Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids

Rate "Mash-Off" & Official Pre-Show / Show Discussion

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate The Episode (99 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate The Episode

1. One of the best episodes ever! (25 votes [25.25%])

Percentage of vote: 25.25%

2. Amazing, great episode. (35 votes [35.35%])

Percentage of vote: 35.35%

3. It was good. (30 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

4. It was okay, disappointing. (6 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

5. It was bad. (2 votes [2.02%])

Percentage of vote: 2.02%

6. One of the worst episodes ever! (1 votes [1.01%])

Percentage of vote: 1.01%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Guest_Stephanie

Guest_Stephanie
  • Guests

Rate "Mash-Off" & Official Pre-Show / Show Discussion

Rachel Hudson

Rachel Hudson

I love you, Cory.

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,965 posts
  • GFA '12: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '13: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '14: Best Writer
Puck's Shelby voiceover..... ugh.

NayaIsPerfect

NayaIsPerfect

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
I'm with Puck on the whike 'hot for teacher' thing. GO SHUCK!!

lightningpr0ductions

lightningpr0ductions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Considering Puck is legal, Shuck is somewhat growing on me, although I still don't want it to become official.

Rachel Hudson

Rachel Hudson

I love you, Cory.

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,965 posts
  • GFA '12: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '13: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '14: Best Writer
Crazy Puck.......

Loved Rachel defending Finn!

KurtBlaine4Ever

KurtBlaine4Ever

The show must go all over the place, or something.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,966 posts
no tina?

Angelbee

Angelbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
So, I usually prefer to reserve my opinions until I've seen the episode at least twice (aka not just crappy livestream), but here are a few of my first impressions:

Drama, drama! I like it.
I'm not sure, but I think Shelby and Puck are growing on me, especially since he's legal. I think that he's really matured lately and that it would be good for Beth to have him in her life. We shall see...
I love the fact that Puck actually came clean about what Quinn (and he) was planning/had done.
And I liked the Shelby/Quinn scene - Shelby did the right thing; Quinn just isn't ready to be a part of her daughter's life yet, it seems.

The Rachel and Shelby scene was cute. I'm happy that a little has happened to pave the way for a closer future between them.

Finn basically outing Santana in the hallway... I almost fell off my chair. I love Glee moments when that happens, and it hasn't happened in a while (minus last week. Being a Klainer and liking Finchel, I spent last week on the floor to save myself from injury smile.gif ).

Santana can be really mean sometimes, and I thought at first she was asking for it, but, especially after the scene with Sue, I really just felt sorry for her. Finn crossed the line, there.
And the ending? The slap? Ooh...

I liked the debate - I hadn't read spoilers, so Rachel's abdication made my eyes widen. She did the right thing, and I'm glad that my Hummelberry is back. Although I have read a spoiler (even though I do try to keep away from them) that Kurt loses anyway.

The Rumour Has It/Someone like you mash-up. I was apprehensive when I first heard this was being done, because I'm an Adele fan and I didn't like how they did Rolling in the Deep last season, but I was interested to see how they'd handle it. But I didn't like it. Santana and Mercedes sounded great, but I didn't like the arrangement. I'd have prefered if they'd done one of (or both) the songs as solos.

So, basically, good episode (lots of drama), but didn't amaze me.

Ooh, sorry! Long post. And those are just my first impressions....

Finchel_Faithfully

Finchel_Faithfully

Finchel♥Monchele

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
Thank you Glee Gods for making Finn Hudson and putting him on my tv screen every week.
Santana confirmed that she's just a cruel bitch
Finn rocked
Finchel scenes were cute wub.gif
Finn singing again biggrin.gif wub.gif I've missed his beautiful voice.
Santana had everything coming to her tonight
Santana doesn't deserve someone like Brittany
Sue is trying to sabotage Burt's campaign
I liked the ND performance more than the TS performance
Again

FINN HUDSON RULES ALL! tongue.gif

JCag75

JCag75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The front of Puck's hair was tolerable...the first half of the episode anyway. I don't really care about the back too much
oh, and just because I'm a major fan VAN HALEN BABY!
So...Puck thinks to include Blaine but Finn can't? coughdouche!cough
Puck playing the piano is OFFICIALLY CANON!
Everyone wants Robot teachers? Isn't class boring enough?
Kurt believes the school has an obesity problem, the same thing Sue thought when she was principal
The boys suggesting groups to emulate. Did Puck just say the Jonas Brothers? WTF?
Actually...that would be WTP! as the sign says in Puck's locker. Hee!
And let the Santana childhood fics be written, garbage face etc. Low self esteem, boob job and never will it be addressed
What was Kurt wearing when he went to see Sue? Whatever it was, I kind of liked it.
Dodge Ball game ending was straight up rip off of a scene from first season Buffy. Incidently a season Marni Noxen claims to never have seen.
Shelby voted for Mercedes and therefore not even as objective as Will (but her reasoning was sound)
Santana's "apology" was very impressive. I bow down to the queen of bitchery.
Finn went the low road huh? Outing someone isn't exactly something a "nice guy" or a "leader" would do. I'm not saying Santana didn't deserve it just you know, he's supposed to be above that.
Anyone else reminded of the opening of Patton during Sue's election campaign commercials? No? Just checking.
I sang in the choir for years so let me take a moment to gloat...MY RANGE IS BETTER THAN MERCEDES! F BELOW MIDDLE C IS NOT HARD! YESS! hem hem but I of course am not fabulous, famous or on a major network television show so she's still superior to me.
So...New Directions was trying to lose with that mash up? Seriously, WTP? Mustaches? Bad costumes? Someone should ban Finn from making song selections and being the leader not only did he elect himself (as opposed to Rachel who was voted Captain in first season) but he officially SUCKS at it
Puck was trying to read the Mexican side of the instructions! Just flip the paper over! (Oh, and I think all his scenes should be played with either a dog or a baby from now on, seriously his acting was that much better)
The tiny crowd at the election speech session = no one actually cares. Now THAT'S high School!
So Kurt wants to ban dodge ball but not Slushies?
So many Commercials! Did the episode run short or something?
WHY IS PUCK IN BED WITH QUINN? GAH!

prettynpurple11

prettynpurple11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Wow, what an episode, and I loved every minute of it.

Finn/Santana - this rivalary was going to explode at some point and the way it was handled was excellent. Santana did cross the line first by taking the cheap shot at Rory at the dodgeball game. Her apology did cross the line as well and she deserved to be outed but I'm not faulting her because Finn did cross the line too and I wonder about that smear commerical against Sue. Who was the idiot who took the story of Finn and Santana in the hall to the competion? I don't think that it was Finn but may be and he definetly deserved that slap at the end.

The Debate - The only speaches I only bothered to watch was Rachel and Kurt's. Britney sounded like a robot herself, and doesn't really have a chance to win, And Stick what's his name with the Billy Ray Cryus mullet was just a useless waste of space. Kurt had the most powerful speach of the night, and just may be he will be an effective president, and get a zero tolerance against bullying policy at the school. Rachel dropping out of the election was perfect and am glad that she and Kurt are friends again.

Puck/Shelby - I like these two together, they have great chemistry and a real friendship. I liked the fact that he was the one who told her the truth but I have a feeling that Quin will do something crazy and kidnap or kill Beth.

Angelbee

Angelbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Kidnap? Kill? Do you really think even she would go that far? I mean, I'd say she's misguided and everything, but I don't think Quinn's criminally insane... yet wink.gif

SkySpilts

SkySpilts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
- Everytime someone says "baby back" all I can think is "I want my baby back baby back baby back baby back.."

- Puckfasa has been caged! And student teacher relationships are 'tricky'... yeah, and illegal.

- Blaine's pink zebra tie (most noticable in the track shot right at the start of the song)

- Puck's shirt gets tucked behind his guitar between shots... things like that annoy me.

- You can JUST see Lea turning to look at Dianna after Cory goes "CLASS DISMIIIIIIIISSED", they got to sit near each other for once!

- Is Darren Criss allergic to socks? It seems that Harry didn't want to wear any either, is there a sock shortage on the Glee set? Did they need all the extra sock to make the knee socks for the debate scene?

- Just as they start applauding, Lea looks at the camera for a split second.

- It totally goes without saying that Puck is hot for teacher, but Rachel is totally hot for the drummer.

- Socks and heels? I reiterate my earlier statement, clearly the majority of costume budget goes on Rachel's socks.

- Baboooooooons! Sue's campaign theme sounds a bit Deliverance.

- Emma! Hello! I almost forgot you existed.

- Anyone who still has a MySpace is unfit to lead, according to Brittany. And apparently Rachel isn't on MySpace anymore, says Kurt - has she updated to Facebook/Youtube?

- Winning is about poo flinging.

- The opposing team for New Directions and the Troubletones, is apparently called Unitards?! Also, World War Glee - they'll be using that in promos when all this comes to a head.

- You and I scene - more socks and heels for Rachel.

- Phenomenal begins with an F, and you need to keep Finn wet so you can roll him back into the sea.

- Mr Shue plays a Gibson electroacoustic.

- You and I mashup = having a stroke, but we like it so it's okay.

- Tina is wearing something that doesn't make her look like she should be a Suicide Girl!

- Sugar waving her phone about like a lighter.

- Just after "NEBRASKAAAAAAA" Sugar looks like she forgot what she was doing until someone shouted "put your hand up!!"

- The cafeteria was out of apples, but apparently had teeny tiny pumpkins?! Someone American riddle me this, do you have teeny tiny pumpkins on your salad bar?

- Shelby is hot, Puck is hot, Beth needs a dad and PUCK NEEDS TO EITHER GROW HIS HAIR OUT TOTALLY OR SHAVE IT OFF. Damn boy, mullhawk is not a look you are badass enough to pull off.

- When Shue walks into the choir room, Quinn, Blaine and Kurt are all stood on the chairs looking out the back window - this seems to happen every few episodes, with Kurt especially?

- After Kurt suggests Spice Girls, Rachel goes "Spice Girrrrls!" and when it's vetoed she does a little 'tear motion and a sad face haha.

- Finn's little put down to Blaine, looking at him when talking about giving the solo to the new guy then talking to Rory instead.

- Puck has a "WTP!" sticker in his locker, which I assume means "What The Puck!", and a cardboard sign with guitar picks stuck above it that says "G(something that isn't 'guitar') Picks" - he calls it a pick not a plectrum, love love love. Plus the paper drawings of classic guitars.

- Everyone seems to be looking their age in this episode, really tired.

- Rory refers to Santana as "that girl with the lips" - ironic after 'Trouty Mouth'?

- They're going overboard on the Irish famine references. "You look like the crops failed on your family's farm" and then "shut your potato hole" later.

- Santana's gran tried to sell her and she thought her name was 'Garbage Face' until kindergarten.

- Dodgeball? This side of the pond we settle things with a ruck, not by throwing balls at each other.

- What I can see on Rachel's application -

"Education:

William McKinley High School // Lima, Ohio
~ Anticipated Graduation w/Honours 2012

Extracurricular Activities:

Director of WMHS Glee Club // "New Directions"
~ Planned, scored and presented musical numbers.

Volunteer Involvement:
~ JCC tap class teacher 2008-2011
~Humane Society dog walker 2009-2010
~ Camp Counselor for Adopted Teens 2010

Performance Experience:

Vocal Fach(?): Lyric Soprano
Vocal Range: Mezzo - Soprano
Vocal Style: Classical/Musical Theater
Languages: English, Basic German, Basic French, Basic Italian
Diction: English, German, French, Italian, Latin
Education/Training
Singing: (15+ years - of Private Voice Training) Classical, Musical Theater, Jazz, Pop, Rock
Official member of the National Association of Singing (NAS)

and the letter -

"... gracious she refused to take much praise and instead thanked me for supporting the...

Rachel Berry is one of a handful of students about whom I have absolutely no (something)tions in terms of academic and personal success. I hold her in the highest regard, and am positive she will succeed in a university setting.

Warmest regards,

Shelby Corcoran"

- Rachel also wants Patti LuPone to recommend her for NYADA.

- How short are the shorts?!

- WE HAVE DODGEBALL THIS SIDE OF THE POND.

- Artie's chair doubles as a dodgeball battering ram.

- Quinn is super competetive when it comes to dodgeball, and protective or artie!

- "aaaaand if the lights are all ouuut" watch Britt's face haha

- Whoa, all that flying, how much is it going to hurt when they land on the gym floor?

- Mercedes didn't participate in throwing the dodgeballs at Rory, didn't laugh and looked down after.

- Sugar sounds JUST like Adele, and Adele sounds like banana cream pie.

- Mecedes is actually a super good leader, but not putting poster up means Brittany won't vote for her.

- "Stoooop the violeeeeence" how much to bet that wasn't scripted?

- Santana thinks Rory is from Scotland.

- I think the girl whose Uncle outs Santana in his campaign video is the cheerleader who looks back at Finn then walks past Santana just after he says "come out of the closet" you can see her in both the front and behind shots of her with a shocked look on her face.

- There is no proof that Burt Hummell is not married to a donkey.

- Puck can do magic!

- Why does Shelby need a new cot?(/crib) Didn't she have one before?

- Right at the start of the mashoff thing on the stage, when Will is first talking you can see Brittany in the background doing a handstand on the front of the seating.

- Rock Paper Scissor face off! The tension is almost too much for Rachel.

- Santanas face right at the start of the ND performance is brilliant, it's like she's having the same realization as me that Cory sort of looks like Rick Astley with his hair like that.

- Damien and Jenna sound super good together.

- Revisiting "I Say a Little Prayer" with Quinn, Rachel and Tina.

- I love how Rachel, Kurt and Britt's campaign posters are 'professional' but Mullet Head's are felt tip pen on construction paper.

- Also the music right at the start of the debate scene makes me think I've just walked into a Pokemon town.

- It's against school rules to pass gas into glass jars to sell in the cafeteria... They're out of apples but they have fart cups?

- Unicorn Kurt!

- Becky loves the idea of Topless Tuesdays!

- There appears to be another candidate sat with Mullet Head, Rachel, Britt and Kurt - most noticable when Kurt walks forward talking about the history of dodgeball, and the side shot of Rachel as she makes her speech.

- Rachel has a sign with her name on, a rainbow flag (which looks home made), a promo picture of Finn and a montage of her and her friends in her locket, plus what looks like some tickets at the bottom.

- Also, see behind her in this scene for the one and only example of 'Rick the Stick' campaign posters.

- (does "vote for the Berry best" make anyone else hum the Pokemon theme?)

- Kurt managed to find a houndstooth notebook.

- Rachel's gonna hug you now, okay?

- I really like Quinn's jacket!

- As soon as she realised the game was up, Quinn's face went psycho again. And oh NO she used the 'w' word... Does she know what artificial insemination entails?!

- Manatees have really thick skin.

- Apparently when the poo is really flung at the fan, Sue can have a serious moment and take responsibility for her mistakes.

- We don't do this sort of thing for campaigns over here, but I'm fairly sure using the photograph of a student without their consent is not A OK?

- Amber and Naya look super super hot in their mashup.

- The little looks between Santana and Britt as she walks back toward the group after she starts singing, and actually through the whole song, but it's more noticable there.

- Brittany's face as Amber sings her last line.

- Amber's reaction shot to the slap - with Sugar going totally over the top with the ":o" face behind her.

WHOA it's a long list this week! Anything I missed?

QUOTE (JaCole @ Nov 16 2011, 04:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- LOVED Mike and Blaine's moves during HFT
- when Santana told the TroubleTones to get some moist towels, halfway through her insult, Sugar was actually going to do it.
- Spice Girls song suggestion from Kurt, I'm all for it!
- Brittany: "Stop the violence"

Haha yes! And the other cheerleader grabs her like "oh honey, not really..."

TrixieSparkleFirecracker

TrixieSparkleFirecracker

I will always love you Cory

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts
Things I Noticed:
Puck runs funny and his mohawk is stupid

Bravo on the (brief) Hot For Teacher video callback total inappropriate mike stand use Mike and Blaine laugh.gif

Sue’s campaign ad… womp womp

Puck playing the piano wub.gif and Artie’s wave wub.gif wub.gif You and I(x2) wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Kurt wants them to do the Spice Girls… just like me

Blaine totally pulled a Rachel thinking Finn was talking about him

Never playing dodge ball with any of the kids from McKinley… they all go for the face. I would’ve loved to see one of the dives landed, cause I swear someone had to land on their head.

Poor Rory… the TT’s are bitches

Am I the only one not shocked that eventually Santana and Mercedes were going to fight over who was the leader of the TT’s?

Santana’s apology gone wrong/ Finn’s fed to foot in the mouth confrontation brutal…

Rachel’s reaction to Finn winning RPS reminding me of Finn and the coin flip (cute)

I actually loved Rick’s speech laugh.gif, Britt’s speech from childlike to sexual…
Did I see a Hot Chelle Rae poster in Rachel’s locker (BTW… you can remove the pics of her dad, but you can’t remove my memory that I saw them)

Thank god they previewed RHI/SLY cause it was a blurry mess due to my crying… poor Santana p.s. I hate Sue

Crazyjan

Crazyjan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts
This episode was better than some of the earlier ones this season. It was nice to see Sue (her ads were funny)again and Puck was funny in the beginning of the episode. Like it or not Puck and Shelby do have nice chemistry. Puck is good with Beth and truly wants what is best for her. Even he can see at this point it is not Quinn. The music was ok (not an Adele fan). I love Hall and Oates (but I didn't like this mash-up). I probably enjoyed the Hot for Teacher performance the most. Absolutely love that Rachel and Kurt made up. On the Finn and Santana thing: I understand his need to say what he did. She deserved that. But he never should have said it in the hallway. At the end when Santana slapped Finn I wish he was bold enough that he would have popped her right back.

zeri95

zeri95

• Pip
  • 1 posts
"Not even Rachel has a Myspace." Haha biggrin.gif

For the second episode in this season, Rachel did not sing at all!! I am shocked >.< I'm sure a lot of people will be happy that Santana and Mercedes are singing more (and even Tina and Quinn had little solos during the ND mash-up) but I need my weekly dose of Lea...listening to last week's WSS songs can't hold me over forever.

Hummelberry is BACK BABY!!

Rachel's reaction to Finn winning rock-paper-scissors was just as adorable as Finn's reaction to Rachel winning the coin toss...I love those two.

And I have a morbid prediction: Damian's seven episodes are going to end with him committing suicide...what Santana initiated and the Trouble Tones went along with was inexcusable, and then she laughed about it. That was disgusting. Poor Rory sad.gif

(Hi, I'm not exactly new but I haven't really posted anything yet...I've been reading for a while though)

Fortet

Fortet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Mercedes hitting that F below middle C! Very impressive given her natural range smile.gif

My heart continuously breaks for Quinn... Poor girl...
I'm not saying she doesn't deserve this, nor am I saying she made smart choices.
I'm just saying she really needs to listen, be listened to, and she really needs some support. And an hour or three of crying.

Pen

Pen

Lea is like a force to be reckoned with

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
QUOTE (Angelbee @ Nov 16 2011, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kidnap? Kill? Do you really think even she would go that far? I mean, I'd say she's misguided and everything, but I don't think Quinn's criminally insane... yet wink.gif

Got a picture in my head of Shelby gagged and tied to a chair in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, whilst Quinn, back in pink hair and Skankwear, circles her menacingly brandishing Sheila's spork. Actually, I would watch that tongue.gif

Souse

Souse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Nobody thought it was a bad or one of the worst ep ever, that´s surprising laugh.gif

Creative Christy

Creative Christy

Creative Christy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
If you would like to discuss the episode on my radio show, Glee Radio, check out details below:

Tonight, we will discuss last night's episode, "Mash Off" at 10pm central usa time. Tune in at http://www.blogtalkr...ion-of-mash-off and you can chat in the chatroom by using twitter or facebook to sign in or sign up for a free blogtalkradio.com account in order to use the chatroom. Otherwise, call in to chat and Trouty Mouth Blog will be joining us again. The number to call is 714-364-4554 then press 1 to talk. Thanks for tuning in!

Christy
Host of Glee Radio
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gleeradio
Listener Call In Number: 714-364-4554

Gallandro

Gallandro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi fellow Gleeks! New here, but I will gingerly venture an opinion. Good game of dodgeball (we called it "nationball" back in my HS), but instead of blowing off steam & purging antagonisms, it seemed to make the situation worse. A number of schools have banned it already -- it's probably the most vindictive & mean-spirited game there is. Very nice mashup number by the Troubletones; nevertheless, I still think it's a terrible idea to have 2 glee clubs in the same school, splitting up talent & resources. How the heck are they supposed to compete against Vocal Adrenaline and all the other clubs which have the full support of their schools backing them up & don't face competition from their own ranks? Unless the writers plan to have Shelby kicked out of school for a student affair (aw Shucks) and re-merge the troupes later.

Big smackdown between Santana & Finn. As the old saying goes, people who live in glass houses should not throw stones. I wonder why she switched to him as her favorite target from Rachel. He probably hasn't figured out Santana was the one who infected him with mono last year. ;->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids