Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Poll: rory vs. artie

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Poll: Rory vs. Artie (135 member(s) have cast votes)

who would you choose/ who do you want sugar to choose?

1. rory (51 votes [36.43%])

Percentage of vote: 36.43%

2. artie (67 votes [47.86%])

Percentage of vote: 47.86%

3. neither (22 votes [15.71%])

Percentage of vote: 15.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

QUOTE (imightjustloveyou @ Feb 14 2012, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im sorry if anyone felt i ripped any characters to shreds. That was not my intention

That wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I was just speaking in general.

Mossa

Mossa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
QUOTE (Artie Abrams @ Feb 14 2012, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I'm pretty distressed that people think Finn, the guy who outs people without apologizing and dumps girls for other girls, is suitable boyfriend material. *shrug* we've all got differing opinions.

do you even know what misogynistic means? and I'm asking you because people in this fandom have no idea 99% of the time and equate the word to "sexist", both of which are not interchangeable.

that being said, he's apologized to both Tina and Brittany. and I don't get why people hold the "stupid" comment against him given that she, yanno, cheated on him.

I didn't bring up the stupid comment, it didn't offend me that much, Brittany is stupid. He was simply pointing it out.
Thanks for your patronising, condescending questions and yes I do. I teach History and Political Philosophy and one of my Units is on Feminism so I'm pretty well versed thanks.

Why bring Finn into it? We're talking about Rory and Artie. I could give you perfectly good examples of why Finn is a better boyfriend but this thread is not about Finn and I don't want to upset the mods.

The Duchess

The Duchess

omnomnomnom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
QUOTE (Mossa @ Feb 14 2012, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't bring up the stupid comment, it didn't offend me that much, Brittany is stupid. He was simply pointing it out.
Thanks for your patronising, condescending questions and yes I do. I teach History and Political Philosophy and one of my Units is on Feminism so I'm pretty well versed thanks.

I brought it up because someone else did.

again, I asked because this fandom loves to toss around the word "misogynist" like water. show me when Artie has ever actively shown hatred towards women.

EDIT: cut out the rest because this isn't the thread.

Jugz da' Clown

Jugz da' Clown

Too legit to quit

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,982 posts
  • GFA '14: Best Username
Now I wish Sugar had chosen Artie, or that she will dump Rory for him. Artie is more interesting than Rory and he sings songs that don't put me to sleep. Also there is the fact that Rory is a liar, but he's still seen as such a good, sweet, innocent boy and that irritates me.

juvjuvychan

juvjuvychan

Your friendly neighborhood optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
Well Rory is an able bodies straight white boy and we know how much the show loves those types

I would have preferred Sugar to chose Artie in the end. Artie, I felt, came off really charming in this episode whilst Rory didn't. Especially when we find out that he lied about being deported so Sugar would feel sorry for him and be with him over Artie. That was gross. I'd have to attribute it also to Kevin being a better actor then Damien though for pulling it off and making Artie seem charming instead of a jerk fighting over a girl.

gleek_94

gleek_94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
I felt so sorry for Artie when we see him eating that Cheese Heart. I hate how Rory lied to make Sugar choose him. Artie actually went for her without lieing and doing song that is suitable for Artie's affections to Sugar.

I hope this little storyline continues with Sugar finding out that Rory lied and she goes out with Artie.

GleeTime

GleeTime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
QUOTE (Jugz da' Clown @ Feb 15 2012, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I wish Sugar had chosen Artie, or that she will dump Rory for him. Artie is more interesting than Rory and he sings songs that don't put me to sleep. Also there is the fact that Rory is a liar, but he's still seen as such a good, sweet, innocent boy and that irritates me.

I think that makes him more interesting. It's very much in line with the way he lied to Brittany in Pot O' Gold. Santana called him out on it but it apparently didn't stop him. I'm hoping when the situation with Sugar comes to light that it's the sort of wake up call he needs to stop lying to get girls. It adds nice depth to his character though. We've seen him interacting in a nice, sweet way with Finn and Sam, but he's pretty much only had negative interactions with the girls so far. It's not implausible given his character's age that he may not really know how to relate to girls yet. It makes me want to see his character mature. I hope the writers follow through with a gradual progression toward greater maturity.

Even though I was thinking beforehand that I'd pull for Artie I found myself pulling for Rory during the actual episode. I was disappointed though that Sam didn't follow through on his offer to be Rory's Valentine's Day Sponsor. I think Sam might have dissuaded him from his plan to lie though and I suppose it would have made the storyline more complicated in that way.

Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
I'm not a shipper so I don't care how the ship plays out but I while I agree that Kevin is the better actor I also thought Damian's was much improved. It was good to see something else beside the sweet always smiling Rory. That gets boring to watch after a while and it oesn't challenge the actor.

To me he hasn't done anything much worse than most of the other characters have done when it comes to ships. Lying, cheating, manipulating and being jerks is pretty much the norm.

But if he is lying does that mean Rory has that Visa and is staying?

Tsukasa

Tsukasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Rory started off lying to Brittany, so I don't see much improvement.

I voted neither because these "competing for the girl/guy" plots are really unromantic for me.

tragicgirl

tragicgirl

Here comes the airplane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts
Artie didn't created stupid story. I think Rory did. Or?

QUOTE (tragicgirl @ Feb 15 2012, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Artie haven't created stupid story. I think Rory did. Or?

pointkk

pointkk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
QUOTE (GleeTime @ Feb 14 2012, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that makes him more interesting. It's very much in line with the way he lied to Brittany in Pot O' Gold. Santana called him out on it but it apparently didn't stop him. I'm hoping when the situation with Sugar comes to light that it's the sort of wake up call he needs to stop lying to get girls. It adds nice depth to his character though. We've seen him interacting in a nice, sweet way with Finn and Sam, but he's pretty much only had negative interactions with the girls so far. It's not implausible given his character's age that he may not really know how to relate to girls yet. It makes me want to see his character mature. I hope the writers follow through with a gradual progression toward greater maturity.

This is a nice,but dont think can Damian pull this off.

Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
I felt so sorry for Artie when we see him eating that Cheese Heart. I hate how Rory lied to make Sugar choose him. Artie actually went for her without lieing and doing song that is suitable for Artie's affections to Sugar.

I hope this little storyline continues with Sugar finding out that Rory lied and she goes out with Artie.

But she won't stay with Artie long until one of them does something stupid to mess it up. That's how they do things.

Sorry. Cynical non-shipper.

Mossa

Mossa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
QUOTE (Artie Abrams @ Feb 15 2012, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I brought it up because someone else did.

again, I asked because this fandom loves to toss around the word "misogynist" like water. show me when Artie has ever actively shown hatred towards women.

EDIT: cut out the rest because this isn't the thread.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply; been in London for three days and only had ropey phone access.
Misogyny isn't as literal as "hatred of women". It's true meaning is a display of behaviour which suggests sexual discrimination of women. This can manifest in many different ways. Sexual harassment or using demeaning or derogatory language is such a manifestation. Like when Artie calls his girlfriend's "Woman" or when he uses phrases such as "Bounce It" when Rachel wears revealing clothes. His other behaviours have included trying to assert his dominance and superiority over Tina by telling her how to dress and calling Brittany an idiot, (although in this case it was pretty valid). He also shows a disdain for women, often blaming him for things that are beyond their control; like when he fell during Dream On and took his frustration out on Tina, a convenient scape goat.

The Duchess

The Duchess

omnomnomnom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
QUOTE (Mossa @ Feb 17 2012, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply; been in London for three days and only had ropey phone access.
Misogyny isn't as literal as "hatred of women". It's true meaning is a display of behaviour which suggests sexual discrimination of women. This can manifest in many different ways. Sexual harassment or using demeaning or derogatory language is such a manifestation. Like when Artie calls his girlfriend's "Woman" or when he uses phrases such as "Bounce It" when Rachel wears revealing clothes. His other behaviours have included trying to assert his dominance and superiority over Tina by telling her how to dress and calling Brittany an idiot, (although in this case it was pretty valid). He also shows a disdain for women, often blaming him for things that are beyond their control; like when he fell during Dream On and took his frustration out on Tina, a convenient scape goat.

I was about to not respond to this because again, this is totally off topic, and then I read the bolded and I couldn't.

we are talking about someone who has permanently lost his ability to walk for the rest of his life. do you have any idea the level of vulnerability he was at when he was taking those first steps? and how incredibly dehumanizing and humiliating it was when he fell flat on his face? he would've taken it out on anyone, it wasn't because Tina was a girl (lol are you actually serious with that?).

for which he apologized, btw. and he apologized for telling Tina how to dress, and he apologized to Brittany. How often have Puck or Finn apologized for the way they've treated their girlfriends/girls? I can't remember a single moment when Puck ever did, and Finn never apologized for his absolutely shitty treatment of Quinn last season.

Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
I think Artie has grown in many ways but has a ways to go like many teen-agers. He's not an adult and still reacts like a typical adolscent. I think he will eventually end up with Sugar.

Mossa

Mossa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
QUOTE (Artie Abrams @ Feb 17 2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was about to not respond to this because again, this is totally off topic, and then I read the bolded and I couldn't.

we are talking about someone who has permanently lost his ability to walk for the rest of his life. do you have any idea the level of vulnerability he was at when he was taking those first steps? and how incredibly dehumanizing and humiliating it was when he fell flat on his face? he would've taken it out on anyone, it wasn't because Tina was a girl (lol are you actually serious with that?).

for which he apologized, btw. and he apologized for telling Tina how to dress, and he apologized to Brittany. How often have Puck or Finn apologized for the way they've treated their girlfriends/girls? I can't remember a single moment when Puck ever did, and Finn never apologized for his absolutely shitty treatment of Quinn last season.

Why is it that you can't write about Artie without bringing Finn and Puck into it? We're discussing Artie's misogynistic behaviours not Finn's or Puck's. Of course I understand that Artie was humiliated and feels useless and helpless at the loss of his legs but this is something he has had a lot of time to adapt to and deal with. He shouldn't be tearing chunks out of the one person who was there to offer him support and love but he did. I wouldn't even take that sole event as an example of his chauvinism, if it wasn't a part of a wider pattern of similar behaviour. He has often displayed a contemptuous and superior attitude towards women and girls on the show. Whether it is towards the way they dress, their bodies, their personalities or intelligence. He has never really shown signs that he can treat a woman as an equal and therefore in my eyes he is a chauvinist, he is sexist and he is most definitely a misogynist.

full-of-glee

full-of-glee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
I ship Rory & Sugar just because I feel like Rory never really does anything, plotwise, in the show anymore so I think his character needs a storyline. And then, they just look really cute together rolleyes.gif

The Duchess

The Duchess

omnomnomnom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
QUOTE (Mossa @ Feb 18 2012, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is it that you can't write about Artie without bringing Finn and Puck into it? We're discussing Artie's misogynistic behaviours not Finn's or Puck's. Of course I understand that Artie was humiliated and feels useless and helpless at the loss of his legs but this is something he has had a lot of time to adapt to and deal with. He shouldn't be tearing chunks out of the one person who was there to offer him support and love but he did. I wouldn't even take that sole event as an example of his chauvinism, if it wasn't a part of a wider pattern of similar behaviour. He has often displayed a contemptuous and superior attitude towards women and girls on the show. Whether it is towards the way they dress, their bodies, their personalities or intelligence. He has never really shown signs that he can treat a woman as an equal and therefore in my eyes he is a chauvinist, he is sexist and he is most definitely a misogynist.

I can't believe I just read that.

you personally have absolutely no place to decide when somebody who becomes paraplegic should reach a point to "adapt and deal" with his condition.

just...wow. this conversation ends here.

Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
We should remember that Artie is a TEENAGER. He's NOT an adult. He doesn't have the life experience to make adult decisions quite yet. Yes he could be nicer to people but I imagine being in a wheel chair 23/7could tend to make someone a bit cranky at times. They are allowed to have their off days and moments just like us able bodied people.

Having said that I have no idea what Rory's deep seated problem is. He doesn't normally 'seem' to be such a jerk but maybe he's just really competitive or something. rolleyes.gif

Mossa

Mossa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
QUOTE (Artie Abrams @ Feb 18 2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't believe I just read that.

you personally have absolutely no place to decide when somebody who becomes paraplegic should reach a point to "adapt and deal" with his condition.

just...wow. this conversation ends here.

Meaning you don't want to actually debate our original discussion about Artie being a misogynist? I am not saying he should be fine with his condition, I am saying he shouldn't be taking his anger and bitterness about it out on someone who cares about him. I have worked with people with disabilities for years and that is part of the healing process which normally happens in the early stages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids