Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

My heart broke for Finn and Quinn

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

GleekMama

GleekMama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I got all sorts of choked up when Finn was singing to his unborn daughter. That was so beautiful!...........but I was blubbering like a baby when he broke down in front of his mom!!! Amazing scene!

lalalexee

lalalexee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
QUOTE (jaymcb @ Nov 18 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry I love you Dianna but you don't do crying well.

i totally agree! im glad im not the only one who thinks that.
i felt really bad for quinn though, my parents would never do that to me.
i really hope she tells finn the truth about the baby. it's not fair to him to think he's the father!
every week i get more frustrated!!

DaveM81

DaveM81

Sandwiched between Quichel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
QUOTE (lalalexee @ Nov 19 2009, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i really hope she tells finn the truth about the baby. it's not fair to him to think he's the father!
every week i get more frustrated!!
This will be resolved before the first 13 episodes are over. It's been confirmed by Cory in an interview he gave that was posted today. I know we're all screaming for the truth to come out about Quinn's baby and about Terri's "baby". It will soon enough!

Here's a link to the interview:
Interview

myraaar

myraaar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
The tears were gathering in my eyes since Finn sang to that sonogram and I was choking back the urge to cry throughout the episode... sorry to those who thought that Dianna's crying scene looked fake, I thought that it was fairly convincing and I wasn't really moved at all with Lea's crying.

Oh the floodgates opened when the Glee kids started singing 'Lean on Me'... I was bawling like a baby.

DaveM81

DaveM81

Sandwiched between Quichel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Oh the floodgates opened when the Glee kids started singing 'Lean on Me'... I was bawling like a baby.

For some reason, this song didn't affect me like "Keep Holding On" did. I saw this song coming since it was mentioned, but KHO kinda came outta nowhere and hit me hard. I was smiling and able to enjoy this song and the scene as a happy experience instead of a tearful, happy one.

Which song moved you more? Keep Holding On or Lean on Me?

Whivit

Whivit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
QUOTE (DaveM81 @ Nov 19 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For some reason, this song didn't affect me like "Keep Holding On" did. I saw this song coming since it was mentioned, but KHO kinda came outta nowhere and hit me hard. I was smiling and able to enjoy this song and the scene as a happy experience instead of a tearful, happy one.

Which song moved you more? Keep Holding On or Lean on Me?

Lean on Me; the song itself is better, I LOVED Kevin and Amber's singing, and the emotions from the cast/characters just... seemed more genuine. I think in KHO, it was more choreographed, and so it was harder to see their emotions (except for a few, like for Chris). But Lean on Me wasn't as choreographed and was more about the singing and characters... it really made me cry, lol. And it's just a GORGEOUS song. KHO is only good because Glee made it good. xD

Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
As a Christian man with two teenage daughters I was disappointed with the stereotypical view of Quinn's father as the unforgiving Christian (I'm sure Glenn Beck wouldn't agree with what Quinn's father did either). I can't think of a single Christian man that I personally know that would do what Quinn's father did. Throwing my daughters out of the house would be the absolute last thing in the world I would do (and I know Jesus wouldn't want me to). But then again it seems Christians are the one group that it is okay to negatively portray.

I get what you're saying but sadly it happens. I live in Australia and my Year 9 teacher had his daughter fall pregnant that year, when she was 14. This man was a 'very committed Christian' who kicked her out. And tried to tell the school that he was no longer paying her fees and therefore she couldn't go to the school. (Anglican school) My headmaster won a LOT of fans when he let her stay. (and would have fired him if he could have but had no legal reason) One of the other teachers took her in and she lived with her until she graduated. The man still can't understand why he was never able to control a class after that. (he was also my Year 12 Biblical Studies teacher, it ended up being a study class because we'd go to class armed with quotes and ask him how he could be so unforgiving of his daughter. Tragically he still refuses to talk to her)

On the other hand, my pastor's daughter who is 17 has just told the church she is pregnant, and her parents are behind her 100%. (its the reason why I go to this church, its what I consider real Christians)

simmy

simmy

If I were your parents, I would sell you back.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
Am I the only one that didn't get teary-eyed at this episode? blink.gif I mean I didn't at Wheels either...but I am not a crier. Last week's was more sad/touching/emotional, IMO, and I didn't expect anything less than for them to kick Quinn out, to be honest, after the way they had been briefly described.

Whivit

Whivit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
I didn't cry during Wheels the first time around, second time I did during the Kurt/Burt scenes and whenever I rewatch Kurt singing DG. But I find this episode more tearjerking. x_X I'm also not a cryer, lol, but Glee is really ironically named... haha...

Who's That Guy?

Who's That Guy?

WWMD?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts
QUOTE (SiL3nT @ Nov 18 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank god it wasn't only me who thinks this.

While I was really moved by Quinn/Finn throughout Ballads, the only time I teared up was when Rachel started crying during the final Will/Rachel speech/scene. Lea just manages to look so much more heartbroken then Dianna does in her acting to me, and Rachel seemed like she was about to roll over and die (Quinn to me seemed like while she wanted to do exactly that, she wasn't actually about to, in the same way that Rachel was).

The way Dianna sort of lifts her head when she sighs and cries just seems to make really fake to me. unsure.gif

I thought it was the other way round, i find Lea tends to over act at times, i felt Dianna was more human and natural.

I forgot that Rachel even cried in the episode, i had to go back and rewatch why/when she was crying.

Diff strokes and all that.

dg8672

dg8672

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
QUOTE (falconsooner @ Nov 18 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a Christian man with two teenage daughters I was disappointed with the stereotypical view of Quinn's father as the unforgiving Christian (I'm sure Glenn Beck wouldn't agree with what Quinn's father did either). I can't think of a single Christian man that I personally know that would do what Quinn's father did. Throwing my daughters out of the house would be the absolute last thing in the world I would do (and I know Jesus wouldn't want me to). But then again it seems Christians are the one group that it is okay to negatively portray.

I have been a huge fan of the show (love the songs) but this cheap plot ploy was very disappointing.

As a Christian, I had a similar reaction to yours at first. Then, as I thought about it, I came to a couple of realizations:

1 - For the most part, the show portrays a lot of the characters as stereotypes: the flamboyantly gay kid, the dumb jock, the diva-wanna be theater hound, etc. I figure, eh, they're just part of the group.

2 - Like someone else mentioned, a lot of parents - regardless of political or religious background - have a similar reaction to this kind of news at first.

My HOPE is that, once Mr. Fabray has a chance to calm down and think about it, there will be a reconciliation somewhere down the line. If that doesn't happen, I may return to my "disappointed" stance.

Chuckney

Chuckney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
When Finn broke down to his mother, I cried. I wasn't expecting to at all, but suddenly there I was. sad.gif

After an episode where Finn's whole contribution was variations on "I'm under a lot of pressure" to see him actually doing/saying different things again was good.

Also hoping that we get a reconcilliation for the Fabrays.

MacyLightfoot

MacyLightfoot

I've Got The Vapours Y'all!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts
So a few things....

1 - Up untill this episode I was pretty sure Finn wasn't that into the baby. He was standing by Quinn because he had to and he'd be kind of relieved when he found out the baby wasn't his. Clearly I was wrong. I feel bad for him now, and obviously once the truth comes out things are going to be really really messy for everyone.

2 - Quinns parents. I'm Catholic and it does annoy me the way that "Christians" are portrayed on a lot of TV shows. The thing is though that people only see the religion and assume that's why they are the way they are. I mean pretty much everyone here in Ireland is some sort of Christian, but we're not like that. Maybe the older generations might be a bit preachy or judgmental, but nobody I know would ever kick their pregnant child out of the home. The point is, I think it's more than just the religion that makes them that way, it's politics, environment, money, family pressure etc. etc. The problem is that when watching these things on TV people only see the religion.

As far as I'm concerned Quinns parents kicked her out because they suck at being parents, nothing to do with their religion.

wt042

wt042

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
QUOTE (MacyLightfoot @ Nov 19 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So a few things....

1 - Up untill this episode I was pretty sure Finn wasn't that into the baby. He was standing by Quinn because he had to and he'd be kind of relieved when he found out the baby wasn't his. Clearly I was wrong. I feel bad for him now, and obviously once the truth comes out things are going to be really really messy for everyone.

2 - Quinns parents. I'm Catholic and it does annoy me the way that "Christians" are portrayed on a lot of TV shows. The thing is though that people only see the religion and assume that's why they are the way they are. I mean pretty much everyone here in Ireland is some sort of Christian, but we're not like that. Maybe the older generations might be a bit preachy or judgmental, but nobody I know would ever kick their pregnant child out of the home. The point is, I think it's more than just the religion that makes them that way, it's politics, environment, money, family pressure etc. etc. The problem is that when watching these things on TV people only see the religion.

As far as I'm concerned Quinns parents kicked her out because they suck at being parents, nothing to do with their religion.

The thing is, TV likes to focus on sterotypes. Especially American TV. Jewish people are a certain way (see Pucks Mom), Christians are a certain way, Jehovah's witnesses (although christian) are viewed a certian way. Hell even Canadians are the "typical" canadian. You kind of have to take it with a grain of salt... unless they get downright offensive.
I also agree that Quinn's parents aren't supposed to be an example of the Christian houshold but of a very old fashioned household. Very caught up in hiding their dirty laundry. They even played that up with her mom saying that she didn't want Quinn's dad to lift a finger because she was his wife. They have very old fashioned values.

Also on the Finn/Quinn relationship. Things are going to be messy no matter what. Finn has grown attatched to the idea of being a father and Quinn has put herself in a very sticky situation. But because of Finn's attitude and personality and the fact that Quinn is now living with Finn I see it going two ways. She tells Finn or he finds out from another source and Quinn pleads that she's sorry and she chose him and he's upset and hurt but can forgive her and decided to be the father. Or all of that happens and they decide to end their relationship. Either way I know that Finn will be hurt and angry but he will find a way to forgive her and be their for her if she needs any help. Thats just the kind of person he is.

Like Mercedes said. Being a dad is one thing, being a father is something completely different and it means a lot that Quinn chose Finn for this role.

simmy

simmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
My best friend is 21, worked, went to school, lived with her fiance. Her grandparents that raised her helped support her monetarily (given the current state of the economy). They told her grandparents that she was pregnant, immediate reaction was to cut her off financially and then force them to get married (which they didn't after she told them to back off). This went on for about a month. They were extremely upset by the fact that she was pregnant out of wedlock, but then they realized that there is a baby on the way (any day now!) and are all back to normal and accepting, and I would say even excited about the baby.

Those extremist views are out there and just because the show is choosing to go that route (it probably fits in to where they want to go with the story better, and I trust them) doesn't necessarily mean that they are stereotyping. Her parents were wacked but its nothing that could never happen. I do look to see Quinn's mom especially extending a hand to her daughter, she appeared more sympathetic, but because of those "old fashioned" views, she did as her husband said. rolleyes.gif

Regardless, the writers are taking viewers for a ride where Quinn is concerned...(this is not including myself, as I said before, I was a Quinn fan since "Ru Paul" tongue.gif )

Pilot through Acafellas: Majority of people hate her.

Preggers - Mash-up: Gaining more and more sympathy.

Wheels: People literally want to punch her.

Ballad: Back to sympathy.

So will be interesting to see what happens between now and Sectionals.

kg1507

kg1507

"Are we a part of something special?" "Yes."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
QUOTE (SiL3nT @ Nov 19 2009, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I was really moved by Quinn/Finn throughout Ballads, the only time I teared up was when Rachel started crying during the final Will/Rachel speech/scene. Lea just manages to look so much more heartbroken then Dianna does in her acting to me, and Rachel seemed like she was about to roll over and die (Quinn to me seemed like while she wanted to do exactly that, she wasn't actually about to, in the same way that Rachel was).

That's when I cried too. I really like Rachel even though a lot of people hate her character (I guess the same way I dislike Quinn while everyone else adores her) and I agree - she did look very heartbroken. I really felt for her.

Man, all the characters made me want to cry in this episode. I hope the next one is lighter lol

QUOTE (MacyLightfoot @ Nov 19 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I'm also a Christian, and I think they just want to maintain their squeaky-clean image. I really do hope they will reconcile later on though.

MacyLightfoot

MacyLightfoot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts
QUOTE (simmy @ Nov 19 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My best friend is 21, worked, went to school, lived with her fiance. Her grandparents that raised her helped support her monetarily (given the current state of the economy). They told her grandparents that she was pregnant, immediate reaction was to cut her off financially and then force them to get married (which they didn't after she told them to back off). This went on for about a month. They were extremely upset by the fact that she was pregnant out of wedlock, but then they realized that there is a baby on the way (any day now!) and are all back to normal and accepting, and I would say even excited about the baby.

Those extremist views are out there and just because the show is choosing to go that route (it probably fits in to where they want to go with the story better, and I trust them) doesn't necessarily mean that they are stereotyping. Her parents were wacked but its nothing that could never happen. I do look to see Quinn's mom especially extending a hand to her daughter, she appeared more sympathetic, but because of those "old fashioned" views, she did as her husband said. rolleyes.gif

Regardless, the writers are taking viewers for a ride where Quinn is concerned...(this is not including myself, as I said before, I was a Quinn fan since "Ru Paul" tongue.gif )

Pilot through Acafellas: Majority of people hate her.

Preggers - Mash-up: Gaining more and more sympathy.

Wheels: People literally want to punch her.

Ballad: Back to sympathy.

So will be interesting to see what happens between now and Sectionals.

Well I get that, and as far as this individual show is concerned, everyone on it is a stereotype so I can't complain, but TV in general tends to paint christians in a very bad light. It would be nice if it turned out someone else on the show is also a christian, be it Catholic, Protestant or whatever, but have them be just a normal nice person and not ruled by their religion.

simmy

simmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
QUOTE (MacyLightfoot @ Nov 19 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I get that, and as far as this individual show is concerned, everyone on it is a stereotype so I can't complain, but TV in general tends to paint christians in a very bad light. It would be nice if it turned out someone else on the show is also a christian, be it Catholic, Protestant or whatever, but have them be just a normal nice person and not ruled by their religion.

It's weird though, because they never said "God is mad at you" or thrown the Bible at her, I guess we assume their religion is driving them (because she is/was in Christ Crusaders) and not the fact that their little girl has been deflowered and is now bringing a new life into the world.

To be honest, Christians don't need a TV show like Glee to be seen in a negative light (open any history book...). Thanks to people using religion as a weapon...but that's another discussion. tongue.gif

I could see Kurt being Catholic....I just can, and that would be an interesting thing for them to explore.

For the record: I am Catholic as well. wink.gif

MacyLightfoot

MacyLightfoot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts
QUOTE (simmy @ Nov 19 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's weird though, because they never said "God is mad at you" or thrown the Bible at her, I guess we assume their religion is driving them (because she is/was in Christ Crusaders) and not the fact that their little girl has been deflowered and is now bringing a new life into the world.

To be honest, Christians don't need a TV show like Glee to be seen in a negative light (open any history book...). Thanks to people using religion as a weapon...but that's another discussion. tongue.gif

I could see Kurt being Catholic....I just can, and that would be an interesting thing for them to explore.

For the record: I am Catholic as well. wink.gif

Well that's exactly my point. It's not the TV shows fault that people just automatically put their decisions down to the religion. It's more of an issue of how society sees things.
Like you said, at no point did Quinn or her parents say because we're Christian you've let us down, or anything like that, but people just assume it's because of their religion.

Like I've seen comments about this pregnancy thing where people have said that it's Quinns fault she's pregnant because she obviously didn't make him use a condom because she's a christian!!! That's why I don't really like the word "Christian" it's just an umberella word for a lot of different religions.

simmy

simmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
QUOTE (MacyLightfoot @ Nov 19 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like I've seen comments about this pregnancy thing where people have said that it's Quinns fault she's pregnant because she obviously didn't make him use a condom because she's a christian!!! That's why I don't really like the word "Christian" it's just an umberella word for a lot of different religions.

OMG...wow, I missed that discussion...So, everything is Quinn's fault, she impregnated herself, and she should be punched, right? wink.gif

Makes me want to give her a hug more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids