Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Disabled Actors Upset About Wheels & Artie

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

VivaLaVieBoheme

VivaLaVieBoheme

I don't own emotion.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

QUOTE (thewronggirl @ Mar 28 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Artie wasn't born with this disability, correct? He had the ability to walk before the accident. It makes perfect sense to me that he wishes he wasn't in a wheelchair, especially if he used to be able to walk. That doesn't really have anything to do with not being proud of his accomplishments. I don't see how it will open a can of worms. People wish they're doing things they can't all the time.

To us, it may make sense that he would want to walk again but to other people who don't follow the show as religiously as we do, they might think he was born that way and now wants to change. Thus, they might think it's a bad message. It's not going to be about Artie, it's going to be about disability pride. Personally, I'm really hoping no one's going to care because it's just a sweet story and of course Glee isn't trying to be anti-disability but it's probably not going to be viewed that way.

MFace

MFace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
for some reason, i always just knew he wasn't really disabled.. idk why. hahaha

must be my spidey sense.

AnneBoleyn

AnneBoleyn

Kurtsie pride

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
I think the subject is a very sensitive one. I understand that Artie wasn't born with his disability, but he seems well adjusted, so I think he might wonder how it'd be to be able to walk, but end up accepting himself.

fetch

fetch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
QUOTE (Dominick @ Mar 28 2010, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People like to cause trouble.

Some people like to challenge things, yes, even when people are telling them "what are you gettinh so upset about? this is just the way it is". If people like that didn't exist, women still wouldn't be able to vote. Blacks and whites would still not be able to get married in the US. Nothing would change in our society if there weren't people who got u and said "hey, maybe this isn't the way it should be" even when people are laughing and calling them oversensitive.

AnneBoleyn

AnneBoleyn

Kurtsie pride

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
QUOTE (fetch @ Mar 29 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some people like to challenge things, yes, even when people are telling them "what are you gettinh so upset about? this is just the way it is". If people like that didn't exist, women still wouldn't be able to vote. Blacks and whites would still not be able to get married in the US. Nothing would change in our society if there weren't people who got u and said "hey, maybe this isn't the way it should be" even when people are laughing and calling them oversensitive.

Lynd

Lynd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,569 posts
I'm in a wheelchair and I sometimes think about what it'd be like to walk,so does that mean i'm any less proud and acceptinng of myself?No.

Even less so in Artie's case seeing as he could walk at some point.Surely he can't be expected to just forget about that.

VivaLaVieBoheme

VivaLaVieBoheme

I don't own emotion.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
I think I'm being misunderstood. I support disability pride. I also support Artie wondering what it's like to walk. I have no problem with the storyline. What I'm saying is that other people are not going to like it and I'm really dreading seeing the way those people are going to blow it out of proportion. I wish the would remember it's just a TV show sometimes, and not the necessarily a stepping stone for their cause.

Keyboard Samurai

Keyboard Samurai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
I think something that also needs to be considered concerning Artie's wanting to walk is that a big part of New Directions is the choreography. When all of his friends are dancing and he's surrounded by it, it's only natural to want to join in.

gLeek_of_95

gLeek_of_95

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
QUOTE (Shelly @ Nov 13 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aaand back to Glee. I think it's awesome that they hired Lauren Potter to play Becky, so kudos to the producers for that. Maybe disabled actors shouldn't have specifically targeted Glee because of this, but it was smart of them to use the show to draw attention to their cause...

i think people just use the most public thing to get their points across. someone commented earlier in this post that it wouldn't be fair to kevin if they hired someone just because they had a physical disability. personally, i think it was a good idea to have kevin play the roll of artie. i say this because i think it is good to have someone who can walk have the realization that being in a wheelchair isn't as fun as it may look at times. kevin himself said in an interview (sorry, can[t remember where) that he got to know a lot of people who are in wheelchairs and playing the roll has opened his eyes and he has a newfound respect and admiration for them. i think that thats beautiful! much better than, " i'm in a chair and yet i made it big! you can do anything!". i think that kevin is able to get the message across a lot better....

QUOTE (Lynd @ Mar 29 2010, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in a wheelchair and I sometimes think about what it'd be like to walk,so does that mean i'm any less proud and acceptinng of myself?No.

Even less so in Artie's case seeing as he could walk at some point.Surely he can't be expected to just forget about that.

You are a real inspiration. You know, I have always had the opposite question: What would it be like to not be able to move my legs...

Do you, personally have any problems with the roll of Artie being played by Kevin McHale?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids