Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Is Wade a transgender girl or a boy who likes to dress as a girl?

Wade Unique

32 replies to this topic

Poll: So what's Unique? (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Wade transgender or a cross dresser?

1. Voted a transgender girl (25 votes [47.17%])

Percentage of vote: 47.17%

2. a cross dresser (15 votes [28.30%])

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

3. kinky (1 votes [1.89%])

Percentage of vote: 1.89%

4. Someone I want to be besties with! (4 votes [7.55%])

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

5. I don't care. (8 votes [15.09%])

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

Does it matter?

1. Voted No. (31 votes [58.49%])

Percentage of vote: 58.49%

2. Yes. (21 votes [39.62%])

Percentage of vote: 39.62%

3. Something else that I'll explain. (1 votes [1.89%])

Percentage of vote: 1.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

ShamelessHussy

ShamelessHussy

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,131 posts
  • GFA '13: Most Profound

I've been firmly of the thought that the character Wade Adams is a transgender girl. That she feels her soul and gender identity are female and that she was born in the "wrong" body. And Unique is the name she choose for herself as a child who knew they were different.

BUT, there is quite a case for Wade being a cross dresser. In Nationals, Wade acted like a man preparing to do a performance as a drag persona. And again in yesterday's episode, it wasn't entirely clear if Wade identifies as a girl or simply wants to present as one sometimes.

Self-identified cross-dressers generally do not have fetishistic intentions,but are instead men who wear female clothing and often both admire and imitate women.

There was Kitty's crack about Wade being pre-surgery. But that's the viewpoint of another character. How does Wade/Unique see themselves? What do you think?

rosethorne

rosethorne

Disney Prince <3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
I think she is a transgender girl.

I think the pre-Nationals jitters and the Wade persona interacting with KurtCedes was intentionally framed as Unique having doubts if she is actually able to go out there, take the stage, and show everyone the real her. But yes, to be honest, before yesterday's episode, I was a bit unclear if Wade is just dressing in drag or what.

But this episode cleared it for me that Unique identifies as a girl. In the scene wherein the ND kids were pressuring her to remove her make-up and look like Wade, she showed great reluctance before she eventually agreed - but nor before saying "I'll go take off my face". For me, that line really defined the how she viewed herself. There she was, in a new and most probably hostile environment, still trying to somehow fit in (wearing a simple unisex shirt) with society's view of what is 'normal' - but she felt brave enough to show her true self in the form of make-up. So when the ND kids asked her to remove it, for her, it wasn't simply removing cosmetics - it was literally them asking her to erase herself (Unique) and to go back pretending to be Wade. In addition, when Artie declared Blaine the new Rachel, Unique pretty much described herself as a "strong, black woman".

However, one thing that's making me scratch my head is Unique's propensity of addressing herself in the 3rd person. Like, I can count 3 separate instances wherein she addressed herself as Unique and not I: her warning to Blaine that 'Unique will be the new Rachel', her announcement that 'Unique offers her greetings and salutations' in the lunchroom before ND scolds her for wearing make-up, and lastly, when she was slushied, she exclaimed that 'Unique's eyes...they are on fire!'

ShamelessHussy

ShamelessHussy

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,131 posts
  • GFA '13: Most Profound

However, one thing that's making me scratch my head is Unique's propensity of addressing herself in the 3rd person. Like, I can count 3 separate instances wherein she addressed herself as Unique and not I: her warning to Blaine that 'Unique will be the new Rachel', her announcement that 'Unique offers her greetings and salutations' in the lunchroom before ND scolds her for wearing make-up, and lastly, when she was slushied, she exclaimed that 'Unique's eyes...they are on fire!'

That's where it's really throwing me and making me feel sometimes that Unique is a separate drag persona of Wade's. "Cause I totally want to be girlfriends with Unique! We'd go off to power our noses together and I'd love to go to The Lima Bean with her for a good gossip after school. We'd not only be supportive of one another, if I had guy troubles, I feel like she'd go and knock him over and step on him!

#1 Rachel Fan

#1 Rachel Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

I've been firmly of the thought that the character Wade Adams is a transgender girl. That she feels her soul and gender identity are female and that she was born in the "wrong" body. And Unique is the name she choose for herself as a child

This Is true. When Wade first introduced him/herself to Kurt and Mercedes he told them that he identified himself as a girl.
However (and correct me if I'm worng), but I was under the impression that the term transgender only refered to those that had started taking steps towards surgery or whom had already had it.
If not then Wade "Unique" is definitly transgender

Guest_Stephanie

Guest_Stephanie
  • Guests

However (and correct me if I'm worng), but I was under the impression that the term transgender only refered to those that had started taking steps towards surgery or whom had already had it.

Nope, transgender merely refers to a person who believes they were born with the wrong sex and identify themselves as the opposite gender.
Some transgender people never have surgery, and live as the opposite gender whilst retaining the sexual organs they were born with.

#1 Rachel Fan

#1 Rachel Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Nope, transgender merely refers to a person who believes they were born with the wrong sex and identify themselves as the opposite gender.
Some transgender people never have surgery, and live as the opposite gender whilst retaining the sexual organs they were born with.

Okay, Thank you.
Now we know that Unique is definitly transgender, according to her statements in season 3
I absolutley love his character and am glad that she has left Vocal Adrenaline and joined new Directions

Fede

Fede

Rest in peace, Cory.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
He refers to himself as a strong black woman, doesn't he? And when they tell him to not go around school in a make-up, he says "Ok-I'll go take off my face", implying it's his true face (or whatever).

Ellaria Sand

Ellaria Sand

Snake Charmer. The Serpent's Whore.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts
It's not only that he's transgender, but also, Unique is her "strong" personality. Is not that she has double personality, I mean that is not only that Unique is a female-Wade, Unique is a whole different personality that protects Wade. I kinda like that and I'm sure she's going to be in the position where Wade will have to face something without her. That would be interesting.

The Big Berry

The Big Berry

Bigger than before!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
Crossdresser. He didn't perform a transgender surgery. I'm not sure if you have to perform the surgery to be transgendered, but at least in my world, yes. He wasn't referenced or mentioned having a transgender surgery.

So he's just a boy who has a girly personality, gives himself a girl name, a girl identity, a girl look/clothes/image, but it still makes him a boy.

P.s.: Unique is a girl. Unique is Wade's alter-ego. Unique is part of Wade. Wade transforms into Unique. (the boy transforms into the girl) And Wade can choose whenever he wants to be Unique.

Guest_Stephanie

Guest_Stephanie
  • Guests

POPULAR

As I said above, no you don't need surgery to be considered transgender.

And if you have had surgery, you are not "transgender" anyway. You are merely your own gender.

BowtieBlaine

BowtieBlaine

i love u forever, my strange tiny doe-eyed pervert

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,842 posts
  • GFA '12: Biggest Character Stan
  • GFA '14: Biggest Blaine Stan

Crossdresser. He didn't perform a transgender surgery. I'm not sure if you have to perform the surgery to be transgendered, but at least in my world, yes. He wasn't referenced or mentioned having a transgender surgery.

So he's just a boy who has a girly personality, gives himself a girl name, a girl identity, a girl look/clothes/image, but it still makes him a boy.

P.s.: Unique is a girl. Unique is Wade's alter-ego. Unique is part of Wade. Wade transforms into Unique. (the boy transforms into the girl) And Wade can choose whenever he wants to be Unique.

This is so directly wrong and misinformed on so many levels that I don't even know where to begin.

The Big Berry

The Big Berry

Bigger than before!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

This is so directly wrong and misinformed on so many levels that I don't even know where to begin.

Oops sorry. Just pure IMO.

And I like Unique - no matter if she is transgender or crossdresser. She is a great character. Don't understand the hate.

BowtieBlaine

BowtieBlaine

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,842 posts

Oops sorry. Just pure IMO.

You can't have an opinion that's opposite of facts. That's just being wrong, isn't it.
(I can't say "Oh, Toronto's the capital of Canada. Just pure IMO.")

You seem to have no idea what it means to be transgender. It has nothing to do with surgery.

It's, like Stephanie said, about gender identity. Being born as the wrong sex biologically, and identifying with the opposite sex.
If you were to have surgery, you'd just be that gender/sex, not transgender - so it's exactly the opposite of what you said. Lol.

The Big Berry

The Big Berry

Bigger than before!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

It's, like Stephanie said, about gender identity. Being born as the wrong sex biologically, and identifying with the opposite sex.
If you were to have surgery, you'd just be that gender/sex, not transgender - so it's exactly the opposite of what you said. Lol.

Is that clearly stated on the show? I don't even think we know if Wade defines himself as Wade or Unique. Is Wade being born as the wrong sex biologically? We don't know that do we.

Guest_Stephanie

Guest_Stephanie
  • Guests

Is that clearly stated on the show? I don't even think we know if Wade defines himself as Wade or Unique. Is Wade being born as the wrong sex biologically? We don't know that do we.

Pretty sure he was referring to the fact that you said "in my world" you need to have surgery to be considered transgender.
How Unique views herself is still up for debate.

The Big Berry

The Big Berry

Bigger than before!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Pretty sure he was referring to the fact that you said "in my world" you need to have surgery to be considered transgender.
How Unique views herself is still up for debate.

Which is why I think Wade/Unique is an interesting character. There's still so much room to explore!
Alex may not be a brilliant actor, but this role is magnificent.

Quinn Fabray

Quinn Fabray

Good-bye, Cory.

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts
I assumed she's MTF. She refers to herself as a woman, views wearing the make-up as her true face, and I got the impression she was only dressed as Wade at the beginning because it was her first day at a new school.

Perhaps she's more comortable referring to herself in the third person.

Panda Express

Panda Express

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts
She refers to herself as a woman, that says it all doesn't it?

Ellaria Sand

Ellaria Sand

Snake Charmer. The Serpent's Whore.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Not completely, because we still don't know everything about Wade and that's the whole point of his/her story. You don't need to identify yourself as a woman (for a man) to like dressing like one and definitely you don't even need to be gay (although Wade seems like he is indeed gay). Also, consider that Wade calls Unique "her" or "she" but I don't remember whether he does the same about himself as Wade.

Wade's case is interesting because is not only that he created Unique as a female version of him, he did something that is not exclusive to transgenders: Unique's attitude is the one who, let's say, take the Slushies instead of Wade. Wade is shy and even a bit clumsy when he's Wade while Unique isn't. I think we need to wait for his/her story to develop because human sexual behavior is too complicated to be defined by "you are transgender", "you are not".

BowtieBlaine

BowtieBlaine

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,842 posts

Not completely, because we still don't know everything about Wade and that's the whole point of his/her story. You don't need to identify yourself as a woman (for a man) to like dressing like one and definitely you don't even need to be gay (although Wade seems like he is indeed gay). Also, consider that Wade calls Unique "her" or "she" but I don't remember whether he does the same about himself as Wade.

Wade's case is interesting because is not only that he created Unique as a female version of him, he did something that is not exclusive to transgenders: Unique's attitude is the one who, let's say, take the Slushies instead of Wade. Wade is shy and even a bit clumsy when he's Wade while Unique isn't. I think we need to wait for his/her story to develop because human sexual behavior is too complicated to be defined by "you are transgender", "you are not".

I wasn't talking about Wade.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wade, Unique

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids