Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Glee Recap: Goodbye

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Therefore her own plans to go to the University of Lewisville, which is in neither Lima nor New York, must be, by definition, scuttled.

Well, strictly speaking, it was Will, Brittany and Sue's plan for her future, which they bludgeoned her into tentatively accepting. After that nonsense, I was glad to see her actually assert her own desires and take control of her own life for once.

Santana's mother, played by Gloria Estevan, opens a scene in Breadstix by talking about the fact that Santana is gay, because this is apparently the only portion of Santana's being that defines her anymore. And yes, she's talking only to Santana and Brittany, whom we can assume already know this. I am getting tired of the anecdotes about Halloween costumes defining people's sexual orientation.

The thing that annoys me most about that joke is that it's not even character-appropriate. "Santana dressed like a guy as a kid, that means she's a lesbian!" Santana is not Kurt, the man with very feminine interests. She herself is super-femme and doesn't have a single stereotypically masculine interest that I can think of, and is typically shown to be terrified of the more "butch" aspects of lesbian culture, which for a while she seemed to think she would have to conform to if she came out.

Oh, and seriously, writers, Full House? Santana was born in 1994, not 1987. Could they not come up with more age-appropriate references?

Rachel Hudson

Rachel Hudson

I love you, Cory.

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,951 posts
  • GFA '12: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '13: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '14: Best Writer
Haha, other than the ending, I actually liked this episode. I guess the finales haven't been successful overall...

Romee

Romee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
Ugh, this episode was all an ode to Finn while leading up to the big question: Oh my God, what will happen to Finchel?!

<_<

You know, I would never have thought they would write such a bad season finale. How naive...

Kurt, Mercedes, Santana, Brittany (especially!), Mike and Tina all deserved better.

Love your recaps by the way!

CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Then Quinn, who is stilll trying to wrap up her storyline, come in to give Sue back the uniform she hasn't really worn in almost a year. Sue wants Quinn to keep the uniform, to signify the importance of the bond they shared together. Sue used to think that Quinn was just like her, and indeed, she may have been projecting stuff onto Quinn just the same way Will does with Finn. However, Sue has decided that Quinn is better because she's slightly less evil... which I guess is barely true, and becoming more so. I think it's interesting that the show acknowledges that Quinn is often pretty evil, even if less so than Sue. Sue admires Quinn, and thinks she's going to go far. They recap Quinn's entire story very briefly, and end with a tearful hug. It is possible, although by no means certain, that this was Jane's last scene with Dianna, and the realization of that is palpable.

This is another unearned moment, really. What has Sue even done for Quinn (that wasn't soured thereafter)? Why would Quinn ever miss her? Particularly this season, where they like three scenes, two of which involved Sue manipulating or insulting her; and it's the same in season two, and even through most of season one after the pregnancy became public.

Matt Holck

Matt Holck

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
so Mike went the way of Billy Eliot off to the ballet

CLoveGlee

CLoveGlee

Recapping Fool

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Writer

POPULAR

And now... we wait. It's a whole waiting party outside the geography classroom. Finn, Rachel, Mike, Santana, Mercedes, even Kurt if you look fast enough and don't blink (he's wearing a funny hat) are pacing the hall, waiting for the result as Quinn catches up. Puck hollers a warning shot... if he doesn't pass, it's open season on faculty tires! Ah, if seduction and studying don't work, try threats. The teacher opens the door, and Puck grabs his precious, precious test. Clearly the teacher values her tires.

Puckerman got a C-. He does not ever have to worry about the Rain in Spain again. There are lots of hugs, and then we have one of the strangest graduation ceremonies I have ever seen. There are a bunch of kids we don't know onstage in their red caps and gowns. Finn, stage left, is playing his drum kit (why does he not want to be a drummer?) and Puck has his guitar. Finn and Puck begin to sing "Glory Days." This is a very small senior class for a public high school - only about forty people. And, oddly enough, they appear to be doing this by extra curricular activity, because they only show us the Glee Kids graduating. Within that group, it's even weirder: it is not quite correct to say that they are graduating in random alphabetical order, because this is not random.

It's a curtain call for the eight Glee seniors.

The more important you are, the later you are, and we get a very precise idea of what Brad considers the pecking order for these eight people. Take a bow, guys. And they do. As Figgins and I call their names, the senior comes out from a curtain opposite the stage, and greets his or her loved ones in the audience as well as Emma and Will on the way to joining the others already on the stage.

- MIKE CHANG JR, played by Harry Shum, Jr. Did not get any spoken lines until the second season. Did not really sing until the third. He hugs Tina and we see his parents.

- QUINN FABREY, played by Dianna Agron. Villain for much of the show's run. We see her mother.

- MERCEDES JONES, played by Amber Riley. Solid supporting Muppet Baby. Does not have any family.

- NOAH PUCKERMAN, played by Mark Salling. May be here because it's the bridge and he has a moment when he does not have to sing lead. His mother is in the audience. His father, not surprisingly, is not.

- SANTANA LOPEZ, played by Naya Rivera. OK, now we get the big guns, the kids invited back next year. Remember when she was Quinn's minion? And... this is BIZARRE. We just SAW her mother. Where is blazes is she today? Yes, yes, there's Brittany, but... did Gloria Estafan get called away or something?

And now the mighty three:

KURT HUMMEL, played by the award - winning Chris Colfer. Remember when he was a Muppet Baby hanging out with Mercedes? Hey, remember when he was an Indian kid named Raj? And is the daddy bear there? You betcha. THERE'S MY BOY! THERE'S MY BOY! Good heavens, what is that THING on his robe? And Blaine has tissues for him. He's crying again.

Ah, the showmance...

FINN HUDSON, played by Cory Montieth, also an award nominee. He sings WHILE he's getting his diploma. And there's mama. Romy did not get called away after her one big scene.

And finally... because she's the star, and she's the one who really matters.... RACHEL BERRY, played by Lea Michele. Emmy Nominee, People's Choice Nominee, Golden Globe nominee, etc. Will gets real emotional about it all but... uh... OK, Jeff Goldblum, get your butt on this set and see your daughter graduate! You too, Brian Stokes Mitchell! Shame on you! Oh, but let's please have a Finchel makeout session right there on the stage. You know we don't get enough of those. The whole thing is so awesome and inspiring, Sue hugs Will.

Sue.
Hugs.
Will.

Voluntarily and sincerely. I am still getting used to this concept.

And now... the scene that will live in infamy. One of the ten television scenes of my entire audience career that has made me the angriest. The debate is lively and we don't all agree, and that's OK, but this one scene just about destroyed the entire season for me, because it completely destroyed an important character who has been hanging by a thread of hope for several months.

There are three letters, sitting on a chair. One is for Finn Hudson. One is for Kurt Hummel. One is for Rachel Berry. Finn is the only one of the three who has considered what he might do if he's rejected. Finn, who senses the coming doom, wants to wait forever before his fate is sealed. But he's willing to go first. He's the one with the backup plan that he spent a scene discussing with his mother before this letter came.

Finn Hudson has had the dream of going to PACE since Saturday Night Glee-ver, seven episodes ago. He's been discussing the army for even longer. He's had a senior year dotted with personal accolades for a winning football team, and he was Prom King. He got to sing lead for Nationals. He had his shares of successes and failures. And it's good he has a backup plan, because this is a failure. Finn Hudson did not get into PACE. Fortunately, he'll get some time to talk about that in a few minutes.

Kurt Hummel has talked about absolutely nothing but NYADA since the idea came up 22 episodes ago. He was repeatedly rejected for being too effeminate. When he was named Prom Queen, it was as an insult for being effeminate. He never got to sing for New Directions because he was not willing to dress in drag. He has had no personal victories of any kind whatsoever all year long - except for one. He got to be a NYADA finalist, and he was told he did very well on his NYADA audition. And neither of those things matter in the slightest, because Kurt Hummel did not get into NYADA. And with that, his story is done for the year. He will not say another solitary word for the rest of the episode. There appears to be no need to give us any clue as to what's going to happen to him, or a moment to even cry with him as he faces this complete demolition of his status as an inspirational gay character. He's just a Lima Loser now, and he has no future at all. Of all the kids on the show, he is the only one for whom that is true. Sucks to be you, Kurt. Sucks to be us, Kurt fans. All. Year. Long.

Rachel Berry has wanted to be on Broadway since she was about, oh, two. She was the lead in West Side Story, and she sang lead at Nationals. She got a second chance that was unearned when she let her nerves get the best of her. She was given a title of Prom Queen that did not belong to her. And now... she is going to NYADA, and we'll spend the last ten minutes of the episode talking about that.

Tsukasa

Tsukasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
The funny thing for me is that "Glory Days" is actually a horrible song choice for a graduation. I don't know if A) the writers were under the popular misconception that because it is up-tempo it is a happy song like many people believe, B) they were snipping and twisting the meaning of the song to fit their narrative like "Losing My Religion", or C) it was intentional and meant to apply to Finn et al. and their fears of being "Lima Losers".

The lyrics are beautiful, but it is not a celebratory song.

CLoveGlee

CLoveGlee

Recapping Fool

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts

POPULAR

Well, for a number of these cast members, their Glory Days are indeed passing by. It's hard to get a gig like Glee.

So, now that Rachel's gotten everything she's ever wanted, she takes a few minutes to ponder on how all her dreams came true. She was Prom Queen, although it was an unearned accomplishment. She was Show Choir National Champion, which I don't agree with either, since the judges actually said they weren't the best singers or dancers. (However, the narrative really requires that they win this. It's just a shame they don't have the dancers to make it plausible.) And she's on her way to Broadway to study! Because of an undeserved second chance that would never, ever happen in the real world! I still wish Carmen just happened to be at Nationals for some other reason. That would have gone down MUCH better with me than the crazy stalking thing. Of course, the accolade I think she should have gotten went to Unique. Back room deals. Perez, I hope you are happy.

CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts
The grad order isn't strict pecking order. It's bifurcated. You've got:

1) The four people who seem not likely to be regulars next season, in alphabetical order by last name (Chang, Fabray, Jones, Puckerman).
2) The four people most clearly earmarked to return, in from least to most important (Santana, Kurt, Finn, Rachel).

Puck, arguably, could be added to the latter group and keep the same principles in place.

- SANTANA LOPEZ, played by Naya Rivera. OK, now we get the big guns, the kids invited back next year. Remember when she was Quinn's minion? And... this is BIZARRE. We just SAW her mother. Where is blazes is she today? Yes, yes, there's Brittany, but... did Gloria Estafan get called away or something?

Gloria filmed both her scenes on one day, a few days after the graduation ceremony was filmed. Maybe they decided it wasn't worth having her show up for one day to have no lines, and then wait around in LA killing time?

CLoveGlee

CLoveGlee

Recapping Fool

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts

POPULAR

Strangely enough, Rachel is still sad. Finn and Kurt are not going with her anymore. Therefore, she's deferring her acceptance to NYADA for a year.

OK, let me see if I've got this straight. We've been debating nonstop about whether or not Rachel's stalker behavior to get a second chance from Carmen is insanity that should not have been rewarded, or evidence of tenacity that sets her apart from the rest of the flock and ensures her right to success. Then... as soon as Kurt and Finn fail, which was always very likely to be the case, she wants to take this exceedingly rare and precious gift she fought so hard for... and defer it? OK, you entitled little brat, are you quite sure that NYADA is going to TAKE you next year if you turn your nose up at your spot now? They are gonna just cross you off their list and go to the first runner up. Wouldn't it be funny if that person turned out to be Kurt? Wouldn't it be even funnier if he did not hesitate to go? Rachel, take your golden ticket and be grateful.

Santana is clearing out her locker. Her mother - hey, here she is again! - is calling her to come to her graduation celebration. She also has a present, which she finally decided not to put in Santana's pinata. It's a huge amount of money that her mama has put aside to help Santana pay for college. Since Santana is not going to college, she can use it to go to New York, and her future is now set. She's ready for Season Four. Apparently Brad feels like the audience cares about her enough to want to know how her story will turn out.

And now... it's the big day! Rachel and Finn are headed out to get married! Rachel is wearing a prim little red suit that screams Ohio schoolgirl. It's a great outfit for a trip to a wedding site in the sticks. It could get her mugged in downtown New York City. Her dads are still kind of uncomfortable about the wedding.... can't imagine why. And why is Finn driving the wrong direction? Wait a minute... this is an Amtrak station.

Rachel, my dear, everybody you love has been lying to you. Finn is not going to marry you today. He is sticking you on a train to New York City, and you do not have any say in the matter. Those dads who were so quiet about the wedding to you this morning are all part of this massive double-cross. They finally found a way to make sure you don't get married, and they are on their way to New York ahead of you to get you set up. No, you do not get ANY SAY IN THE MATTER. Yes, I know I just scolded at you for wanting to throw your golden ticket in the trash, but I wanted YOU to make the right decision.

They are not getting married today. Rachel thought it was her wedding day, but Finn lied to her. Finn lied to her. About THAT. Finn's motivations are noble; he does not want Rachel stuck in Lima for another year because of his own failure. However, his tactics are absolutely unforgivable. Rachel begs him to come with her, but Finn asks a superb question; is she 100 percent sure she wants to marry him? Well, no... and after the stunt you've just pulled, buddy, that percentage should have just dropped an absolutely whopping amount. Of all the crappy things Finn has ever done, this just might take the cake. At least Finn is self-aware enough to know that he's standing in her way, and that she needs freedom from him in order to fly, but this has got to be the worst method for breaking up with somebody you love that I have ever seen.

This poor little bride, ready for her wedding day... he's setting her free, whether she likes it or not. He's made all her life decisions for her, without her permission, and she hasn't got a single shred of agency in this matter at all. As far as I am concerned, that's the end of Finchel for me. If he's willing to break up with her on her wedding day and force her on a train against her will, I would not recommend that she EVER marry this controlling douchebag. He appears to be one who feels that the husband gets to make decisions without his wife's input, and that's setting off every alarm bell I have. No, of course I think it's better for Rachel to be on that train, but that's beside the point. She should be on that train because it's her dream, her will, her destiny, her passion, her life, her decision. She's an adult. She's supposed to be this incredibly driven, passionate woman who will stop at nothing to realize her dreams. Instead, she's a compliant little girl who gets sent off to school by wiser people who know what's best for her. I cannot tell you how offensive I found this whole schtick.

Meanwhile, Finn is going to join the army. OK. That's his decision. He got to make it on his own. Of course, I am not sure how Finn expects to redeem his father's mistakes by putting himself in harm's way, but the Army is a legitimate option for physically fit boys who aren't sure what to do with themselves after high school, and he may very well benefit from this. I think it would have been very nice of him to inform Rachel of this decision he's made before she's gotten her heart all set for her WEDDING DAY. I think telling her that he's joining the army, so she might as well go to school anyway, would have been vastly superior to the incredible betrayal he's pulled off here.

Of the important kids, Finn is the only one whom Brad allowed to have any power over his own life. Finn... and Santana, Brad's personal favorite character. Rachel's been turned into a helpless baby and Kurt's been tossed in the garbage. Well, this is Glee. It's sexist as hell, Finn routinely does underhanded, douchebag things dressed up to appear noble (see also Kissed a Girl) and women need men to make their decisions for them.

The only reason this scene works at all is because Lea and Cory both did an absolutely amazing job here. Cory has sold the conviction; Finn believes he is making a mammoth sacrifice for Rachel's best interests. It's really powerful, if you don't stop to reflect on why it's horribly, horribly sexist, controlling, dishonest, and wrong.

CelestialMystic

CelestialMystic

be urself n don't listen to Kim Kardashian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts

- NOAH PUCKERMAN, played by Mark Salling. May be here because it's the bridge and he has a moment when he does not have to sing lead. His family, whom we've actually seen, didn't come, either.

Actually, Puck's mom was there. I don't have the gif right now, but she was found in the crowd and even focused on.

Otherwise? Yeah, pretty much.

CLoveGlee

CLoveGlee

Recapping Fool

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts

POPULAR

Ok, thanks. I will go back and fix that.

OK, Rachel. You have just been horribly double-crossed by the man you thought you were going to marry. Let him have what he wants. Get out of the car. Oh, crud, are you even packed correctly to go to New York City? You weren't prepared for this. Stop crying... good god, this girl should not be CRYING as she heads to New York City. Oh, look, everybody is at the station. They are here to see you off. Do they know that Finn lied to you? Hug them goodbye... ah, there's Kurt. He's here to see you go off to fulfill the dream that's been denied him at the last possible moment. What is going to happen to him? He has no plan, no future, no hope, no resolution. Oh, who cares? He's just a supporting character. This is about YOU. I'm sure they will cobble together some new way to torture him next year and make him cry when you need your Best Gay sidekick to prop you up. Won't that be inspirational and entertaining?

Get on the train. Let go of Finn's hand. He thinks he's holding you back? Well, then, leave him behind. That's what he decided for you, so let it be so. Forever. Now, come out of Grand Central Station and look at where you are. You are in New York City now. Let's retcon this - Glee is good at that - and pretend you are here because this is what you wanted for yourself. Seize your destiny in this place and make it your life, your choice, your ambition, your faith in yourself and your desire that finally put you in the city of your dreams. You might just make it after all.

Is Rachel really the only thing in Glee that's important? Well, then let's just stay here. Santana is on her way, and despite the absolutely sadistic ending to his third season arc, we know Kurt almost certainly will be, as well. (God, if they make him be Will's assistant back in Lima so that they can keep some signs of life in that classroom, I swear I am turning this garbage off and I will never watch it again.) I am so mad at Soldier Boy right now, I don't care if he shows up or not, and I think she ought to Dear John his ass. (The book version, not the movie.) There's nothing left in that McKinley choir room that I have any real interest in ever seeing again. They've gutted it of everybody interesting and every shred of really impressive acting talent they had in the student cast. Let it be about Rachel, let Santana and Kurt catch up with her, and let it be here.

I have a list of links to every recap I've done for Glee Season Three here, if you would like to look any of them up or read them again. http://recappersdeli...ason-three.html

tanita_mors

tanita_mors

I am a sucker to be sucked in in this sucky reality.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
Brilliant work as always Clair.

Delight

Delight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Thanks for the recap. It's a great read, as usual.

I haven't felt the outrage you felt over Finn's one-sided decision to break up with Rachel.

I guess I'm too angry over Kurt's treatment on the show to feel much empathy towards Rachel.

Outcast

Outcast

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts
  • GFA '13: Best Writer
  • GFA '14: Biggest Mercedes Stan

And now... the scene that will live in infamy. One of the ten television scenes of my entire audience career that has made me the angriest. The debate is lively and we don't all agree, and that's OK, but this one scene just about destroyed the entire season for me, because it completely destroyed an important character who has been hanging by a thread of hope for several months.

I would love to know the other nine.

CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

and Santana, Brad's personal favorite character.

Somewhat questionable.

Particularly as she spent pretty much the whole year with no personal agency whatsoever, so I'm glad that finally turned around somewhat.

CLoveGlee

CLoveGlee

Recapping Fool

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts

Thanks for the recap. It's a great read, as usual.

I haven't felt the outrage you felt over Finn's one-sided decision to break up with Rachel.

I guess I'm too angry over Kurt's treatment on the show to feel much empathy towards Rachel.

No, no, it was his decision to trick Rachel. To lie to Rachl. To lead her to what she thinks is her wedding, instead of being honest with her.

Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts
  • GFA '12: Most (Glee) Knowledgeable
Wonderful work, Claire.
I don't know how you mustered the courage to recap this episode, thank you.

I was also so upset and angry at Kurt's fate that I hardly registered how offensive the set-up was for the Finchel break-up. The idea behind it was noble and good, and to a certain extent I can also justify Finn leaving Rachel no agency in getting on that train, because it can be argued that Rachel needed to be pushed in the right direction to cut the ropes that tied her down.
But misleading a girl on her wedding day....?

Oy, the lengths RIB will go to for a cheap shock effect.

Both deeds: Finn lying to Rachel about the wedding and Kurt getting the finger not getting into NYADA without any prelude or aftermath at all for him, were offensive.

Bah.

MaybeImAmazed

MaybeImAmazed

i don't suppose you could kiss my ass?

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,951 posts
  • GFA '13: Most Articulate
I'm not Finn's biggest fan, but I think he deserves more credit in this episode.

NOT "In My Life", though. Gosh, that was horrible!

theatregirl8

theatregirl8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I would love to know the other nine.

I would also be interested to see that list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids