• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

General Schuester

General Schuester

Captain of Team Will

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
I loved the aftermath scene especially how confident emma was. I laughed when sue asked why she looked different

General Schuester

General Schuester

Captain of Team Will

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts

that would have established emma's role (and rightfully so) of really steering this whole thing

I think this episode clearly established that and not just from the sex and the aftermath talk though that is clearly a definitely reason. The discussion Will had with Emma when he was panicking and how he was freaking out before they performed and all she did was clasp his hands and kiss them to calm him down.

She is his rock and she has been this to him since The Pilot.

Gleekster 414

Gleekster 414

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Okay, I am getting pissed off if they made that big of a deal of Emma`s V-Card. They showed like two seconds.

Sure, I wanted to see more of it. But, it was well-handled and at least they did it!

They wasted a golden opportunity to inter-cut Will/Emma's first time with ND performing 'Paradise by the Dashboard Light'. They could have hinted at Will/Emma having sex the night before Nationals, then had Will/Emma in the audience together, both having flashbacks to doing the deed. It could have been a fabulous throwback to 'Bohemian Rhapsody' inter-cut with Quinn giving birth.

Interesting idea. It actually crossed my mind that they might do this too. But, in retrospect, I think "Paradise" needed to be all on stage, with no parallel action with Wemma. Of course, I love Wemma and wanted to see more, but I think Paradise needed to stand on its own as a pure performance piece.

Stringfellow

Stringfellow

Alfie forgives but never forgets.

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts
  • GFA '13: Mod Spotlight

Sure, I wanted to see more of it. But, it was well-handled and at least they did it!

Interesting idea. It actually crossed my mind that they might do this too. But, in retrospect, I think "Paradise" needed to be all on stage, with no parallel action with Wemma. Of course, I love Wemma and wanted to see more, but I think Paradise needed to stand on its own as a pure performance piece.

I'm also glad they didn't cut into "Paradise" -the performance needed to be seen in it's entirety. The song was a New Directions number AND it was freaking Nationals. It would had been terrible to cut into it.

I didn't think we would ever get a big moment for Wemma sex. It's the same for Finchel and Klaine in "The First Time". This isn't that type of show. The show has always cut away from the intimate sexual scenes -even back when Brittany climbed upon Artie in season two -AND when they showed the before-hand and aftermath of Finn/Santana sex in season one. The only concession I would make regarding Wemma -would be that there could had been a cut-away shot with Emma looking at Will to show some foreshadowing. But I'm fine with how the producers decided to cut it in "Tongue-Tied". I'm just glad the issue has been addressed and Wemma can move forward.

Pandance

Pandance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
Hi, I may be late on posting my thoughts about this since I assume all the action is happening in the "Goodbye" forum. But please listen to what I have to say! I'll try to keep this clear and organized for you to understand this.

First of all, I am disappointed with the build-up to this moment and the moment itself. Don't get me wrong here, I am a fan of Wemma, so I am not against the fact that they should have sex.

I am disappointed because we did not see any build-up to this moment. In season 3, I was hoping to see progress in Emma's OCD recovery, but until this episode, it appears that she is still with this disorder:

Asian F-OCD flare-up caused by her parents' visit
Yes/No-she told Will that her medication works on some days, while on other days, it doesn't. We also saw her scrubbing away at the coffee pot.
Dance with Somebody-Emma actually said she has OCD and that she can't get married in a campground. That was the last episode with a Wemma storyline until the big deed in the "Nationals" episode. Emma was showing affection towards Will in the prom episode, but that didn't have any Wemma storyline.

Because of the lack of progress, I felt there was not enough focus as to why Emma wanted to have sex with Will at this time.
Why? In season 2, the "Sexy" episode drew a lot of attention to her virginity: supervising the Celibacy Club where she underlined the importance of abstinence and finding out that Emma and Carl never had sex. As well, we also hear Sue's insults about Emma's virginity and being sexless. So when the time came, I was expecting a storyline about it. I know that she is truly in love with Will, but how did she become so confident suddenly and let herself loose when she's still handcuffed to the chains of her OCD? Was winning nationals really the driving force to make such a huge decision?

The whole issue about Emma's virginity and Will's frustration about their love life was brushed off in this episode with short, dialogue-less, intercut scenes. I believe sex is a huge deal for Will and Emma, so it should have deserved more attention. And more attention does not necessarily mean explicit scenes. I am guessing that Jayma Mays had some input on how the scene was shot. In a couple of interviews, Jayma said she was afraid of what she would have to do in front of the camera (after finding out that Emma was still a virgin in S2). I don't blame her either.

What I was expecting: a storyline about Emma feeling more confident thus leaving hints to Will that she's ready to do the deed. I know this episode is about nationals and the focus should be on the students. If Will and Emma going to have sex, it should be in a separate episode. I was hoping for some dialogue between the two, but unfortunately, we got were intercut scenes of the whole thing to the song "Tongue Tied". In my opinion, I do not think it is an appropriate background song for Will and Emma's special moment, especially for Emma (after all, it's her first time).

I was also unsatisfied by what happened after the deed. Yes, I really liked the chemistry between them in the scene inside the classroom, but I expected Will to tell Emma how much it meant to him and their relationship. I mean, when was the last time he had sex? And for him to do it with Emma (who was having it for the first time) means a lot to him, doesn't it?

So yes, I am disappointed by how this scene was carried out. I was really looking forward to this moment, but it was not what I expected it to be.

Sara2009

Sara2009

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
  • GFA '15: Mod Spotlight

I was also unsatisfied by what happened after the deed. Yes, I really liked the chemistry between them in the scene inside the classroom, but I expected Will to tell Emma how much it meant to him and their relationship. I mean, when was the last time he had sex? And for him to do it with Emma (who was having it for the first time) means a lot to him, doesn't it?

Personally, I LOVED the aftermath and didn't have any problems with it. I wouldn't change a thing. It made sense to me that they didn't discuss the incident at work. Plus, I'm assuming they probably talked at their home after it happened .

Pandance

Pandance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Personally, I LOVED the aftermath and didn't have any problems with it. I wouldn't change a thing. It made sense to me that they didn't discuss the incident at work. Plus, I'm assuming they probably talked at their home after it happened .

Yes, I see what you mean about not discussing it at their workplace--makes sense. I still wish we had a scene of them discussing it at home.

As you may have noticed, Emma suddenly became more self-confident in the classroom scene. Do you think this change in personality will be reflected in the rest of the series?

Sara2009

Sara2009

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
Probably. Honestly, I think Emma has been confident all season. I didn't expect her to be quite as proactive as she was, but given how much she grew this season, it made sense to me in hindsight.

chantilly

chantilly

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts
For me it was not actually rushed at all within the arc of the whole SL but I do feel it was rushed within the episode. I think the song montage should have ended at the thud of Will dropping his briefcase and then the scene could have had a bit of dialogue. Simple like a "Hi" from Emma. A speechless Will. And then a moment where he says " are you sure about this?" and then Emma simply nods and starts undressing him. And the scene plays out as it did. I get narratively why they went with the montage as it was a culmination for a lot of the Couples SL's at an important victory moment for all of them. But I think Emma and Will deserved a separate scene. The amount we saw was understandable as it is " a family show" but given the attention focused to it etc for three years it should have stood alone. Finchel and Klaine while they showed less the whole episode was still devoted to the event including the title.

I do like that if you weren't paying attention to spoilers that it would have been a pleasant surprise though. But like I said in the paragraph earlier I would have liked it to happen with no montage etc.

As far as Will acknowledging what it meant to him I think he clearly did with his" well worth the wait" line and his thanking her for her support.

Pandance

Pandance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

For me it was not actually rushed at all within the arc of the whole SL but I do feel it was rushed within the episode. I think the song montage should have ended at the thud of Will dropping his briefcase and then the scene could have had a bit of dialogue.

That would have sufficed too. With the background music ending, that moment would have been a lot more meaningful.

I get narratively why they went with the montage as it was a culmination for a lot of the Couples SL's at an important victory moment for all of them. But I think Emma and Will deserved a separate scene. The amount we saw was understandable as it is " a family show" but given the attention focused to it etc for three years it should have stood alone.

Exactly, and which is why I was disappointed with the lack of build-up to this moment. It seemed like the whole thing was handled lightly. Even though her pamphlets characterize her (and I love the titles), I don't think she should have left that pamphlet on his desk. Most of you would probably find it funny, but I found it kind of creepy in that situation.

As far as Will acknowledging what it meant to him I think he clearly did with his" well worth the wait" line and his thanking her for her support.

Yes, I know what you mean, but for me, I didn't think it was enough. Or maybe I have very high expectations for this show...

bejt

bejt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Hi, I may be late on posting my thoughts about this since I assume all the action is happening in the "Goodbye" forum. But please listen to what I have to say! I'll try to keep this clear and organized for you to understand this.

First of all, I am disappointed with the build-up to this moment and the moment itself. Don't get me wrong here, I am a fan of Wemma, so I am not against the fact that they should have sex.

I am disappointed because we did not see any build-up to this moment. In season 3, I was hoping to see progress in Emma's OCD recovery, but until this episode, it appears that she is still with this disorder:

Asian F-OCD flare-up caused by her parents' visit
Yes/No-she told Will that her medication works on some days, while on other days, it doesn't. We also saw her scrubbing away at the coffee pot.
Dance with Somebody-Emma actually said she has OCD and that she can't get married in a campground. That was the last episode with a Wemma storyline until the big deed in the "Nationals" episode. Emma was showing affection towards Will in the prom episode, but that didn't have any Wemma storyline.

Because of the lack of progress, I felt there was not enough focus as to why Emma wanted to have sex with Will at this time.
Why? In season 2, the "Sexy" episode drew a lot of attention to her virginity: supervising the Celibacy Club where she underlined the importance of abstinence and finding out that Emma and Carl never had sex. As well, we also hear Sue's insults about Emma's virginity and being sexless. So when the time came, I was expecting a storyline about it. I know that she is truly in love with Will, but how did she become so confident suddenly and let herself loose when she's still handcuffed to the chains of her OCD? Was winning nationals really the driving force to make such a huge decision?

The whole issue about Emma's virginity and Will's frustration about their love life was brushed off in this episode with short, dialogue-less, intercut scenes. I believe sex is a huge deal for Will and Emma, so it should have deserved more attention. And more attention does not necessarily mean explicit scenes. I am guessing that Jayma Mays had some input on how the scene was shot. In a couple of interviews, Jayma said she was afraid of what she would have to do in front of the camera (after finding out that Emma was still a virgin in S2). I don't blame her either.

What I was expecting: a storyline about Emma feeling more confident thus leaving hints to Will that she's ready to do the deed. I know this episode is about nationals and the focus should be on the students. If Will and Emma going to have sex, it should be in a separate episode. I was hoping for some dialogue between the two, but unfortunately, we got were intercut scenes of the whole thing to the song "Tongue Tied". In my opinion, I do not think it is an appropriate background song for Will and Emma's special moment, especially for Emma (after all, it's her first time).

So yes, I am disappointed by how this scene was carried out. I was really looking forward to this moment, but it was not what I expected it to be.

I like your analysis about the progression of the OCD storyline - and I guess you're right- it did just stop at some point... but I would think that the writers did that for shock value- as that did come as a surprise

after re watching I guess I'm sort of ok with how it was done- but still they could have give in a little few secs (there was enough shots of the glee kids hugging and goofing around they could have shaved off of)
that always make me feel (as did the 6 secs in s2 finale) that wemma SL matter less, after a 3 year build up- you would think we would get a little bit more
though comparing with finchel and klaine first time scenes wemma was more 'sexy'

not crazy about the song choice (in full contrast to 'my life would suck' which was also a montage- but way better in context )
and still comparing with finchel-klaine- they had their duets in the background which wemma fans have yet to be blessed with... :(

like you I tend to think that Jayma feelings may have contributed a little to this (though we had far more 'risque' scenes in previous seasons)

I loved the after scene- that did make up (a little) for the rushed scene
like many- I didn't go for Emma's explanation (though some posts did explain that well)
hoping for s4 a- nice slow love scene...

Pandance

Pandance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

I like your analysis about the progression of the OCD storyline - and I guess you're right- it did just stop at some point... but I would think that the writers did that for shock value- as that did come as a surprise

I think the writers shocked us a bit. Some fans didn't think it was much of a surprise because they knew it was coming (either from spoilers or speculation).

after re watching I guess I'm sort of ok with how it was done- but still they could have give in a little few secs (there was enough shots of the glee kids hugging and goofing around they could have shaved off of)
that always make me feel (as did the 6 secs in s2 finale) that wemma SL matter less, after a 3 year build up- you would think we would get a little bit more
though comparing with finchel and klaine first time scenes wemma was more 'sexy'

I know, right? That's why my reaction to it was, "That was it?". Three years of drama boils down to this?
The Finchel and Klaine first time scenes were more sweet and artistic (hands clasping in union) while the Wemma scene was hotter. I believe a lot of Finchel and Klaine fans were complaining too about the shortness and implicitness of the scenes in "The First Time".

not crazy about the song choice (in full contrast to 'my life would suck' which was also a montage- but way better in context )
and still comparing with finchel-klaine- they had their duets in the background which wemma fans have yet to be blessed with... :(

I just came across an amazing song that would have better suited the Wemma's first time scene! It's called, "Last Night of the World" from Miss Saigon. If you add this song to the background and lengthen the Wemma scene a bit longer, it would have been a heck lot better! Wait until you get to the chorus of the song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Cx3v8Vom4

hoping for s4 a- nice slow love scene...

Maybe they can add "Last Night of the World" then!

Sara2009

Sara2009

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
I understand why some people wanted more, but I was fine with the short sex scene. Personally, I was just happy that story line was finally resolved. Since Will/Emma are adults, I'm glad that RIB didn't make a huge deal out of it. It happened naturally, and I liked that. I didn't want an episode focused on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users