39 replies to this topic

CatfishKara Zor-El

CatfishKara Zor-El

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • GFA '15: Mod Spotlight

Figured it might be good to create a thread for Melissa and all things related to her new role as SUPERGIRL!! 

Here are a few more pictures of her from filming the pilot: 

tumblr_nmnzl8NDC11u6hkdwo4_250.jpgtumblr_nmnzl8NDC11u6hkdwo1_250.jpgtumblr_nmnzl8NDC11u6hkdwo2_250.jpgtumblr_nmnzl8NDC11u6hkdwo3_250.jpg

KittyCat

KittyCat

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts
  • GFA '14: Mod Spotlight

http://moviepilot.co...external,manual

not-a-bird-or-a-plane-it-s-melissa-benoi

Not a Bird or a Plane, It’s Melissa Benoist’s Breakout Year
by 

With a sense of sunny optimism and a healthy dose of charisma, Melissa Benoist burst onto the scene only a few years ago and began her steady ascent into the spotlight. Her talent and drive were unmistakable when she blew away Ryan Murphy and landed the coveted role of Marley Rose on Glee. While cutting her teeth on her first big part (and quickly getting promoted to series regular), Benoist showed off incredible singing chops and impeccable delivery.

Her minor role in Whiplash harkened back to Rooney Mara’s memorable introduction in The Social Network, which has become something of a standard for scene-stealing. Benoist took what could have been a thankless or forgettable part and grounded the entire story in tangible, heartbreaking emotions. It was the first time many of us saw her perform, but it was immediately apparent that it wouldn’t be the last. Now, Benoist is making her way to center stage in truly super fashion.

Benoist is poised to become a role model for girls everywhere this fall.

Later this year, she’ll be joining fellow Gleealum Grant Gustin in making the transition to DC’s slate of superhero television shows. As Kara Zor-El, more commonly known as Supergirl, the young actress will have the chance to embody an iconic character and headline a major primetime series. If the critical success and fan response of The Flash and Arrow are any indicator, this is nothing short of a golden opportunity for the spunky Benoist to show off her power of infectious charm and become a role model for girls everywhere. Just as Kara will soon discover her fledgling abilities and inner strength, Supergirl offers Benoist the opportunity to find her own path to greatness.

She may be a relatively new face on our screens, but Melissa Benoist is already commanding attention with her captivating presence and downright likable attitude. She adds an effervescent energy to every role she takes, and that appeal is only bolstered by impeccable comedic timing. With talent and magnetism like hers, it’s no doubt that Benoist is about to take flight into the Hollywood stratosphere in 2015.

--

Melissa Benoist has an infectious charm that makes every scene she’s in a little better, a little brighter; you just feel good watching her. She's best known from her roles of Marley Rose on Glee and Nicole in Whiplash. Her new series, Supergirl, premieres on CBS this fall. (Image credit: Supergirl/CBS)

CatfishKara Zor-El

CatfishKara Zor-El

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

tumblr_nrurpvpFkL1rdlkn5o1_500.jpg

:wub: She pretty 

Maggie Sawyer

Maggie Sawyer

:)

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts
  • GFA '13: Best Poster
  • GFA '14: Biggest Gleek
  • GFA '15: Most Positive

Her very own parking space. Missing the Zor-El ;)

tumblr_nrwi2fHTmx1srbpfno1_540.png

CatfishKara Zor-El

CatfishKara Zor-El

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

This is a GREAT article about Melissa from the Denver Post. (Melissa is from Colorado)

It talks a lot about the kind of person Melissa is, her family, and who she wants to be. It also says she and Blake have been married for two years :| (Surely that was a typo?) Anyway...

http://www.denverpos...light-supergirl

Jean Baptiste

Jean Baptiste

OUR HERO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Allow me to be the first to say how awesome Melissa is rocking glasses. Adorkable!  :wub:

tumblr_nsslef7pNy1u8m71co5_250.gif tumblr_nsg8roGYrO1usrwq6o2_250.gif tumblr_ns4gk5F7Ms1tui0wao5_250.gif 

KittyCat

KittyCat

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

This is a GREAT article about Melissa from the Denver Post. (Melissa is from Colorado)

It talks a lot about the kind of person Melissa is, her family, and who she wants to be. It also says she and Blake have been married for two years :| (Surely that was a typo?) Anyway...

http://www.denverpos...light-supergirl

Love that article. Thanks for sharing it! 

She has been married for more than two years to "Glee" castmate Blake Jenner, "longer than anyone knows," she said.

As private as they both are, it really does not surprise me if true. I say good for them. 

CatfishKara Zor-El

CatfishKara Zor-El

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

POPULAR

tumblr_ntqv6c8D9W1sphrqyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ntqv6c8D9W1sphrqyo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ntr9xigYrg1uc6ke1o1_500.jpg

Maggie Sawyer

Maggie Sawyer

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts

tumblr_ntqv6c8D9W1sphrqyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ntqv6c8D9W1sphrqyo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ntr9xigYrg1uc6ke1o1_500.jpg

These are like the cutest photos I've ever seen ;( And it just goes to show how inspiring this show can be!

KittyCat

KittyCat

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

How @MelissaBenoist convinced CBS she would fly in @SupergirlCBS: http://ow.ly/SciPY

CO4Zq5NWIAErGZG.jpg

http://www.ew.com/ar...dccfe1752127660

Supergirl: How Melissa Benoist convinced CBS she would fly

The inside story of Supergirl's turbulent flight to fall

Posted September 14 2015 — 1:29 PM EDT

It’s been 40 years. Can you believe four decades have passed since a major broadcast network launched a TV show about a female superhero based on a comic-book character? You have to go all the way back to 1975’s Wonder Woman to find a costumed lead heroine — Lynda Carter, gold lasso, star-spangled shorts. That’s why CBS’ upcoming Supergirl is a series that’s equal parts revolutionary and way, way overdue.

And the fate of the series all depends on a 26-year-old from Colorado in her first lead role: former Glee actress Melissa Benoist, whose days and nights are crammed with learning to perform one superpowered feat after another. Like during EW’s visit to the L.A. set when Benoist had her first Kryptonian quick change. Remember how Christopher Reeve’s hunky dork Clark Kent whipped off his glasses while rushing to transform into Superman? It’s like that, only with a feminine twist — the glasses come off, then she releases her pinned-up hair with a freeing toss, like a shampoo ad. (But not too much like a shampoo ad — that would be the silly come-hither version that Benoist jokingly performs between takes.)

Oh, and no pressure — she’s told production is running behind and she only has “one shot” to do this manuever.

So Benoist, naturally, just starts rapping Eminem: “You better never let it go! You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow… “

She doesn’t finish, but the next lyric, the one that’s so perfectly fitting, hangs in the air anyway: This opportunity comes once in a lifetime …

“Action!”

Benoist strides through a chaotic horde of extras, flicks off her specs, pulls the hairpin, and her locks … don’t … quite … unfurl in time.

So? Girl’s got thick hair, okay? Her cousin Superman never had to deal with this.

And that’s the whole point of the show. “It’s Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers,” executive producer Greg Berlanti has often said. Because Rogers had to do every dance move Astaire performed, “but backwards and in heels.” Which is exactly how the superproducer, also responsible for The Flash and Arrow, pitched the show to CBS last year, along with key monologue from the show’s pilot — the one where Calista Flockhart’s media empire boss tackles head-on the “girl vs. woman” naming issue, reframing “girl” as empowering, not belittling. So take that, Twitter.  

“I didn’t want to do a Supergirl show and call it something else,” Berlanti says. “And I knew sometimes corporate people and executives can get scared. We wanted to have the conversation that we felt the audience would have.” 

Once CBS was on board, the biggest challenge was finding an actress who could pull off playing Kara Zor-El (a.k.a. Supergirl). Benoist was the first seen out of thousands that producers considered — just like Stephen Amell was the first to audition for Arrow, and Grant Gustin was first in line for Flash. So it’s like fate, right? Actually, Benoist’s placement was no accident. Casting director David Rapaport “made sure [producers] saw Melissa first,” exec producer Sarah Schechter reveals. “By the third time, he knew how superstitious Greg and [exec producer Andrew Kreisberg] were, and he used that.”

There was a good reason Rapaport pushed for Benoist. She brought a joyful optimism to her audition that influenced the pilot script even while it was still being written. Yet it took months to get everybody, including CBS, to agree. “I definitely had a moment where I couldn’t understand why I [hadn’t gotten it],” Benoist recalls. “Some people were hesitant because I hadn’t had much experience.”

