Bring Him Home

40 replies to this topic

Stefan Salvatore

Stefan Salvatore

Bells to be rung and a wonderful spring to be sprung

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts
Which version of the song did you prefer? Kurt's or Rachel's?

Song Bird

Song Bird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Rachel's version was better for me. It was more emotions.

Beck

Beck

distracting me

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,613 posts
  • GFA '13: Best Username
rachel sounded better, but i think kurt performed more emotionally

Song Bird

Song Bird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i don't know, Kurt was to passive for me in this song, no facial expresion, nothing.

DCD

DCD

Oh I wish that I was Jessie's Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
Kurt. There's no comparison - Chris brings not only his fabulous and unique voice, but also captures the emotions perfectly. There's a reason his version moved me to tears when I was listening to the solo versions, whereas I zoned out of Lea's

Sam Evans

Sam Evans

counting to fifteen

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 51,382 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Gay
  • GFA '13: Favorite Mod/Admin
  • GFA '14: Biggest Sam Stan
  • GFA '15: Most Perverted

POPULAR

Kurt brought more of the raw emotion the song needs, IMO. Rachel's, while perhaps technically better, didn't have the same feeling to me, it almost felt detached.

AoiTsukikage

AoiTsukikage

believe that you're unstoppable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,853 posts
It depends what you're basing it on. If we're going by the original emotional interpretation of the song, definitely Kurt. It's not an angry song, it's a heartfelt prayer in a literal life-and-death situation and even though Brody gave the whole 'you must stay on-tune' speech, it's an easy song to get lost in the emotion of and I think Kurt accomplished that while still hitting every note. Rachel technically was flawless, but in doing so she lost some of the subtleties of the song and her performance was a little forceful and demanding as opposed to pleading and vulnerable, and that to me made all the difference i come from a very biased background with Les Mis, though, so I have no idea how somebody who doesn't know what the song is about/the situation it's sung in would interpret the performances).

jaymcb

jaymcb

"Now they are all looking for a Lea Michele type"

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,447 posts
  • From the Top: Member Since 2009
I thought they both had emotion but thought Kurt did push it a little more towards the end.

But in the end I just prefer Rachel's voice but appreciate both of their efforts.

ShamelessHussy

ShamelessHussy

Advanced Member

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,988 posts
  • GFA '13: Most Profound
I didn't feel either nailed it. This is the song of a mature man. And it loses almost everything without being seen in situ within the musical. But I feel like Rachel brought emotion but not quite the right ones. Kurt with his angelic voice and youthful face brought forth the prayer elements of the song well. Even though both the arrangements of the music and who got what portions onscreen favored their star, Lea Michele. This is another one of those cases where Glee expects you to buy who "won" because they said so even though they didn't want the audience to feel Rachel Berry, voice of the century, lost. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

sinnfb

sinnfb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,035 posts
It was another Defying Gravity situation for me: I realize Lea's version might be technically better but I liked Chris' version better.

DETtor09

DETtor09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts
Rachel's.

Maserati777

Maserati777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
Rachel's

It's strange I didn't like either solo version of Defying Gravity, I thought the duet version showed each characters strengths, but I didn't like the duet version of this song, I think it's better as a solo.

Quinn Fabray

Quinn Fabray

Good-bye, Cory.

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts
I wasn't all that fond of either, because it loses almost all of its meaning if sung out of context, plus the arrangement/key change didn't appeal to me at all. But I guess I would say Rachel's technically, but Kurt's had the emotions of the song better.

opals

opals

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Kurt's. Rachel/Lea is a wonderful technician, but she tends to overpower and literally belt a song into submission too often for my taste. This song didn't need that. If I was judging solely by glory notes, then Rachel, but for overall effect Kurt wins this one for me.

Cadiva

Cadiva

Smurfette

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • GFA '14: Mod Spotlight

Which version of the song did you prefer? Kurt's or Rachel's?

Kurt's performance by a significant margin. Rachel nailed the song vocally but her performance, for me, had absolutely nothing of the song itself to it. This is Valjean pleading to his God to take his life instead of Marius' so that the younger man can come home to his adopted daughter Cosette and give them a future so she doesn't have to suffer the same fate as her mother did. Valjean knows he's clawed himself a second chance of life but he also knows it's a tenuous hold and he's willing to give it all up so that Marius will be safe. The song is so emotionally powerful not just a vocal powerhouse performance and that's why, for me, Kurt got it right and Rachel just "sang" it.

AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia

fearlessly and forever...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts
They were both extremely good,after all it's Chris and Lea.But she was too forceful and it didn't feel like a prayer,although technically I have no complaints.Chris's version had more of a build up and the emotions in the end were spot on,so his version was slightly better.

Redav

Redav

LOUDER THAN A CANNONBALL!!!

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,492 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Perverted
Rachel's

JeSsKa

JeSsKa

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,259 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
  • GFA '13: Craziest
Colm Wilkinson's.

rosario

rosario

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts
Both were better than Hugh Jackman.

Stefan Salvatore

Stefan Salvatore

Bells to be rung and a wonderful spring to be sprung

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Both were better than Hugh Jackman.

I think Hugh Jackman did pretty good with this song. He put so much emotion in his singing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users