Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Finn Shouldn't Have Made Rachel's Decision for Her

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

theatregirl8

theatregirl8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

This is so typical. Rachel had made her decision about her future. It wasn't a good decision, but it was her's to make. Finn was upset about not getting in, and conflicted about his dad, so he decided to join the army, and make Rachel's decision about college for her, to the point where he had packed her a bag. Then, it seems like he told everyone in Glee club about it behind her back, so they could be there to see her off, whether she wanted to or not.

Finn was the decider. He decided to join the army, without discussing it with his fiance. He decided that Rachel should go to NYADA, and planned it out with her dads. He then broke up with her "because he loves her". Yeah, he loves her so much he makes all of her decisions for her. I liked the way that things ended, I thought it was the right thing to do, but I think it should have been a mutual decision they came to after talking things out, not something that Finn decided and ambushed Rachel with at the train station.

After such a good episode, they end with that. Finn is still the self-sacrificial hero even though he's really a jerk, and Rachel is still the simpering idiot who's life still revolves around whatever Finn wants.

Ugh, Glee will never change.

Phylos

Phylos

PhyloS

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,270 posts
  • GFA '12: Smartest

POPULAR

Posted Image

Posted Image

gleek 22

gleek 22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted Image

Posted Image

yep there it doesn't surprise

Sam Evans

Sam Evans

hold me, niall

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,261 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Gay
  • GFA '13: Favorite Mod/Admin
  • GFA '14: Biggest Sam Stan

POPULAR

Bullshit.

This was the only logical direction for this story to go in -- it's been building to it one way or another all season long. Finn loves Rachel, and to show that he did what's best for her. He knew she wouldn't be happy if she'd stayed in Lima. He had to do what was best for her and let her go and chase her dreams. As he said, if they're meant to be together, then they will be.

Some 'fans' will never be happy.

General Schuester

General Schuester

Captain of Team Will

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
Yes because the decision Rachel made on her own was SO perfect and in character.

Stay in Lima despite being accepted to the school where her dreams can seriously begin so that she could make sure that her boyfriend and her gay get into school the same year as her.

OMFG THAT IS THE MOST PERFECT ENDING EVAH!!

Jovie the Elf

Jovie the Elf

SON OF A NUTCRACKER

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,042 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
  • GFA '13: Most Perverted
um

what

Posted Image

Graffme

Graffme

Advanced Member

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,842 posts

POPULAR

Also? It's television for crying out loud. Some drama required. I'm sure we're going to get plenty of posts and feminist blogs about how "Finn once again stole a female's agency", but geez.

Phylos

Phylos

PhyloS

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,270 posts

Also? It's television for crying out loud. Some drama required. I'm sure we're going to get plenty of posts and feminist blogs about how "Finn once again stole a female's agency", but geez.

Damn, you jinxed it now.

*runs away*

Panda Express

Panda Express

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

POPULAR

I haven't watched the episode tbh I forgot it was on but FINCHEL BREAKS UP!?!@?!?!?!?!?!?!?! YESSSSSSSSSSSSS BEST EPISODE SINCE HELL-O!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jovie the Elf

Jovie the Elf

SON OF A NUTCRACKER

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,042 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
  • GFA '13: Most Perverted

Damn, you jinxed it now.

*runs away*

YOU LIKED ONE OF MY POSTS THAT USED A HARRY GIF

Posted Image

Chanandler Bong

Chanandler Bong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

POPULAR

Yeah such a Jerk move telling your fiancée that she isn't giving up her dream.

Fucking spare me...

theatregirl8

theatregirl8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

POPULAR

I liked the way it ended, but I think it should have been a conclusion that Rachel and Finn should have come to together. He ambushed Rachel with the whole thing by planning it with her dads, packing her bag, and apparently telling everyone in the Glee club about it before discussing it with her. While he was ultimately right, he really did "steal her agency" with the way he dealt with things. It was the best ending Rachel could get, but I didn't like how they got there. Them breaking up, Rachel leaving, and Finn leaving should have been a conversation they had together, which would have been a great opportunity for Lea and Cory to display their acting chops. It shouldn't have been something Finn blindsided Rachel with five minutes before she got on a train.

Rachel Berry

Rachel Berry

Rise, shine and have a cup of coffee with me!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,667 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Articulate
  • GFA '13: Smartest
  • GFA '14: Best Singer

POPULAR

Lol, Finn really likes the car break ups.

It's kinda funny how the same people are defending Finn for the nobility of his decision who have taken offence earlier at people suggesting that Finn might be holding Rachel back and letting her go would be the ultimate proof of his loving her...

KurtBlaine4Ever

KurtBlaine4Ever

The show must go all over the place, or something.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,149 posts
I admire Finn for doing this. Rachel would of regretted not going and there no say they would got in the next year. He did the right thing and shows that he really does love her.

Chanandler Bong

Chanandler Bong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Lol, Finn really likes the car break ups.

It's kinda funny how the same people are defending Finn for the nobility of his decision who have taken offence earlier at people suggesting that Finn might be holding Rachel back and letting her go would be the ultimate proof of his loving her...

That is because if he had something to do there and went too he wouldn't be holding her back.
He would be holding her back by staying in Lima with no future.

Phylos

Phylos

PhyloS

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,270 posts
Posted Image

A little late, but alas.

Rachel Berry

Rachel Berry

Rise, shine and have a cup of coffee with me!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,667 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Articulate
  • GFA '13: Smartest
  • GFA '14: Best Singer

That is because if he had something to do there and went too he wouldn't be holding her back.
He would be holding her back by staying in Lima with no future.

The discussions I was referring to took mainly place before the Bee Gees episode, that is before Finn had any plans of becoming an actor and his going to New York had no motivation at all, except being with Rachel. People back then argued that this was a bad move for Finn and could turn into a drag for Rachel, Kurt told Finn so in that "you can't only hold her purse on the red carpet" speech.

CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts

POPULAR

I'm sure we're going to get plenty of posts and feminist blogs about how "Finn once again stole a female's agency"

Because he did.

Graffme

Graffme

Advanced Member

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,842 posts

POPULAR

Because he did.

No, because people take this show way too freaking seriously.

theatregirl8

theatregirl8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

POPULAR

Well, Glee likes to act like they have something to say about social issues and people in general. So, we are very much invited to take the show "freaking seriously" when they do something as serious as have two teenagers decide to get married, and then have the boy break it off without really discussing the issue with the girl. This show reaches a lot of young people, and has always presented itself as a teacher of sorts to that group. If they want to take on that responsibility, which they didn't do in the beginning, then they need to take that responsibility seriously. If they come up with a plot point, they need to think about what it says about the characters enacting it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids