Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Glee Recap: Big Brother

Glee Recaps Big Brother

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

kac

kac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

I enjoy your recaps, I like it when a recapper adds some editorial comments, and yours are fun (I may not agree with everything you write, but most of it hits home, I like the way your brain works) . I look forward to more.

The Duchess

The Duchess

omnomnomnom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

POPULAR

Best part of the episode - I think the Quinn/Artie storyline was completely successful on all levels, and I am happy to see Kevin McHale coming into his own. They are going to need him to be very important next year and he's stepping up beautifully.

I love seeing you slowly taking a shine to Kevin with each passing recap. :')

Ellaria Sand

Ellaria Sand

Snake Charmer. The Serpent's Whore.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,948 posts

I think the conflict between the Anderson Brothers would have been a perfectly fine C story with one song attached to it instead of three, and without the whole "Fighter" sequence, which was grossly out of proportion to what was really going on. That sequence would have been much better placed if, say, Blaine's father had thrown him out of the house for being gay. Matt Bomer was a very good guest and his acting class was the best scene in the episode.

I'm surprised Kurt didn't sing Fighter at some point, specially when he returned to McKinley (much better than that endless song we were tortured with). Even when it's a breakup song, it definitely fits better what Kurt has been through. And even with what Blaine has been through too. He was bullied and beaten up for being gay, and he had the courage to attend Prom with Kurt and be there for him when they tried to put him down.

Korydwen

Korydwen

Cat-towel of Darren Criss and Fandom's Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
Yes because a gay character should just remain a gay character and never be just a "character" :rolleyes: I mean, showing that a gay person is just another human being who can have issue outside of his sexuality or something related to his sexuality is a terrible idea :rolleyes:

Ellaria Sand

Ellaria Sand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,948 posts

POPULAR

Yes because a gay character should just remain a gay character and never be just a "character" :rolleyes: I mean, showing that a gay person is just another human being who can have issue outside of his sexuality or something related to his sexuality is a terrible idea :rolleyes:

I would say you're right, but Blaine's dilemma besides being gay is "oh, no... my brother is having more attention than me". Considering what he's been through, it's stupid to even complain about this.

Kurt has the whole Nyada storyline and has nothing to do with being gay. And even if he doesn't get accepted and burst out in a song to feel better about it, Fighter would be more fitting. Brittany's storyline about the School Presidency also was nothing to do with her sexuality. Santana's storyline with Dave Martinez also was not about being a lesbian. And those were better storylines than "why people likes my brother better than me? Oh, I will sing how this is crushing me inside and how much a Fighter I am to deal with someone else stealing my spotlight!".

Korydwen

Korydwen

Cat-towel of Darren Criss and Fandom's Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

I would say you're right, but Blaine's dilemma besides being gay is "oh, no... my brother is having more attention than me". Considering what he's been through, it's stupid to even complain about this.

Kurt has the whole Nyada storyline and has nothing to do with being gay. And even if he doesn't get accepted and burst out in a song to feel better about it, Fighter would be more fitting. Brittany's storyline about the School Presidency also was nothing to do with her sexuality. Santana's storyline with Dave Martinez also was not about being a lesbian. And those were better storylines than "why people likes my brother better than me? Oh, I will sing how this is crushing me inside and how much a Fighter I am to deal with someone else stealing my spotlight!".

Except this is totally not what annoy Blaine about his brother. It's the fact that his brother is only telling him critics, All. The. Time.
Basically Blaine feels like his brother doesn't believe in him at all, and thinks his brother doesn't care about him enough to stop wanting to be the center of the attention for 5 minutes.

I wonder if so much people will find this storyline "stupid" if it was Rachel who had an older siblings/parents always telling her she is doing everything wrong in all of her performance. :rolleyes:

And I'm sorry but Santana was not front and center in the David Martinez storyline, it wasn't about her, it was about Mr Schue, anybody else than her could have said what she told him. It wasn't about Santana at all. Brittany being class president has just two line of character development (her thinking she is not smart enough to be president), the rest disappeared to let the stage to Kurt.

However, yes NYADA is the only storyline about a gay character which is not a gay storyline. And Blaine's brother is only the second one we saw.

Ellaria Sand

Ellaria Sand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,948 posts

POPULAR

Except this is totally not what annoy Blaine about his brother. It's the fact that his brother is only telling him critics, All. The. Time.
Basically Blaine feels like his brother doesn't believe in him at all, and thinks his brother doesn't care about him enough to stop wanting to be the center of the attention for 5 minutes.

I wonder if so much people will find this storyline "stupid" if it was Rachel who had an older siblings/parents always telling her she is doing everything wrong in all of her performance. :rolleyes:

He had a whole school telling her she was a loser and slushing her everyday because of that. Not only her, but also Kurt, Mercedes, Tina and Artie.

All brothers are that annoying, btw. Always trolling their younger siblings. It's normal in a brother-sister dynamic to have your brother being a nag or constantly telling you stuff. Whatsoever, Cooper never ever showed to do it because he didn't love Blaine. Their problem was communication: Cooper was sending a message that Blaine wasn't getting. Cooper had a big ego and he was used to people sucking up to him, something Blaine wasn't doing because he's his brother: he's not a big star to him. But besides that, their brother-relationship was pretty much normal.

Moni

Moni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

This wasn't his dilemma. It was about his brother putting him down nonstop since he was a little child. Always pointing out all of his faults and making him feel, like he can never live up to his expectations. Blaine obviously likes his brother despite all of this, so this must have hurt a lot. It is much easier to not care about nonstop critique from someone, you don't like.

All brothers are that annoying, btw. Always trolling their younger siblings. It's normal in a brother-sister dynamic to have your brother being a nag or constantly telling you stuff. Whatsoever, Cooper never ever showed to do it because he didn't love Blaine. Their problem was communication: Cooper was sending a message that Blaine wasn't getting. Cooper had a big ego and he was used to people sucking up to him, something Blaine wasn't doing because he's his brother: he's not a big star to him. But besides that, their brother-relationship was pretty much normal.

Not all siblings treat each other like that, especially not siblings with such a big age gap. But it happens of course a lot. So should Glee only cover more extreme problems in your opinion? Should Glee only be about suicides, car crashes, death threats, gay bashing, problematic pregnancies, and so on? Glee's storylines go already overboard a lot. Portraying here and there a smaller problem a lot of people can identify with, is really not wrong in my opinion.

Matt Holck

Matt Holck

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
wow, I may have to get back to this next Wednesday

Riversong

Riversong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
"I think the priorities were completely off here, and each storyline got attention in the inverse proportion to what it deserved."

Claire: That last line of your recap pretty well sums up my issues with the episode. I've already stated my feeling in more depth in the main thread of the episode so I'm not going to repeat them here.

Quinn Fabray

Quinn Fabray

Good-bye, Cory.

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts

Well, yes, Porcelain, but they don't force each other to point. You are missing the point.

I won't lie. This made me laugh harder than it should have. :lol:

Matt Holck

Matt Holck

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
perhaps moving in opposition might be easier choreography

that way the dance react toward each other as opposed to trying to follow

Quinn Berry

Quinn Berry

I'm trying to apologize to Lumps the Clown.

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I agree so much with the fact that the Blaine storyline should have been C Plot or hell give it A Plot but have it be 3x16 not the episode right after a character who has been there since day 1 had her life in jeopardy when the show ended on it's hiatus and this is exactly what I mean by the show making male issues more important this is just a long line of examples. Not to mention if you look at past peisodes where a character was in critical condition [Burt being in the hospital, Karfosky's suicide attempt got a hospital scene, Blaine had a central plot about being brutally slushied, etc.] Yet we take a car crash with one of the female main characters and bam we skip ahead 6/7 weeks or so and didn't even get any flashbacks all so Blaine could have a storyline focused on the wangst of this brother dramas.

Doing this episode and the writers wanting us to take Blaine's woes seriously while not treating Quinn's situation with more care... I also don't know if I am supposed to take Quinn's word to heart about her being a self obsessd bith when she snapped at Joe. Because if I am supposd to think that a girl who yes only temporarily paralyzed is a self obsessd bitch for losing patience and expressing her anger vs. Blaine having sibling dramas being serious... I just can't.

Because Quinn being a self obsessd bitch and Blaine being a "fighter" with their plots is grossly offensive.

Yes speaking about the Quinn being used to have Finnchel not get married... I was so thrown off by Finn's comment he's thankful they didn't do it. I know he's not saying he is thankful for the crash but saying this after Rachel mentioning not going through with the wedding after the accident I had to side eye Finn.

Blaine Anderson

Blaine Anderson

The two sides of hiatus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,390 posts
To take this in a more positive direction, how do you feel about disco, Claire?

CLoveGlee

CLoveGlee

Recapping Fool

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Writer
I had a crush on Robin Gibb back in the day.

CLoveGlee

CLoveGlee

Recapping Fool

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Writer
I joked earlier in the thread that I had a crush on Robin Gibb back in the day.

...And I say this, to lighten the mood, and he promptly goes into a coma. The Bee Gees tribute is in four days, and he may not be alive then. Not the best news I've had all day.

Glee... please stop doing tributes to people. This is becoming a little scary.

Don't EVER answer Paul McCartney's phone calls! I'm begging you!

Blaine Anderson

Blaine Anderson

The two sides of hiatus

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,390 posts

I joked earlier in the thread that I had a crush on Robin Gibb back in the day.

...And I say this, to lighten the mood, and he promptly goes into a coma. The Bee Gees tribute is in four days, and he may not be alive then. Not the best news I've had all day.

Glee... please stop doing tributes to people. This is becoming a little scary.

Don't EVER answer Paul McCartney's phone calls! I'm begging you!

I'm so bummed about Robin. Back in March, Jimmy Ellis of The Trammps died. He sang "Disco Inferno". :(

Not that anyone should care about my opinion, but I find your recaps entertaining, even when you get very fed up with Glee and how it balances its storylines. I much preferred the side story from "Yes/No" where Kurt and Rory had to dispose the body, compared to the rest of the episode. :P So I'll just catch up on "Big Brother" and "Saturday Night Glee-ver" next week when the wank has dialed down a bit.

Lorelai Gilmore

Lorelai Gilmore

oy with the poodles already

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,590 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Gay
  • GFA '13: Favorite Mod/Admin
  • GFA '14: Biggest Sam Stan
The moderators have made the decision to remove all off-topic discussion and re-open this thread, so as to be fair to the members who were not doing anything wrong.

Please stay on-topic and be civil or you will be instantly banned and rot in hell.*

Posted Image

fantastica

fantastica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts
great recap claire! don't stop recapping. :) we will be here rooting for you girl!

colferinspired

colferinspired

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
I think Big Brother was Blaine's development, he is a spoilt attention whore, who has to get all the praise, because he can't take criticism.
I thought Blaine's story was hysterical, it was so over the top. I think Fighter was in a way parody of 'Roses Turn'.
I thought 'Fighter' would upset me, but I was laughing so hard. It was so over done. The lighting made me think I was watching one of those films that did parody on "I Know What You Did Last Summer" and others. I was expecting in the shower scene, the guy from Scream to pop up and kill Blaine in a funny way. Posted Image
This is how Blaine sees himself. I think this what they were telling us. He thinks he is the hottest guy in the world, he can box, so he is the toughest.
And in Season 4 I hope they introduce a character that tears him down and puts him in his place.
I think Prince Charming is gone. Blaine has a bigger ego than Rachel.

I can't believe that people keep bringing up about Blaine's so called past, when it has not been brought up since.
Season 4 could be that Blaine told nothing but lies and he was never bullied but taunted for other reasons, being an attention whore, because his parents think he is the most talented and most wonderful son in the world.

Blaine will be next Seasons female Rachel, and that will be it. The signs are already there.

I want this because I can then finally distinguish between character and Darren, because a lot of people, including me, because of how he is written.

And I would love this Blaine and be frustrated by him as well.

Plus Darren can do comedy, this would be a storyline I would want to see.

Prince Charming needs to go.

Wouldn't others want this instead?

I have had enough of angst on this show.

Let Blaine be a character that doesn't have any. Then I would fall in love with this character again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glee Recaps, Big Brother

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids