Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

No wonder I'm crazy! This just solves it all ♥

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,049 posts
  • GFA '14: Biggest Brittany and Santana Stan
  • GFA '15: Best Friendship: Karina & Valerie

This is a thread for tennis discussion :)

Wimbledon 2014 started today. This year massively overshadowed by the World Cup football, but still one of the biggest sport events in the world nevertheless!

And I happen to be a massive tennis fan ;(

I don't know if anyone on the forum is even remotely interested in tennis, but in case there are people following it a bit; I added a poll for Wimbledon with the top 10 ranked players!  Who do you think is going to win this year?? :)

Bd123

Bd123

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts
  • GFA '14: Friendliest
  • GFA '15: Friendliest

I LOVE tennis! I voted for Djokovic but I think Nadal and Murray are right up there. And I agree with BlainesEyes that you can never count Federer out.

For the women's I voted Jankovic but I don't follow the women's field as closely.

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,049 posts

My absolute favorite player since forever is Raffffaaaaaaaaaaaa ;(   Seriously, I have been in love with him since I was 12 and he was 15 and no one knew who he was  :queen:  :queen:  :queen:

tumblr_n7kyxipoZi1r7iasjo9_400.gif  tumblr_n7kyxipoZi1r7iasjo4_400.gif

He is my choice number 1 because I really want him to break the record of most Grand Slams. Right now Federer has it with 17 Slams and Rafa already has 14, so it's definitely possible ;(   :wub:

If Rafa doesn't win, I definitely support Andy Murray!   Loved it last year when he could give the Brits that loooooooooooooooooonnnggg awaited British win!   Would be epic if he could repeat it!

I actually love women's tennis as well. Not as much as a few years ago, when the Belgian girls were still the best in the world,  though. I was a MASSIVE Kim Clijsters fan. No but really, think of how much I stan Naya Rivera and multiply it by a thousand or something, that's how much I loved and stanned Kim Clijsters ;( :wub:   Now that she retired my interest for women's tennis has also declined a bit, but I still follow it!  

Serena Williams is going to be really eager to win after her early upset at Roland Garros!   But Kvitova is soooooo good on grass, so idk :)  Women's tennis is also much more surprising lately, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see someone out of the top 10 take the title!

Bd123

Bd123

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts

I love Rafa. (are there people who don't like him?) I was never a big fan of Pete Sampras so I would be happy if Rafa beat his record. I also think he will eventually beat Federer's record.

I liked Kim Clijsters a lot. When she came out of retirement and won the US Open in 2009 less than 2 years after having a baby was one of two times I cried watching tennis. (the other was Andre Agassi's speech after his final match at the US Open).

Lydia Martin

Lydia Martin

I do, I do still love you. ♥

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • GFA '15: Mod Spotlight

Rafa.  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:

7101.jpg

I hope he wins.  ;(

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,049 posts

I liked Kim Clijsters a lot. When she came out of retirement and won the US Open in 2009 less than 2 years after having a baby was one of two times I cried watching tennis. (the other was Andre Agassi's speech after his final match at the US Open).

Yesyes, my most beautiful sport's memory ever ;(   I cried forever ;(   Is truly an epic moment in women's tennis history. Not only was it less than 2 years after having a baby, it was only her second tournament back out of retirement!

:wub:

tumblr_m9k8o7igrq1r08x2no1_250.gif  tumblr_m9k8o7igrq1r08x2no3_250.gif

KittyCat

KittyCat

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  • GFA '14: Mod Spotlight

Yeah! Glad to see there are other tennis fans here. It is my favorite sport.  :wub: I have been a huge fan for 20+ years. Stefan Edberg is my all-time favorite. Sentimentally I have to pull for Roger especially with Stefan as his coach. However, I usually end up pulling for Rafa in most grand slams. Last year, I pulled for Andy for obvious reasons. I wanted him (and England) to get that monkey off his back. (I always felt sorry for Tim Henman during Wimbledon.) 

On the women's side, I have to go with Serena. Who knows how much longer she will play. Behind her, I am cheering for Halep. She is my new favorite player after her performance in the French Open final. 

I voted who I wanted to win. 

Caroline Forbes

Caroline Forbes

"I love you" "I know"

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

I love tennis.I'm not very familiar with the rules,but I love to watch. :) I'm rooting for Grigor Dimitrov,obviously (he already won his first match :clap: ),but if I have to pick favorite from the others-maybe Djokovic.

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,049 posts

I love tennis.I'm not very familiar with the rules,but I love to watch. :) I'm rooting for Grigor Dimitrov,obviously (he already won his first match :clap: ), 

He is dating Mariah Sharapova i hate him  :queen:  :queen:  :queen:  :queen:

;) :)

Caroline Forbes

Caroline Forbes

"I love you" "I know"

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

He is dating Mariah Sharapova i hate him  :queen:  :queen:  :queen:  :queen:

;) :)

:pat:

Maybe I take him and we all be happy :nod:

chantilly

chantilly

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,256 posts
I think men's will be Murray or Djokovic.
Women's is wide open. They are all so inconsistent. Serena is the most consistent. But honestly Li Na. Azarenka, Williams, Sharpova all could do it. And they are all hungry for it.
I rooting for our Canadian girl to go far.
I'm rooting for Murray. But I'm fine with whoever wins.
Women's. Honestly whoever plays best.

KittyCat

KittyCat

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts

Just saw on the Wimbledon telecast that Venus Williams and Tomas Berdych are in the 2014 ESPN Body Issue.  :)

Here is an article with the pictures posted. 

http://www.justjared...pns-body-issue/

venus-williams-tomas-berdych-go-naked-fo

venus-williams-tomas-berdych-go-naked-fo

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,049 posts

BERDYCHS UNDERWEAR BRIEFS PRINTED ON HIS BUTT I CRY

Just went through the results of today. There are no real upsets, only a few minor ones;

Belgian Yanina Wickmayer beating Samantha Stosur :) :) :)   with 6-3, 6-4

American Sloan Stephens lost from former topper Kirilenko with 2-6, 6-7

Fernando Verdasco lost from Matosevic with 4-6, 6-4, 4-6, 2-6

The big favorites or names  (Murray, Djoko, Berdych, Na Li, Kvitova, Azarenka, Venus Williams, ..) all went through today

Sailor Moon

Sailor Moon

(◡‿◡✿)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

I didn't even realized that Wimbledon started today. Ups. Stupid football.

I played tennis years ago and was a huge fan back then. I'll never forget 2001. and the day Goran Ivanišević won the title.

Rafa is my favorite now. I've been following him since 2005. It was love at first sight. I remember the day very well. It was my brother's birthday and we had a small party but everyone was watching the Madrid Masters finale. Rafa was playing against another Croatian player and came back from two sets down to win in a fifth-set tie-break. He won me with his passion and fighting spirit. He was also cute.

I don't follow him as closely as before but I hope he beats Roger's record.

I'll definitely keep an eye on results and try to watch some matches.

Bd123

Bd123

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts

I didn't even realized that Wimbledon started today. Ups. Stupid football.

I played tennis years ago and was a huge fan back then. I'll never forget 2001. and the day Goran Ivanišević won the title.

Rafa is my favorite now. I've been following him since 2005. It was love at first sight. I remember the day very well. It was my brother's birthday and we had a small party but everyone was watching the Madrid Masters finale. Rafa was playing against another Croatian player and came back from two sets down to win in a fifth-set tie-break. He won me with his passion and fighting spirit. He was also cute.

I don't follow him as closely as before but I hope he beats Roger's record.

I'll definitely keep an eye on results and try to watch some matches.

Gosh I had the biggest crush on Goran in 2001!! Almost as big as my crush on Darren.  :)

I was rooting so hard for him that year! I'm so glad he won.

Sailor Moon

Sailor Moon

(◡‿◡✿)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Gosh I had the biggest crush on Goran in 2001!! Almost as big as my crush on Darren.  :)

I was rooting so hard for him that year! I'm so glad he won.

I think everyone was rooting for him. :lol: It was his fourth finale and it was an epic one. Patrich Rafter was my second favorite so it couldn't be better.

Edited by Sailor Moon, 23 June 2014 - 03:57 PM.

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,049 posts

2001 is the year I started to follow tennis! :)  Kim Clijsters reached the finals of the French Open and lost 10-12 in the third set against Capriati ;(   My little 11 year old heart broke into a 1000 pieces ;( ;( ;(

Since I was so young I didn't realize how close Ivanisevic had been to winning Wimbledon so many times before, but when my dad told me while watching, I started rooting for him to win really badly ;(   I was so happy!

KittyCat

KittyCat

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts

Goran was fun to watch. I am so glad he won at Wimbledon. 

Patrick Rafter - Another great player!

So sad Sloane Stephens did not play well today. In the past she has really stepped it up when grand slams come around. She needs to improve her starts. She cannot count on being able to dig herself out of an early hole. It creates too much pressure on her game. 

I started following tennis during Wimbledon 1989!

Becker defeated Edberg and Graf defeated Navratilova 

I was hooked.  :)

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,049 posts

NADAL LOST THE FIRST SET

CAN HE NOT????????

Bd123

Bd123

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts

I hate being at work when important matches are on. (I have the rest of the week off though so I see a lot of tennis watching in my future!)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users