Another concern was the producers’ Annie Hall-ish rom-com conception of Kara, which veered from most tights-wearing crime-fighters and from Supergirl’s flying-cheerleader look in the comics. “Everyone just wanted to be sure,” Berlanti says. “They knew that this was the most important decision that we would make. They have pictures in the comics of a massive mane of blond hair, and an emphasis on her chest or legs. Whereas if you’re casting Superman, everyone’s going to go, ‘How much does he remind you of Christopher Reeve?’”

Other perception-busting casting moves included tapping True Blood’s Mehcad Brooks (tall, ripped, African-American) as Superman’s buddy Jimmy Olsen, typically a redheaded geek. “I’m like, ‘Wait — theJimmy Olsen?’” Brooks says about being approached for the part. “I’ve gone out for things where people talk about ‘color-blind casting’ before, but normally it doesn’t go your way.” After getting the good news, “I screamed like there was a fire.”

For the role of Kara’s demanding boss, media magnate Cat Grant, Berlanti swayed Flockhart to come back to broadcast TV, where she last worked on his ABC show Brothers & Sisters. “I don’t know that I’ve ever begged as hard as that,” Berlanti says of signing Flockhart.

With the cast in place, the next hurdle was scripting the ambitious pilot, in which Kara juggles a regular, bill-paying job as a personal assistant in National City with her love life, all the while secretly moonlighting as a freelance hero capturing alien bad guys. (Kara’s famous cousin, Superman, remains off screen in Metropolis.) The pilot, reported to cost $14 million and stuffed to the gills with special effects, took more than a month to film. “It sometimes turned a little tedious for us, like, ‘Take 40!’” says Jeremy Jordan, who plays Kara’s friend-zoned confidant Winslow. “We were like, ‘Am I that bad of an actor?’ But they wanted to get a bunch of options so they could find the right tone.”

CBS tested the pilot with a focus group where producers had a particularly scary moment during a scene in which a villain beats up Supergirl. The focus group did not like that. At all. “The first time a man punches a woman, everyone went, ‘Oh my God’ — so that was tricky,” says showrunner Ali Adler. But as Supergirl recovered and triumphed, the dials turned positive again. “She has the exact same powers as Superman, so I think we just needed to show the audience that,” Adler says.

In May, CBS greenlit Supergirl to series and almost immediately the finished pilot leaked onto BitTorrent. Given the polished high-def quality of the print, some suspected studio Warner Bros. secretly leaked the pilot itself in order to create buzz. Berlanti is adament this wasn’t the case. “No, no, no, it wasn’t,” he said. “When people watch stuff that way, it’s like going to a restaurant and leaving before you pay the bill.”

Still, fan reaction was overwhelmingly positive, especially toward Benoist. Now comes the rest of the hard part: crafting all the episodes to come this season, which Benoist teases is a “roller-coaster crash test of what it takes to be a hero” as her character tackles Phantom Zone fugitives while solidifying her team of helpers.

Which brings us back to the Supergirl herself. She’s sometimes working until 2:30 a.m., cheerfully hanging board-stiff on “flying” wires (which feels like trying to set a record for holding the world’s longest plank), wearing a corset under an increasingly uncomfortable muscle-padded suit, dragging around a cape all day … and all that time, she’s showing the same spirit, on screen and off, that landed her this role of lifetime — even when she’s not feeling it inside. “Kara is so optimistic, and so positive, and just full of hope all the time,” Benoist says. “My tendency can sometimes be ‘Oh, man, if I were in this situation, I’d feel hopeless.’ But she never feels that. There’s never really a horribly dark moment in Supergirl’s life.”

Yet for executives watching her every move, Benoist is the one element — the most important one — they’re not worried about. “She is going to change the way girls feel about themselves with her energy and her light,” Adler declares. “It’s crazy. She’s going to fly.”

Maggie Sawyer

Maggie Sawyer

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts

CatfishKara Zor-El

CatfishKara Zor-El

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

tumblr_nvk8ncJesQ1u9773so1_500.jpg

aliadler: It’s not a doughnut but it’s the other thing always in her hand. #Supergirl @supergirlcbs @supergirlofficial @melissabenoist

tumblr_nvk55qUr611u9773so1_500.jpg

kartehol: @MelissaBenoist meets @DCComics star @CatStaggs & her #Supergirl #GreatVisit #SoHappyToSeeU

tumblr_nvkpo1ltpM1u9773so1_500.jpg

tengstagram: When you give #Supergirl a bad acting note, this is what you get. @melissabenoist

CatfishKara Zor-El

CatfishKara Zor-El

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Umm...HUGE shout out to David Rapaport for choosing NOT to cast Melissa as Thea Queen on Arrow. Thus allowing her to play SUPERGIRL in the future instead!  :clap:

Plus, I like Willa ;( and there also would have been no Melissa's beautiful voice on Glee ;(  Or Bliss!! ;(  ;(

CatfishKara Zor-El

CatfishKara Zor-El

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Melissa is featured in Emmys "faces of fall" article

tumblr_nvz3uytxEx1u8xpfio1_1280.jpg

Melissa Benoist

Supergirl, CBS

To look at her, you wouldn’t know how much weight is on Melissa Benoist’s shoulders. First, there’s the pressure of playing Supergirl at a time when DC Comics and Marvel superhero movies have raised the bar — and fans’ expectations — so much.

There’re also the inevitable comparisons to her super predecessors, whether it be Laura Vandervoort on the CW’s Smallville or the movie version with Helen Slater (more about her later).

And then there’s the challenge of bringing a character to life without being too sexy or too soft, too cute or too comic. But if there’s a young actress who knows how to dazzle and still keep things real, it’s Benoist.

In addition to playing nice girl Marley Rose on two seasons of Glee, she was memorable as the girl who got away from Miles Teller in Whiplash. And she all but stole this year’s The Longest Ride as a sorority sister who likes to party.

Here, she steps into the pivotal role of Kara Zor-el, the last survivor of Krypton, who has come to Earth and been raised by Jeremiah and Eliza Danvers (played by ex–TV Superman, Dean Cain, and former big-screen Supergirl, Helen Slater). Originally sent to protect her baby cousin, Kal-el, she discovers he has grown up and is doing just fine without her.

Working incognito at a newspaper, not unlike her cousin, she is an assistant to the mercurial editor, Cat Grant (Calista Flockhart, like you’ve never seen her). But it’s Benoist who keeps the show airborne, even-keeled, balanced and flying at just the right speed.

http://www.emmys.com...ures/faces-fall

Blaine Anderson

Blaine Anderson

Ridiculous

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,576 posts
Melissa will be on Ellen on Monday, according to my TV guide. :clap:

Maggie Sawyer

Maggie Sawyer

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts
Ellen finally put up the video :)

CatfishKara Zor-El

CatfishKara Zor-El

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

POPULAR

Lovely, lovely words from Laura Benanti about Melissa. It's so nice to read stuff like this about her!

http://www.broadwayw..._medium=twitter

Because of her dual roles, most of Benanti's scenes take place opposite Benoist and Malina Weissman, who plays a young Kara. Having been able to work so closely with Benoist, Benanti has quickly come to admire her young costar.

"I literally want to cry when I think of her, I love her so much," Benanti confessed. "I'm serious, I actually feel like her mom. I am so proud of her. She is one of the nicest people I've ever met; people, not just actors, she's one of the nicest people I've ever met.

"She's so genuine, she's such a hard worker, she is an incredible actress, she never complains. She is Supergirl, she is a superhero to me. I love her. Her sense of humor, she's hilarious, she knows every single person's name on the crew, she's just like the anti-diva. I cannot say enough good things about her."

Benoist's performance has been hailed by critics and comic book fans alike, and many have praised the actress for gracefully carrying the mantle as one of TV and film's few leading female superheroes.

"I am so happy that young women, and young men, are going to have such a wonderful person to look up to, Melissa the actress" Benanti continued. "When she goes on a talkshow, I am happy for people to watch her and go, 'Wow, I want to be like that.' I'm just so excited, I feel like it's such a wonderful thing for young girls and young boys everywhere."

Maggie Sawyer

Maggie Sawyer

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts

Gleek1978

Gleek1978

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts
  • GFA '15: Biggest Gleek

:lol: I knew she would be in her element there before I even watched it. Could she be any sweeter?

CatfishKara Zor-El

CatfishKara Zor-El

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

tumblr_nz29ho9jAB1srbpfno1_500.png

Melissa in the latest issue of Vanity Fair. Here is a link to the article. She looks STUNNING!

http://www.vanityfai...melissa-benoist

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Melissa Benoist, Supergirl, Kara Danvers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users