Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

Fox Viewer Panel

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

MaybeImAmazed

MaybeImAmazed

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,954 posts
  • GFA '13: Most Articulate

Wait, did I miss it? Can I still do it?

I'm not sure how I feel about this, to be honest. This fandom is horribly entitled. I cringe just thinking about what might have been sent.

Beck

Beck

loads of lovin

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,133 posts
  • GFA '13: Best Username
*also said that while i like blaines development as a character this season id like it if he sang a bit less (as in not basically every episode) giving others a chance to sing a bit more

Natsky

Natsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Wait, did I miss it? Can I still do it?

I'm not sure how I feel about this, to be honest. This fandom is horribly entitled. I cringe just thinking about what might have been sent.

I am hoping that Fox can tell the difference between the different shippers trying to sway it in their favour and those who really don't care about ships and actually watch the show for the characters and storylines.

However there is a question that says "You watch Glee for?" and one of the answers is "for the relationships" so hopefully if they answer with that they can tell. I do think if Fox wanted a more unbiased opinion they would have done a screen test type thing with random people off the street then an online survey.

MaybeImAmazed

MaybeImAmazed

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,954 posts
  • GFA '13: Most Articulate
Shippers are just part of the problem.

Whenever the fandom (mind you that I'm speaking in a very broad sense here, not including or excluding any group in particular) is unhappy with some aspects of the show, they act as if they know how to write it better. Fact is, they don't. Trying to please everyone is one the biggest mistakes a show can make and that's particularly worrying as far as Glee is concerned. It's amazing how many people claim to watch it for one reason only and despise all the rest. Finding a gleek who has more than two or three interests within the universe of the show is so rare. More than any other piece of entertainment I've ever been involved with.

Prince Franny

Prince Franny

how u

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,175 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
  • GFA '13: Most Perverted

Whenever the fandom (mind you that I'm speaking in a very broad sense here, not including or excluding any group in particular) is unhappy with some aspects of the show, they act as if they know how to write it better. Fact is, they don't. Trying to please everyone is one the biggest mistakes a show can make and that's particularly worrying as far as Glee is concerned. It's amazing how many people claim to watch it for one reason only and despise all the rest. Finding a gleek who has more than two or three interests within the universe of the show is so rare. More than any other piece of entertainment I've ever been involved with.

Have you read my Klaine fanfic it was way better than the show ;(

AgeOfAquarius

AgeOfAquarius

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,292 posts
  • GFA '13: Most (Glee) Knowledgeable
  • GFA '14: Most (Glee) Knowledgeable
The survey is only one way they get information. They can see people's comments on the Glee Facebook page and twitter, as well. And they may do test screenings with live audiences. Marketing people are trained to recognize trends and red flags and things that may indicate bias. The thing is, the people who sit through the process of this survey are either going to be people who love filling out surveys, Focus on the Family and One Million Mom types who hate Glee and want it off the air (did you see those questions about "The show is sometimes inappropriate" and "This is a show I can watch with my family"?), and dedicated fans. Also, I'm one of the people that does watch the show for romantic relationships. It's not the ONLY reason I watch it (which was made quite clear by my other answers) but I do watch it in part for that. I don't think my answers should be discounted because that's one of the reasons I watch the show.

As for my answers I wrote an essay about Blaine and how much I love his storyline this season and that he's getting development. I also said that I was enjoying Kurt's storyline though I'd like see more of his actual experience in NY, not just having scenes with Rachel all the time. I'm glad to see several people saying that they wanted to see the NY side filled out more. That was one of the things I wrote about. I love that side of the but I would love it more if it was more vibrant, had more going on, and was more fun, like the kiki in the last episode. NY is this huge, vibrant, crazy, city and we only ever see the loft, the NYADA dance studio, and occasionally Vogue. Also there should be more characters than just Kurt, Rachel, and Brody with occasional Cassandra and Isabelle. I brought up Santana in that context because I think she could really liven up the NY side.

Natsky

Natsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

See I used to just love Finchel, Finn and Rachel. Now I like the storylines (mainly NY), the characters (mainly Kurt, Rachel, Finn and Santana) and I like the little tidbits of relationships that are currently being shown. I don't watch specifically for one certain reason anymore. Though I know there are shippers (not including or excluding any group in particular) who watch the show for multiple reasons.

Allison Argent

Allison Argent

I'm here to save my best friend

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,155 posts
  • GFA '14: Biggest Kurt Stan

Have you read my Klaine fanfic it was way better than the show ;(

It was a masterpiece ;( ;( I cried

sinnfb

sinnfb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,031 posts

This is why I avoided to metion anything related to shipping or getting way too negative about something. In fact, I made it very clear that what I want to see more are friendships, less relationship drama and more episodes with comedy but with a few touching moments (like Dynamic Duets). I tried to focus more on what I like and think it's working than what I don't like.

Natsky

Natsky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

This is why I avoided to metion anything related to shipping or getting way to negative about something. In fact, I made it very clear that what I want to see more are friendships, less relationship drama and more episode with comedy but with a few touching moments (like Dynamic Duets). I tried to focus more on what I like and think it's working than what I don't like.

I mentioned that I liked Finchel but straight after that I mentioned that what they were doing with them this season was really good and I didn't mind them apart...However I felt that Rachel's NY storyline should be a little bigger and a little better...

CLoveGlee

CLoveGlee

Recapping Fool

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Writer

Thanks for starting this discussion.

I know this isn't popular opinion, but I really don't like the newbies. They feel like watered down Originals.

I basically said that Glee feels depressing now, and I miss the Grads. Other than that, it was mostly positive. I also kept out my character and ship preferences. I tried to think like a GA.

ETA: here's my question. I wonder why they are doing this now? To see where the direction of the show is going?

Theory. I think they are basically trying to figure out if the split narrative with the newbies vs. New York is working. I took the survey, and I was very honest in my opinion that I prefer the original characters and think the new characters to be shallow retreads of the originals.

Rachel Hudson

Rachel Hudson

I love you, Cory.

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,767 posts
  • GFA '12: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '13: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '14: Best Writer
What's the link to do it?

CLoveGlee

CLoveGlee

Recapping Fool

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Writer
It's over.

rosario

rosario

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts
What I commented on the survey is that I thought the newbies SL's so far to me weren't all that compelling. I mentioned I wanted focus on the other characters such as grads and Artie and Tina. I mentioned how I find Rachel and Kurt's SL also lacking.

I doubt Fox will go with only the results of an online survey, like others have said they have other marketing/polling tools available, but I do think it indicates what I've speculated previously, that nothing is written in stone about the show's format and how invested they are in keeping things the way they are. FOX isn't quite sure what to do, as they constantly try to market the grads , older students and Rachel and Kurt in promotions/previews. (Even this week there is only a split second screentime given to the newbies while I'm sure the actual SL is going to focus alot on them)

If the show is going to do any rebooting at all I'm guessing it would come after episode 12 or 13, since I would think the others scripts were already in the can.

It's a double edged sword in regards to fandom, they don't keep a show alive by themselves but they are used as a barometer and a bouncing board. While I agree that a good show shouldn't cater to fandom I think with the start of season 2 in cynical way Glee has done that at times so IMO the PTB speak from both sides of their mouth when they claim they aren't beholding to them.

KlaineKalanai

KlaineKalanai

I have a theory that it's a demon.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
Wow, that was a pretty quick turnaround.

I know it's not going to happen, but I am REALLY interested in the outcome of this survey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids