tribute Carl was  trying to get the principle to let him speak to students about Dental hygiene and it never was allowed. In Rocky Horror they were ultimately allowed to perform the play for the school.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users