Photo

Am I the only one who thought the Troubletones were better?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

JoeTurtle

JoeTurtle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm sorry, but I really didn't get into any of the New Direction songs during Sectionals. They were uninteresting and boring. The only decent one they sang would have to be ABC. But I thought that the Troubletone's Survivor/I will Survive mashup was much better. The only explanation is that they failed at their other two songs, which seems quite unlikely. (Seeing has how the Troubletones have never failed to amaze me yet).

Anyone else agree?

mysticgirl916

mysticgirl916

Matthew Morrison Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts
  • From the Top: Member Since 2009
If the Troubletones had won, it defeats the purpose of the storyline this season: New Directions working towards winning nationals with some of their key members graduating

Matt Holck

Matt Holck

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,800 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
yes, the mash up was cake

new directions did have better choreography

JoeTurtle

JoeTurtle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (mysticgirl916 @ Dec 14 2011, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the Troubletones had won, it defeats the purpose of the storyline this season: New Directions working towards winning nationals with some of their key members graduating

...isn't that the same goal as every season? xD
But besides that, they could have used the Troubletones winning as an ingenious plot ploy or something. For we know that the Troubletones will preform at Regionals and Nationals...they could've used the same ploy for the New Directions, to be honest. (Also, Santana, Brittany and Mercedes are seniors...don't they qualify for the "some of their key member's graduating" part as well?)

chantilly

chantilly

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,263 posts
  • GFA '15: Mod Spotlight
I don't even think it is debatable that ND were better. Even ABC which was their weakest song and it still was great was better as a whole show choir than the TT's number. The choreography was better and the singing was more of a group. Also I thought the performance reached out to the audience while the TT,s did not.

JeSsKa

JeSsKa

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,440 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
  • GFA '13: Craziest
The Sectionals performance was atrocious. If the TTones had done something like the Adele mashup, they most likely would've won.

JoeTurtle

JoeTurtle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, after looking at YouTube views...
Glee Cast - Survivor / I Will Survive (Audio Only) has over 90,000 views. Which is more than the audio versions of the songs New Directions did during their sectionals.

And if you add the 1.3 million views from the full performance of Survivor/I Will Survive (the scene from the show)...I think is fair to say that many more people enjoyed the Troubletones over New Directions. (Although, there is no "Full Scene Version" of any of the New Direction's songs on Gleevevevo to compare with).

mord'sith

mord'sith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
QUOTE (JoeTurtle @ Dec 15 2011, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But besides that, they could have used the Troubletones winning as an ingenious plot ploy or something. For we know that the Troubletones will preform at Regionals and Nationals...they could've used the same ploy for the New Directions, to be honest. (Also, Santana, Brittany and Mercedes are seniors...don't they qualify for the "some of their key member's graduating" part as well?)

what if the TTones had won and then Shelby leaves? you've got the losing choir w/ a coach and the winning choir sans coach. interesting opportunity to hash out their problems and still come out 1 group that goes forward to regionals and nationals.

QUOTE (chantilly @ Dec 15 2011, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't even think it is debatable that ND were better. Even ABC which was their weakest song and it still was great was better as a whole show choir than the TT's number. The choreography was better and the singing was more of a group. Also I thought the performance reached out to the audience while the TT,s did not.

true ND def featured more singers, but if Vocal Adrenaline can win national championships w/ the strategy of putting their big gun front and center while everyone else dances around, then it could be argued that "teamwork" of the ND kind isn't necessary to success, and might not even be favored. I still love it though and ND's choreography was the best they've had since Valerie.

QUOTE (Miss Cakey @ Dec 15 2011, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Sectionals performance was atrocious. If the TTones had done something like the Adele mashup, they most likely would've won.

it wasn't atrocious, imo, but it wasn't the Adele mashup either. they did take 2 songs that i don't particularly love and make them into something awesome. i was shocked (in a bad way) when they started I will Survive... but then my heart raced when they cut to Survivor. still the weakest TTone choreography yet (outside of the Brittango) and we know Shelby is supposed to excel at this.... so she must've been off her game w/ the whole puck debacle. here's the thing though, we saw ND perform all 3 of its songs. We only saw the TTones do 1 number. how do we know what they did w/ the other 2 in their set list? i think it makes perfect sense that they did perform their Adele number as their 3rd song (b/c even though Glee would like us to believe that you can put together whole setlists 1 hour before the show, you can't) and we just didn't see it b/c we saw it in the last ep. when i think of it that way, i do find it implausible that ND pulled out a victory. i mean everyone knows that Adele songs are bio-engineered to make you feel feelings. wink.gif but when you compare ND's three songs to the TTones' one shown performance, the ND sort of wins by quantity.

personally, i think it was lazy writing.

Regan

Regan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
QUOTE (JoeTurtle @ Dec 15 2011, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Given the strong possibility of them winning Nationals this year, I'd say that it's a safe bet that they want to have the judge or announcer declare New Directions the winner. It's the name they've gone by since the Pilot, they weren't about to change their name to the Troubletones for this season, and it would be illogical, and very possibly against the rules, for the Troubletones to adopt the name New Directions after winning as the Troubletones.

The numbers issue also has to be taken into consideration. Three people left New Directions for the Troubletones. One person was excluded from Sectionals entirely. Ten people stayed with New Directions. They weren't going to say that Mercedes, Santana and Brittany were better than the ten remaining New Directions kids put together, especially when New Directions' performance showcased so many different kids, and a tie wasn't an option because Rachel was suspended, which would have made her the difference between victory and a tie again, and because the numbers were so uneven. If the kids were split more or less evenly over the two teams, a tie might have been an option.

The song guarantee would make more sense if the Troubletones had won, but then lost their coach and had to either accept Will as their coach, knowing that every New Directions kid would be welcomed onboard and the structure of the group adapted accordingly, or forfeit... which could have New Directions progressing by default as runners-up. In a situation like that, it'd be understandable for them to want some guarantee that, after winning, they weren't going to be shoved into the background while members of the losing team took the leads for Regionals and Nationals.

Other than that, New Directions winning was the only logical outcome.

bejt

bejt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
QUOTE (JoeTurtle @ Dec 15 2011, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry, but I really didn't get into any of the New Direction songs during Sectionals. They were uninteresting and boring. The only decent one they sang would have to be ABC. But I thought that the Troubletone's Survivor/I will Survive mashup was much better. The only explanation is that they failed at their other two songs, which seems quite unlikely. (Seeing has how the Troubletones have never failed to amaze me yet).

Anyone else agree?

I agree...
the mash up was really good- the dance was flashy and way more in synch that ND
(and yes the fact that they had dancers amped it up)
ND looked like a bunch of ppl jumping around at times (and I say this with the utmost admiration for Zach (Woodlie the choreographer), he's amazing but I really don't know what happened here- the boys didn't hold up
the white suits didn't help their case either.

vocally Amber and Naya sounded really great- and the song suited them- girl song

QUOTE (JoeTurtle @ Dec 15 2011, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But besides that, they could have used the Troubletones winning as an ingenious plot ploy or something....

it would have been SUPER glee to have the TT win- and then twist it around in a way that glee S1 and S2 style would have done...
cause there is no way they would twist nationals (who know maybe they will choose to twits regionals)

Guest_Stephanie

Guest_Stephanie
  • Guests
Yes ND had to win to further the plot but I thought ABC was dull (I don't like Jenna's voice, she sounds like a teenager to me) and don't even get me started on the other two snoozefests.
I Will Survive/I'm A Survivor was better than all three of their songs put together, in my opinion.

Regan

Regan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
QUOTE (Stephanie @ Dec 15 2011, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes ND had to win to further the plot but I thought ABC was dull (I don't like Jenna's voice, she sounds like a teenager to me) and don't even get me started on the other two snoozefests.
I Will Survive/I'm A Survivor was better than all three of their songs put together, in my opinion.

Her character is seventeen, so in that respect, sounding like a teenager is a good thing.

One thing that interests me is that we weren't presented with any mitigating factor to explain why the Troubletones lost. There was no accident during their performance, like somebody tripping, and we didn't see a judges' room debate with one or more of the judges expressing their dislike for I Will Survive and/or all-girls choirs.

For first Regionals, we were shown that New Directions could blame their last place finish on Aural Intensity successfully pandering to Olivia Newton John, Olivia Newton John not liking brunette singers and on them being scorned for being a "poor person's school", while Vocal Adrenaline's song choice had Rod Remington on their side. For second Regionals, one of the judges was opposed to the idea of two boys doing a duet (though another judge enjoyed it) and another one loved the way New Directions used original songs.

For third Sectionals, we don't get any explanation, it looks like the Troubletones lost because they weren't as good, no other explanation required. I wonder if that was a deliberate choice, either so viewers wouldn't be able to argue that the Troubletones were cheated of victory or so they could come up with their own explanation if they thought they were better, or if they simply didn't have enough time to include a scene of the judges' deliberations.

Guest_Stephanie

Guest_Stephanie
  • Guests
QUOTE (Regan @ Dec 15 2011, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Her character is seventeen, so in that respect, sounding like a teenager is a good thing.

Meh, nobody else in the cast does so her voice doesn't fit in for me. And when I say "teenager" what I mean is about 14, not her character's actual age. It's probably just that song because I never noticed it before.

Regan

Regan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
QUOTE (Stephanie @ Dec 16 2011, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's probably just that song because I never noticed it before.

Maybe it just wasn't the right song for her.

sinnfb

sinnfb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,035 posts
I thought they weren't but I totally get why people would think they were... Amber and Naya have amazing voices, great chemistry on stage and their duets are some of the best the show ever had.

The thing is, I'm tired of them just like I was tired of Finchel duets on season 1 and the Warblers on season 2 and I say this as a huge fan of Lea, Naya and Darren as performers. When the writers find something that works they like to basically shove it down our throats and I admit that it played a huge part on why I wasn't a big fan of the TTones mash-up or the performance.

I liked that almost everyone was showcased on ND performance... I thought some of the songs would have sounded much better as solos (Man In The Mirror especially) and I didn't like that they picked 'Control' out of all Janet's songs but it was something different (in a good way) and fresh compared to the usual ND performances.

Lea1976

Lea1976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
QUOTE (JoeTurtle @ Dec 15 2011, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, after looking at YouTube views...
Glee Cast - Survivor / I Will Survive (Audio Only) has over 90,000 views. Which is more than the audio versions of the songs New Directions did during their sectionals.

And if you add the 1.3 million views from the full performance of Survivor/I Will Survive (the scene from the show)...I think is fair to say that many more people enjoyed the Troubletones over New Directions. (Although, there is no "Full Scene Version" of any of the New Direction's songs on Gleevevevo to compare with).

Or it could be just the same fans watching the clips over and over again? The Adele mash up was better, they should have used that one. Shelby is very clever, she brought in a cheerleading squad to act as back up dancers to Santana and Mercedes, they also look amazing in those dresses as well.

Ariane2602

Ariane2602

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I think they should add the judges' discussion, like "I love MJ", "why there are only girls in TT group?" to clarify wining choice.

CelestialMystic

CelestialMystic

be urself n don't listen to Kim Kardashian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
Disagree. I was actually surprised by how much I intensely disliked their performance at Sectionals. The mash-up did not work for me at all - I felt it was the worst they've done on the show. Including that Hair/Crazy in Love one from the first season. If they had done their Adele mash-up, I might agree with you. But this one was just kind of terrible. The songs don't work together in the slightest, IMO.

And this was the first performance by ND in which I genuinely liked every single one of their songs/performances (which, again, really surprised me). So I was mighty pleased.

LubMeSomeHeMo

LubMeSomeHeMo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
QUOTE (CelestialMystic @ Dec 16 2011, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I felt it was the worst they've done on the show. Including that Hair/Crazy in Love one from the first season.

^This

They were kind of made to look worse, their outfits were terrible, their choreography was messy and out of time, their song choice seemed like it would be good but then they mashed it together and made it not so great, and as much as love both Amber's and Naya's vocals, they really weren't as great as they could've been.

ND was fun, choreography was better and more synched, song choice was great, and the way they did the vocals was great for a show choir comp.

The Big Berry

The Big Berry

Bigger than before!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
I do agree that ND were better, but I don't agree with that the TTones' choreography sucked.
I don't know how you guys say about it now, but I remember the first reaction was like 'What? This is from a VA director?' 'It basically sucks even with the Brittango'...
Seriously I think that first half of the song's choreography was amazing, not VA class, but at least better than MITM (which had basically no choreography except people running and clapping their hands). Though I agree that the 2nd half of the song went to hell. They just seemed to have no more dancing moves to come up with.

Although I liked ND more, I disagree on the saying that the TTones' choreography sucked.
sorry for the poor english tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users