Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Did you like the Black and White PBS show?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Poll: Did you like the Bllack ad White PBS show? (327 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you like the Bllack ad White PBS show?

1. Yes, it was great. (259 votes [78.96%])

Percentage of vote: 78.96%

2. No, what a waste of scence time. It should of been just a DVD extra (69 votes [21.04%])

Percentage of vote: 21.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Gleek1978

Gleek1978

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,195 posts

QUOTE (GettinFiggyWithIt @ Dec 22 2011, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The same way Carrie Bradshaw feels about Botox. Painful and unnecessary.
They cut Santa Baby for this crap?

I have watched the Santa Baby performance and whilst Naya is as fabulous as ever in it, I can totally understand why it was cut for this!

Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
QUOTE (azgra @ Dec 22 2011, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. It was cute at first, but there just wasn't enough material to sustain a fifteen minute segment. The musical numbers feel random and unconnected to each other, which makes it difficult to care about them.

The random outspurt of Christianity was annoying. As you said, there are at least three non-Christian characters present and it was incredibly disrespectful of Rory (and of the writers to all non-Christian viewers) to include it when it had no bearing on the plot.

There was a plot?

I think the reason the other belief systems were not addressed was because in the old holiday special style of the 60s/70s etc which the Black and White show was lampooning...they were never addressed. If you were an atheist taking part in an old time holiday special you just sat there and went along with it. I have no idea what Jewish people did...they probably weren't even asked to take part to begin with. Giving everyone 'equal' time in those days just wasn't done and everybody gave lip service to the religious side of it. However that would require some 'thinking' on the part of someone on the writing staff and I don't know if they go that deeply into nuances like that.

However in the end it was all about Charlie Brown.

azgra

azgra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts
QUOTE (Merry @ Dec 23 2011, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was a plot?

I think the reason the other belief systems were not addressed was because in the old holiday special style of the 60s/70s etc which the Black and White show was lampooning...they were never addressed. If you were an atheist taking part in an old time holiday special you just sat there and went along with it. I have no idea what Jewish people did...they probably weren't even asked to take part to begin with. Giving everyone 'equal' time in those days just wasn't done and everybody gave lip service to the religious side of it. However that would require some 'thinking' on the part of someone on the writing staff and I don't know if they go that deeply into nuances like that.

However in the end it was all about Charlie Brown.

The plot was "a bunch of people come over and sing silly Christmas songs." It was strictly secular, focusing on the non-religious aspects of the holiday, like Santa and presents. This was, as far as I can tell, RIB+'s intent. Their message was that all those silly people who think Christmas is about having fun with your friends are self-centered and shallow - Christmas is about Jesus (which it really isn't, but that's a rant for another day). I just don't think that Glee was the proper forum for a Christian sermon.

Now, maybe I'm misremembering, but outside of Charlie Brown, holiday specials never mentioned Jesus. Rudolph didn't, Frosty didn't, the Grinch didn't. There are other Christmas specials they could have drawn on, but they chose this one. Personally, I don't like this choice and wish that they'd made a different one.

Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
QUOTE (azgra @ Dec 23 2011, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The plot was "a bunch of people come over and sing silly Christmas songs." It was strictly secular, focusing on the non-religious aspects of the holiday, like Santa and presents. This was, as far as I can tell, RIB+'s intent. Their message was that all those silly people who think Christmas is about having fun with your friends are self-centered and shallow - Christmas is about Jesus (which it really isn't, but that's a rant for another day). I just don't think that Glee was the proper forum for a Christian sermon.

Now, maybe I'm misremembering, but outside of Charlie Brown, holiday specials never mentioned Jesus. Rudolph didn't, Frosty didn't, the Grinch didn't. There are other Christmas specials they could have drawn on, but they chose this one. Personally, I don't like this choice and wish that they'd made a different one.

The cartoons ones probably didn't but the live ones would have religious 'moments' usually with a song though and not a Bible reading.

I thought the whole thing was a commercial for the Christmas album which is why I didn't take any of it seriously.

azgra

azgra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts
QUOTE (Merry @ Dec 23 2011, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The cartoons ones probably didn't but the live ones would have religious 'moments' usually with a song though and not a Bible reading.

I thought the whole thing was a commercial for the Christmas album which is why I didn't take any of it seriously.

Charlie Brown was an animated special. They were predominately parodying a Judy Garland Christmas show; I'll try to track down a copy and see how often they mention Jesus.

I didn't take the actual episode seriously, either. You don't have to think that it's a well thought-out, deep episode to find the content problematic.

Loverly

Loverly

ELMO.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Loved it.

EffieV

EffieV

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I though it was awesome! Especially for the star wars quotations...

LCT1000

LCT1000

Being a part of something special makes you special

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
I loved it, but....It would have been better if it showed a bit of it/ snippets/ND watching it on TV being all proud of it and having the actual full length special as an extra on the DVD/Bluray smile.gif

Rachel Hudson

Rachel Hudson

I love you, Cory.

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,731 posts
  • GFA '12: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '13: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '14: Best Writer
I liked it, I thought it was funny.

Graffme

Graffme

Advanced Member

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,842 posts
QUOTE (azgra @ Dec 23 2011, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Charlie Brown was an animated special. They were predominately parodying a Judy Garland Christmas show; I'll try to track down a copy and see how often they mention Jesus.

They reading of Luke 2 was definitely an homage to A Charlie Brown Christmas. Rory even said "lights please" before he started reading, just like Linus. Unfortunately, Damian just seemed so morose while he was reading, in my opinion, so it kind of brought everything to a screeching halt. He can't quite compare with Linus...

Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
QUOTE (Graffme @ Dec 26 2011, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They reading of Luke 2 was definitely an homage to A Charlie Brown Christmas. Rory even said "lights please" before he started reading, just like Linus. Unfortunately, Damian just seemed so morose while he was reading, in my opinion, so it kind of brought everything to a screeching halt. He can't quite compare with Linus...

My problem with the reading wasn't the fact that it was religious or the way he read it. I liked the way he read it. It sounded nice to me...(but I do agree no one can compare to Linus) My problem was his revelation to 'do the right thing' apparently took place off camera. It came out of the blue. One minute he wants to learn his lines and be part of the special and the next he wants to get serious. I wish we had seem some kind of progression from point a to point b.

hotforschuester

hotforschuester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
QUOTE (Merry @ Dec 26 2011, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My problem with the reading wasn't the fact that it was religious or the way he read it. I liked the way he read it. It sounded nice to me...(but I do agree no one can compare to Linus) My problem was his revelation to 'do the right thing' apparently took place off camera. It came out of the blue. One minute he wants to learn his lines and be part of the special and the next he wants to get serious. I wish we had seem some kind of progression from point a to point b.

I also have a really big problem with Rory's "homage" to Charlie Brown. Glee is getting irritating in that it is constantly duplicating other things EXACTLY, and then calling it an homage. Can you really just steal whatever you want as long as you claim that it is honoring the original?

I didn't get "homage" from Rory's reading at all. What I instantly thought was "oh my god they're ripping off Charlie Brown and they think their audience is too young and stupid to notice." And actually, I'd prefer if it was a rip off. As it is, its an homage to Charlie Brown within an homage to Star Wars within an homage to Judy Garland. It is basically a poorly produced Frankenstein of all these Christmas Specials that we could just go and watch anyway if we wanted to.

Also, if you will think back to last Christmas, the ENTIRE episode was an "homage" to the grinch. If Glee can't generate its own holiday themed content, why bother? It's getting painful to watch.

The bible reading didn't even register as homage because it felt so out of place. Linus reading that passage at the end of the Peanuts special was beautiful and meaningful whether you were a person of faith or not. (I'm not.) The entire plot of the special was Charlie Brown struggling to understand what Christmas was all about, being frustrated by the flash and over-consumption and feeling out of step. Linus steps in to remind everybody that at its core, the holiday is about peace and good will.

Its possible that the Glee special meant to deliver that same message, but I simply didn't feel it. Sure, I felt sad for the poor little Irish boy who couldn't be with his family, but I nearly forgot all about him after a half hour of Rachel and Kurt arrogantly prancing around in black and white.

To those who feel superior that they got this sophisticated blend of humor that the rest of us couldn't grasp: trust me. We got it. We got it well before the Cheerios showed up to do a bland and out of place dance routine. I have seen the old christmas specials and am a huge fan of Judy Garland and also Star Wars. I thought it was cute for about five minutes and I agree that Lea Michele did a fantastic job emulating the acting style of that era: but the whole thing was so flat. There was no snark or wit and it didn't play on anything. It established the joke, didn't take it anywhere new and then dragged it around tirelessly forever like a child who got to open a present on Christmas Eve.

You can't just film some musical numbers in black and white and call it satire. And you can't just steal someone else's material and call it an homage. Well, I guess Glee can.

cinco

cinco

♫ ☼ ♣ ♪ ☺ ♥ ☆

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts
It was nice and was perfect for this lighter christmas-themed episode.
I bet Chris and Lea really enjoyed doing it.

BowtieBlaine

BowtieBlaine

i love u forever, my strange tiny doe-eyed pervert

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,842 posts
  • GFA '12: Biggest Character Stan
  • GFA '14: Biggest Blaine Stan

It was flawless. One of my favorite things Glee has done ever. ;(

Noah Puckerman

Noah Puckerman

QUICK IS ALIVE!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

I loved it so much!

Lucy Collins

Lucy Collins

I'm A Puckermaniac! Jake and Noah! Woohoo!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts

i loved that part. my favorite scene was finn and puck as Han Solo and Luke Skywalker

Ironic Showchoir

Ironic Showchoir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

You can't just film some musical numbers in black and white and call it satire. And you can't just steal someone else's material and call it an homage. Well, I guess Glee can.

Can't agree with this point at all - the black and white material is, for me at least, a perfect example of homage.

Redav

Redav

LOUDER THAN A CANNONBALL!!!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,522 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Perverted

Loved it! Good ol' times :)

Michaels

Michaels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Honestly, it was one of my favourite things Glee ever did. This episode is one of my favourite ever Glee episodes.

Edited by Michaels, 07 December 2013 - 06:30 AM.

Gleek1978

Gleek1978

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,195 posts

I watched this episode last week and I still think the black and white segment is one of the best things they have ever done, I also enjoyed the rest of the episode so much more than I did at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids