Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

So only Rachel was allowed to be happy?!

• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

SofiaH

SofiaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

The thing is Rachel didn't deserve NYADA at all. She failed her audition and that should've been end of her storyline. But of course she would get a second chance. Apparently auditions doesn't matter at all. All Kurt had to do was stalk Carmen like Rachel did. Now unlike Rachel, Kurt won't have a second chance. We'll have to see him settle for something else.

So yes I do hate Rachel for this (I hated her before but this made it even worse). Rachel gets everything she wants even when she doesn't deserve it but Kurt as usual gets nothing.

They made Rachel screwed up her audition because they didn't want to make it seems it was easy. Rachel stalked Carmen lol so you are saying Rachel didn't give up. she sought her second chance she said she would have keeping audition until she gets in. so let's hate her for being persistent. If Kurt doesn't get a second chance it's because he doesn't seek one or he is going to pursue other dream. I'm sorry but Rachel and NYC are more endgame then Finchel in this show.

GleekyTori

GleekyTori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

But unintentionally Rachel's win did make Kurt's loss more bitter: they were both going for the same dream: Rachel got hers, and Kurt not, making it appear as if he lost out to Rachel, of all people, once again. That was stupid and unnecessary, and if RIB did this on purpose they are even worse writers than I thought them to be.
I am not angry at Rachel for this, on the contrary: she now has to go to New York alone.

This wasn't Rachel VS Kurt, so he didn't lose anything to her. This was Kurt VS NYADA. I didn't view it as him losing out to her because they both wanted to get into a program that only accepts 20 applicants. This wasn't a versus thing.

The thing is Rachel didn't deserve NYADA at all. She failed her audition and that should've been end of her storyline. But of course she would get a second chance. Apparently auditions doesn't matter at all. All Kurt had to do was stalk Carmen like Rachel did. Now unlike Rachel, Kurt won't have a second chance. We'll have to see him settle for something else.

So yes I do hate Rachel for this (I hated her before but this made it even worse). Rachel gets everything she wants even when she doesn't deserve it but Kurt as usual gets nothing.

The only way the statement "Rachel didn't deserve NYADA at all" would be valid if she failed her audition and Carmen never came to see her at nationals. However, Carmen did come see her shine at nationals and therefore she had a second chance. Maybe to say she didn't deserve a second chance would fit better (which I don't agree with).

MaybeImAmazed

MaybeImAmazed

i don't suppose you could kiss my ass?

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,117 posts
  • GFA '13: Most Articulate

This wasn't Rachel VS Kurt, so he didn't lose anything to her. This was Kurt VS NYADA. I didn't view it as him losing out to her because they both wanted to get into a program that only accepts 20 applicants. This wasn't a versus thing.

I think it's great that, for once, part of the fandom is not obsessed with pitying the characters against each other. But it's unrealistic to think that, just because they are BFFs of different genders, they were not competing with each other. As you say, there were only 20 spots for the whole country. What were the odds that they would pick two kids from not only the same town, but also the same school?

goofymickey

goofymickey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
You're forgetting that Rachel application stood up, like she told Tina last week - her grades are VERY high while being featured in plays and being involved in community theatre while being in 16 clubs (and im not sure what else goes in your application but we were told she's been winning talent shows since she was 2) - thats impressive! and thats probably why Carmen agreed to go to nationals in the end.
About it being realistic - I actually know someone with impressive grades that managed to switch majors (which is like reapplying where im from as there is no general studies) in the university a week before school started while the faculty had to convince the dean to open one more spot for him.
so while not being the same I do believe its possible if your application is so impressive, to be given another chance - and Rachel is supposed to be THAT impressive.

about kurt being first tier - he is still considered a supporting actor - when come awards season he'll be submitted for that award which should explain how RIB sees him. BTW, I absolutly love Chris Colfer and Kurt...

mardin

mardin

Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts
Rachel is meant for NYADA and eventually, Broadway. Everyone else were happy going places aside from Kurt and Finn who failed to get in their prospective schools. For me, Kurt should go in the field of fashion rather than theater, and I knew this since the first episode. Finn, well, he wanted to somehow join the army to redeem his father. This is holding him not to go to New York.

ry_kurtsie

ry_kurtsie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

The only way the statement "Rachel didn't deserve NYADA at all" would be valid if she failed her audition and Carmen never came to see her at nationals. However, Carmen did come see her shine at nationals and therefore she had a second chance. Maybe to say she didn't deserve a second chance would fit better (which I don't agree with).

Where is Kurt's second chance then?
Many kids probably choked in their audition where is their chance?
Only Rachel gets it because she always gets special treatment in this show.

GleekyTori

GleekyTori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I think it's great that, for once, part of the fandom is not obsessed with pitying the characters against each other. But it's unrealistic to think that, just because they are BFFs of different genders, they were not competing with each other. As you say, there were only 20 spots for the whole country. What were the odds that they would pick two kids from not only the same town, but also the same school?

This would be true if that was the reason I thought weren't competing. They weren't competing to me because this was Rachel VS NYADA and Kurt VS NYADA. There were 20 spots, not one spot they were both trying to get. That being said, the odds that they would pick two kids from the same town/school, etc. would probably very slim to none. However, it could happen and I honestly don't think this was supposed to be a Rachel OR Kurt thing. It's not uncommon for friends to apply to the same school/programs and only one of them is accepted. He didn't lose to Rachel, he lost to NYADA.

AnnaKate

AnnaKate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
I disagree that Kurt should have gotten in. He never deserved it because he's not good enough. Doesn't the school take a really low amount of new students each year? It is extremely selective. Kurt is simply not as talented as Rachel. And when applying to college the audition is only a piece of the decision. Their grades, activities, essays, and letters of recommendations are also taken into consideration. Rachel's whole package was probably really strong.

wirsig

wirsig

Advanced Member

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
Kurt lucked out even getting an audition with NYADA due to his thin resume.
Rachel lucked out getting another chance to audition.
I guess to reiterate Rachel does not get everything she wants and when she does it either comes at a price or is bitter sweet..

GleekyTori

GleekyTori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I don't know. Guess we will have to wait and see. To ask me such a question is rather silly, seeing how we don't know what he plans on doing next. And I don't know about the other kids who choked and that is irrelevant for this argument. We saw Rachel try, try and try again with Carmen. Did those other kids who choke do this? I don't know & I don't care. Not to be rude, but it's the truth. Rachel's second chance was given because she didn't give up. It's not about special treatment.

Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts
  • GFA '12: Most (Glee) Knowledgeable

Wasn't that exactly what I said?
I said they made it appear that Kurt lost out to Rachel, and that it was stupid of RIB to set it up that way.

Rachel fans are upset that Kurtsies might blame Rachel for Kurt not getting in. I'm not one of those Kurtsies.
I don't agree with Kurtsies who think that, although I can certainly understand why they are upset and that the way Rachel was front and center and getting special treatment these last few episodes is irritating them. And I agree with that, although I don't blame Rachel for that, but the writers.

As for those 20 spots: maybe RIB thinks that Rachel and Kurt are direct competition, but in RL they would not be: there is a fixed number for guys and girls in these sort of special classes. But of course: RIB might not know that or don't care.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I can't believe people find it acceptable that Kurt could possibly casually shrug off his passion (and again: season 3 made his passion for performing very clear) next season to go do something else. Would you have accepted if Rachel had done that?
A few episodes ago Rachel fans were in a rage that Rachel might settle for marrying Finn instead of trying to make it on Broadway without NYADA.
That logic should apply to Kurt too. But now it is already okay for him to give up performing because he supposedly isn't as passionate about it as Rachel, or as talented. But in canon he is, untill RIB of course give him a brain transplant starting season 4 and make him go into fashion. That is the most infuriating about all of this: not Kurt not getting into NYADA, but him probably skipping happily in New York next year, forgetting that he ever wanted to be a performer, and forgetting a whole season of kicks in the balls to make him want it even more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copying and pasting this from another thread, because it applies here as well:

I see it has already started: Kurt's passion and talent is getting questioned.
- He didn't want it as bad as Rachel,
- He is not as talented as he thought he was.

All season 3 was one big illusion of characters finding Kurt as talented as Rachel and Mercedes; one big delusion of Kurt thinking he wants to be a performer, silly boy; and one big disillusion for his faithful fans.

RIB have no idea how they destroyed Kurt's position on the show with this.

SofiaH

SofiaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

if he wants a second chance he needs to get out and get one just as Rachel did.
Many kids probably did better then Kurt and got rejected it's not Rachel problem if they gave up in their first try.
3 years later and people still like to pretend Rachel is not the lead character in the show. lol

mardin

mardin

Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

I guess to reiterate Rachel does not get everything she wants and when she does it either comes at a price or is bitter sweet..

You're not. :D

SofiaH

SofiaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

good point

GleekyTori

GleekyTori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Wasn't that exactly what I said?
I said they made it appear that Kurt lost out to Rachel, and that it was stupid of RIB to set it up that way.

Rachel fans are upset that Kurtsies might blame Rachel for Kurt not getting in. I'm not one of those Kurtsies.
I don't agree with Kurtsies who think that, although I can certainly understand why they are upset and that the way Rachel was front and center and getting special treatment these last few episodes is irritating them. And I agree with that, although I don't blame Rachel for that, but the writers.

Umm, I don't know if that is exactly what you said, to be honest lol But that is how I view it. To me, it didn't appear like that. That's how people are taking it. And I am not one of those Rachel fans that are upset about her taking the blame.

SofiaH

SofiaH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

I disagree that Kurt should have gotten in. He never deserved it because he's not good enough. Doesn't the school take a really low amount of new students each year? It is extremely selective. Kurt is simply not as talented as Rachel. And when applying to college the audition is only a piece of the decision. Their grades, activities, essays, and letters of recommendations are also taken into consideration. Rachel's whole package was probably really strong.

exactly

Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts
  • GFA '12: Most (Glee) Knowledgeable

And when did Mr. Schue and the other ND kids try to help Kurt with getting a better resume to enhance his chances for NYADA, like they explicitly did for Rachel at Nationals?

Oh right, that didn't happen.

ry_kurtsie

ry_kurtsie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Rachel lucked out getting an audition too, she was suspended and she was worried this would effect her chances.

I don't know. Guess we will have to wait and see. To ask me such a question is rather silly, seeing how we don't know what he plans on doing next. And I don't know about the other kids who choked and that is irrelevant for this argument. We saw Rachel try, try and try again with Carmen. Did those other kids who choke do this? I don't know & I don't care. Not to be rude, but it's the truth. Rachel's second chance was given because she didn't give up. It's not about special treatment.

Carmen normally doesn't give students a second chance. She kept asking for one and she got it. So yes she got special treatment.

RobtheGleek23

RobtheGleek23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

And when did Mr. Schue and the other ND kids try to help Kurt with getting a better resume to enhance his chances for NYADA, like they explicitly did for Rachel at Nationals?

They were competing as a group to win a national competition that they've been working towards for three seasons. How is that them "helping rachel out"?

Rachel Berry

Rachel Berry

Rise, shine and have a cup of coffee with me!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,531 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Articulate
  • GFA '13: Smartest
  • GFA '14: Best Singer

POPULAR

Let's not forget that Rachel eventually pulled out of the Class President race and asked people to vote for him at the assembly, let alone trying to stuff the ballot box for him, with the explicit goal of helping him bolster his resumé.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids