Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Finn's dad

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

flutebabe2007

flutebabe2007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

let me just preface this by saying that i am the biggest cory monteith supporter so i might be a little biased

the scene where carole tells finn how his dad really died almost gave me a heart attack

i was crying, shaking, i got cold chills the whole nine yards....

for me seeing this scene made me do a lot of thinking. and i am sure that it brought up some memories for cory as well. as you all know cory had a huge drug problem when he was younger and he did say that if he had not gone to rehab and found acting he would not be alive today. seeing this scene had me thinking that we could have lost cory almost the same way that finn lost his dad. now you can say i am over analyzing or making too big a deal out of this but i dont really care because like finn said "im going to be sick" and i felt like i was.

im also sure that this scene brought up some memories for cory that were hard because of the similarities to his and this story but his acting was INCREDIBLE and i honestly wanted to jump through the screen and hug him then and as well as his scene with kurt and rachel at breadstix.

i would like to know evryones opinion on this storyline and how you think it affected cory as well as you being a fan of cory/finn/ or both

Rachel Berry

Rachel Berry

Rise, shine and have a cup of coffee with me!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,032 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Articulate
  • GFA '13: Smartest
  • GFA '14: Best Debater
Some people haven't seen this episode yet. A mod should change the thread title.

Phylos

Phylos

PhyloS

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,270 posts
  • GFA '12: Smartest
^You're probably right, done.

Anyway, as I already said, one of the best scenes in this otherwise all-over-the-place episode.

flutebabe2007

flutebabe2007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
QUOTE (Rachel Berry @ Jan 17 2012, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some people haven't seen this episode yet. A mod should change the thread title.

they did
sorry about that lol

Rachel Berry

Rachel Berry

Rise, shine and have a cup of coffee with me!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,032 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Articulate
  • GFA '13: Smartest
  • GFA '14: Best Debater
QUOTE (flutebabe2007 @ Jan 17 2012, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they did
sorry about that lol

No biggie. smile.gif

harrypottergleeks

harrypottergleeks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
I LOVED THIS EPISODE! i mean man, i really didnt give a shit that it was all over the place, it was enjoyable and made me laugh, so thats all that matters. Anyway, i cant say that im that suprised about finns dad. I mean after all this spoilers coming, i knew he was going to die in some strange way.

Cassie July

Cassie July

HBIC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts
Perhaps they did adapt Cory's own story into the plot and it was something he came out with for the episode.

Anyway, I can understand Carol, though. Yep, it was bad that she lied to him, but given the circumstances, I can see why she wanted him to think his father died a hero. I'm sure Papa Hudson was a very nice man and his last days - as she kinda said - didn't represent what he was.

OTOH, I felt a bit bad for Burt when Finn said he wanted to follow his dad's steps and be a hero like he was instead of manage the tire shop.

prettynpurple11

prettynpurple11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
That was heartwrenching, I was crying during that. He deserved to know the truth

Broseidon

Broseidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
One of the only times this year I've been impressed with the writing.

sinnfb

sinnfb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,035 posts
QUOTE (Broseidon @ Jan 18 2012, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the only times this year I've been impressed with the writing.

Mte. Amazing scene, everybody's acting was on point.

CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts
QUOTE (LadyGagamma @ Jan 17 2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OTOH, I felt a bit bad for Burt when Finn said he wanted to follow his dad's steps and be a hero like he was instead of manage the tire shop.

That was pretty unfair of Burt. You don't see Carole insisting that Kurt is letting her down by doing what he wants to do instead of getting involved with [whatever it is that Carole does for a living].

verity

verity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
That scene was fabulous. They assembled all the heavy hitting actors, Matt, Jayma, Mike and Romy and Cory just sat there letting it all out. His face got all purple and I really thought he was going to puke when he said he was going to be sick. I want to watch it again.

And on a personal note, I found it heartbreaking that they used something from Cory's past into a backstory about his father. Because I don't doubt that's where they got the storyline from. Glee tends to do that often. Find something from the actor's real life and insert it into his/her storylines. Glee is sometimes mean about this kind of "actor bleed." For example, they use a lot of the physical characteristics from the actors and make it into a joke, and I don't know, I'm not the biggest fan of Chord, but I still am not comfortable with the Trouty Mouth nickname. And I didn't like how they inserted Cory's lack of singing and dancing training when Jesse St James comes to make fun of Finn in the Funeral episode. Finn's dialogue about "how he's been busting his ass trying to become a good singer and dancer" and how his efforts have come to nothing rang a little too true. tongue.gif

However, I felt that this backstory for Finn coming from Cory's real life story gave that scene more depth and weight, especially to the fans who know about Cory's past. Cory's acting was really wonderful and everyone involved in that scene hit the ball out of the park and this was one time I didn't mind the "actor bleed."

Joe Hart

Joe Hart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
QUOTE (verity @ Jan 18 2012, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That scene was fabulous. They assembled all the heavy hitting actors, Matt, Jayma, Mike and Romy and Cory just sat there letting it all out. His face got all purple and I really thought he was going to puke when he said he was going to be sick. I want to watch it again.

And on a personal note, I found it heartbreaking that they used something from Cory's past into a backstory about his father. Because I don't doubt that's where they got the storyline from. Glee tends to do that often. Find something from the actor's real life and insert it into his/her storylines. Glee is sometimes mean about this kind of "actor bleed." For example, they use a lot of the physical characteristics from the actors and make it into a joke, and I don't know, I'm not the biggest fan of Chord, but I still am not comfortable with the Trouty Mouth nickname. And I didn't like how they inserted Cory's lack of singing and dancing training when Jesse St James comes to make fun of Finn in the Funeral episode. Finn's dialogue about "how he's been busting his ass trying to become a good singer and dancer" and how his efforts have come to nothing rang a little too true. tongue.gif

However, I felt that this backstory for Finn coming from Cory's real life story gave that scene more depth and weight, especially to the fans who know about Cory's past. Cory's acting was really wonderful and everyone involved in that scene hit the ball out of the park and this was one time I didn't mind the "actor bleed."

I have noticed the actor bleed with Chord. Seems since his return 3 episodes ago RM is having fun messing with Chord. First they finally give him a country song and it is a mildly retarded one. Second the Swimming thing.

jaque_the_ripper

jaque_the_ripper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
To quote one of my favorite bloggers (because she captured what I thought perfectly):

Finn, after having been on an uncertain path for the future, declares to Mr. Schue that he wants to join the army, just like his dad. He's translated his original Glee speak of wanting to be a part of something special to being a part of the army, and honoring his deceased father's legacy. And frankly, I'm on board with a storyline where Finn can attempt to connect with his father and let go of some of his angst over manhood.

It turns out though, as Carole revealed to Finn, that Finn's father did not die an American hero in Iraq. Rather, he was discharged honorably, and suffered a drug problem when he returned home. After disappearing one night, he turned up dead in Cincinnati from an overdose. Pretty shocking, right? It rightfully turned Finn's world upside down and he was forced to deal.

I didn't like that so much of Finn's angst was framed solely in the discussion of what it means to be a man. Really, Glee? Are we still on this? Usually, it's done interestingly with the inclusion of Kurt, or another gay male character to introduce the question naturally and with thought-provoking results. (Because frankly, the answers to that question are pretty limiting, insulting to both genders, and, if you'll excuse me, complete bullshit.) But this time, neither Kurt nor Blaine were on the scene, and we instead got Will telling Finn he taught him how to be a man, and Finn questioning what kind of man he was after learning the truth about his dad. It also bears stating that Finn has previously told Will that he taught him how to be a man in the absence of his father, and that he also told Kurt that he taught him how to be a man. At this point, it's becoming a worn-thin plot device that isn't even progressing these characters in any real way.

Ultimately, Finn's crisis manifested in a lot of talk about not knowing what kind of man he was, and then channeling that somehow into feeling like he'd be okay if he just proposed to Rachel so he could love her forever. That doesn't really connect. It would have been stronger to see Finn have an actual emotional response independent of gender-centric bullshit, and allow him to work through his issues with his mother, who, may I remind everyone, also gave 50% of her genes to her kid. It would have been a better choice to see Finn be reassured that just because his father had struggles didn't mean that he was doomed to the same fate, and that he can look up to his strong, hardworking single mother just as much as his absent dad. It would be far less sexist, and give Carole Hudson a little more credit as a single woman trying to raise her son in Middle America. Not only that, but it would have been nice to get more sympathy for Finn's dad - it immediately crossed my mind that his drug issues could easily be connected to the emotional toll of fighting a war and returning home from it, which is far more three-dimensional and nuanced for Finn to deal with, rather than "my dad was a loser and I'm destined to be one too."

(You can read the entire bog post here: http://www.drsheblog....html?spref=tw)

Panda Express

Panda Express

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts
His could have been an amazing storyline but Finn hadn't mentioned his dad since season one do his wanting to emulate his father and him holding him up as a hero came out of nowhere. Cory and Romy were both terrific with what they had seriously if they had good writing to go with their acting here it would be Emmy worthy but the storyline was too rushed and sloppy to have much of an impact IMO.

I found Burt very selfish and unlikeable in this scene expecting Finn to take over the tire shop regardless as to what Finn actually wants to do. Burt isn't Finn's dad and he shouldn't try to act like it.

Cassie July

Cassie July

HBIC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts
He's not the first time a father want a son to take over the family business. And Burt considering Finn to do it is like seeing him as a son.

Besides, I don't know why can't both Finn and Kurt take over the shop together. They can do the administration think together while they still are in college.

Lea1976

Lea1976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
I am actually beginning not to like Burt he just assumes that college for Finn is not an option. This is what I would like to see happen, Finn runs the shop for a year and when Burt comes back he pays for Finn's education to a college like Rutgers.

Graffme

Graffme

Advanced Member

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,842 posts
QUOTE (beegee @ Jan 22 2012, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His could have been an amazing storyline but Finn hadn't mentioned his dad since season one do his wanting to emulate his father and him holding him up as a hero came out of nowhere. Cory and Romy were both terrific with what they had seriously if they had good writing to go with their acting here it would be Emmy worthy but the storyline was too rushed and sloppy to have much of an impact IMO.

I found Burt very selfish and unlikeable in this scene expecting Finn to take over the tire shop regardless as to what Finn actually wants to do. Burt isn't Finn's dad and he shouldn't try to act like it.

I don't think that Finn not mentioning his dad since season one means that this story came out of nowhere. He thought his father died a hero's death. That's always going to be a part of a person whether there's an indication of it onscreen or not. Ideally I would've loved for Carole to confront Finn alone about his meeting with the army recruiter and to then share the news with him, sort of like the sonogram scene in season 1, but that's not the route they chose. I kind of hope the daddy issues come up again someday though.

Panda Express

Panda Express

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts
QUOTE (LadyGagamma @ Jan 23 2012, 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's not the first time a father want a son to take over the family business. And Burt considering Finn to do it is like seeing him as a son.

Besides, I don't know why can't both Finn and Kurt take over the shop together. They can do the administration think together while they still are in college.

He's known him for two years he's not his father, Finn was 16 at least when Burt met him he was done growing Will is more a father figure to Finn than Burt. Either way it was unfair of him to just expect that of him regardless of whether he wanted to or not.

I still think it was sloppy we had no idea that Finn idolized his dad so much and that should have been a scene with just Carole and Finn Emma, will and Burt had no place being there.

gleefanboy

gleefanboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Absolutley the most notification and touching moment on glee ever I almost cried at the end just because I felt bad for the way that he had to take that newes. sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids