Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Rachel starting the Nyada Glee Club

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

harrypottergleeks

harrypottergleeks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Well the show is called Glee, and I was thinking this would be an interesting way to carry the "glee" theme on in a different way. this could also bring about a great many good storylines, such as rachel trying to get recruits, competition and such. I also thought it would be interesting if they actually competed against new directions at nationals, for although however far-fetched it might seem, it could be fun. Hell, the whole season could parallel Will in season one with rachel trying to get this glee club off the ground and coping with the fact that no one wants to join. that way, the show could still be about a glee club, but in a different setting. Thoughts?????

General Schuester

General Schuester

Captain of Team Will

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts

Well the show is called Glee, and I was thinking this would be an interesting way to carry the "glee" theme on in a different way. this could also bring about a great many good storylines, such as rachel trying to get recruits, competition and such. I also thought it would be interesting if they actually competed against new directions at nationals, for although however far-fetched it might seem, it could be fun. Hell, the whole season could parallel Will in season one with rachel trying to get this glee club off the ground and coping with the fact that no one wants to join. that way, the show could still be about a glee club, but in a different setting. Thoughts?????

Colleges dont have show choirs and glee club is for high schoolers only. You can't compete against colleges at the high school level. ultimately I defnitely dont think rachels calling is teaching. I think its purely Broadway. i can see finn taking over new directions when will plans on retiring

harrypottergleeks

harrypottergleeks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Colleges dont have show choirs and glee club is for high schoolers only. You can't compete against colleges at the high school level. ultimately I defnitely dont think rachels calling is teaching. I think its purely Broadway. i can see finn taking over new directions when will plans on retiring

thats why i said its far-fetched, and this is glee, so don't rule anything out ;). It could be totally made up. maybe kate hudson would be the advisor and rachel would just be the one who is getting people to join. Idk. it sounded fun...

Santana Lopez.

Santana Lopez.

11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013 ★

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
If it did happen. I can see them facing off against New Directions at Nationals or something. And then Rachel or Will pulls out because they can't go up against their friends. Something sappy like that.

Ellaria Sand

Ellaria Sand

Snake Charmer. The Serpent's Whore.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts

Colleges dont have show choirs and

Apparently, they do. And they have terrible names too!

http://www.showchoir...giate/index.htm

But I'm not from USA, so I don't know all the concepts, so, maybe I'm wrong.

glee club is for high schoolers only. You can't compete against colleges at the high school level. ultimately I defnitely dont think rachels calling is teaching. I think its purely Broadway. i can see finn taking over new directions when will plans on retiring

I'm not completely sure, but I think many USA colleges DO have glee clubs. I quick search, Harvard does have a glee club, that while is only male and very traditional with the songs, also have a Glee Club 'Lite', where they perform pop and more contemporary songs. (and they are very very Dalton-ian). Yale already accepts women and have an all-female Glee Club. So, it wouldn't be THAT odd that Nyada already has a Glee Club and they compete to each other.

Note: I like glee clubs, but I like my Tunas better: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Tuna_(music)

WarblerWes

WarblerWes

Fearlessly and forever

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • GFA '13: Friendliest
Colleges may have show choirs, but if they competed it would be against other colleges, not high schools. All of the teams we've seen competing against McKinley in three seasons have been high school teams as well.

Also, even if they were competing against other colleges, wouldn't NYADA having a show choir made up of the best musical theatre students in the country be kinda...unfair?? They would win it every year surely!

Ellaria Sand

Ellaria Sand

Snake Charmer. The Serpent's Whore.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts

Also, even if they were competing against other colleges, wouldn't NYADA having a show choir made up of the best musical theatre students in the country be kinda...unfair?? They would win it every year surely!

If they have, they never mentioned at all. Perhaps RIB didn't thing about it, but also, before Emma talking about it, Rachel and Kurt did not even have any idea that Nyada existed.

...or perhaps there is something 'wrong' with their Glee Club and Rachel is there to fix it...

lightningpr0ductions

lightningpr0ductions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
There are definitely show choirs/glee clubs in colleges. Not a big amount, but there are. In fact, the show choir Ryan Murphy was in was at his college, so there you go. Plus, Jesse went to college to study show choir, so I'm pretty sure that the actual school there would have a show choir. Also, in the real world, I think the college-level show choirs don't compete against the high school-level show choirs. Hmmm. I don't know, I'm just guessing. But it's Glee. They could easily make it so that the high school choirs compete against college-level choirs. There isn't that much of a difference. I mean, in both settings (high school and college), show choir is treated as an extracurricular activity, so I'm pretty sure the same amount of time is devoted to the high school choirs and college choirs.

ShamelessHussy

ShamelessHussy

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts
  • GFA '13: Most Profound

POPULAR

God, I hope they don't go with a choir storyline for any of the grads! I'm soooooooo over competitions on Glee. They could be an exciting plot around which to compose the show but they've become totally anti-climactic and shoved into episodes with 8 other SL's going on.....

I suppose this is a minority opinion but I think in order to reinvigorate itself, Glee should gradually drop McKinley and become a musical show about trying to get into show biz. That way, the two locations could become NYC & LA.

lightningpr0ductions

lightningpr0ductions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

God, I hope they don't go with a choir storyline for any of the grads! I'm soooooooo over competitions on Glee. They could be an exciting plot around which to compose the show but they've become totally anti-climactic and shoved into episodes with 8 other SL's going on.....

I suppose this is a minority opinion but I think in order to reinvigorate itself, Glee should gradually drop McKinley and become a musical show about trying to get into show biz. That way, the two locations could become NYC & LA.

It's obviously too late to turn it into a spin-off with that as the show basis, but yes, that is basically the idea I had for what the show would be post season 3.

WarblerWes

WarblerWes

Fearlessly and forever

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Honestly I don't think this is a minority opinion at all. I think they should have done this or continue with the focus on McKinley. They've tried to do both, at the expense of exploring either idea properly.

I would much rather see the focus on the graduates as there are new stories to be told there. Unfortunately, a couple of my favourite characters are going to be trapped in the dull, stale McKinely sub-show. :(

Regan

Regan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

If they drop McKinley, I'd say that New York would become their only location. They can have NYADA, auditions and work on musicals, plays, commercials, TV shows, etc without the expense and hassle of a second location.

ShamelessHussy

ShamelessHussy

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

If they drop McKinley, I'd say that New York would become their only location. They can have NYADA, auditions and work on musicals, plays, commercials, TV shows, etc without the expense and hassle of a second location.

I just really enjoyed the character, Cooper Anderson and wouldn't mind seeing him again occasionally with maybe Santana, Puck or Finn sharing an apartment with him in LA and trying to get gigs.......... 'Cause having hungry for fame Santana moving to NY with her fistful of money makes no sense.

WarblerWes

WarblerWes

Fearlessly and forever

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

I just really enjoyed the character, Cooper Anderson and wouldn't mind seeing him again occasionally with maybe Santana, Puck or Finn sharing an apartment with him in LA and trying to get gigs.......... 'Cause having hungry for fame Santana moving to NY with her fistful of money makes no sense.

As much as I would love to see this, its just not gonna happen since Matt Boomer is too busy with White Collar and other projects. Hopefully Cooper will show up for Blaine's graduation though.

I have to agree with Regan that they should go with New York only. Sure, Santana along with Mercedes in LA might make more sense but this is Glee. And there are plenty of opportunities in NY anyway: if you can make it there... Plus the practicalities of only having one location, fewer sets etc.

I just don't see them introducing as NYADA show choir, also for budget and storytelling reasons. It would just be too unwieldy and chaotic to throw in a whole new choir when the show is already so crowded.

Regan

Regan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Do they need a Glee club? Performing will presumably be a major part of the curriculum so wouldn't they be performing solos, duets, group numbers, dances, monologues, etc, all the time?

The only thing they wouldn't be doing would be competitions and it'd be silly to have two sets of competitions shown next season but very unfair to pit high school show choirs against a show choir made up of students from an exceptionally selective performing arts college.

tschandler71

tschandler71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
For some reason I see Puck eventually being a teacher/coach.

ShamelessHussy

ShamelessHussy

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts

For some reason I see Puck eventually being a teacher/coach.

Teaching in the US, requires quite a bit of higher education and certification. I'm not sure about coaching. That might vary a bit depending on the age of the team/school district. I do remember Coach Beiste mentioning college though and Coach Roz is an Olympic champion.

Phylos

Phylos

PhyloS

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,270 posts
  • GFA '12: Smartest
NYADA is Broadway and while there might be choirs in it, it would just be redundant.

Marley Puckerman

Marley Puckerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Colleges may have show choirs, but if they competed it would be against other colleges, not high schools. All of the teams we've seen competing against McKinley in three seasons have been high school teams as well.

Not all the time. Remember in season 2 Sectionals when New Directions went up against that show choir with all those old people? The Hipsters, I think it was called?

WarblerWes

WarblerWes

Fearlessly and forever

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Not all the time. Remember in season 2 Sectionals when New Directions went up against that show choir with all those old people? The Hipsters, I think it was called?

You're totally right, how could I forget The Hipsters after their performance made such an impression on Puck? :) Although, weren't those people who were studying for their high school equivalency (or whatever its called in the US)?

Anyway, I do think it would be a bit...silly for NYADA to turn out to have a show choir which would be competing against ND. But by no means does that mean it won't happen! And it probably wouldn't even be the silliest thing to happen on this show...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids