• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

ryderlover

ryderlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Given that it's been two and a half years since Glee ended, I don't know why I didn't think of this until now.  But given how Jacob, Melissa, Blake, Alex, and Becca became series regulars in Season 5 only to be dropped two thirds of the way through the same season, I'm wondering why none of them sued.  (While Becca was part of Season 6, she seemed to be a last minute addition, evident by how she was demoted back to recurring status that season.)  If I was in that position, I would of definitely sued the company.

On the plus side, the Season 6 folks made up for this mess.  I remember how a lot of us were annoyed at first that they were bringing in new folks until we actually got to see them ourselves.

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

No wonder I'm crazy! This just solves it all ♥

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,178 posts
  • GFA '14: Biggest Brittany and Santana Stan
  • GFA '15: Best Friendship: Karina & Valerie

I think that as long as they were paid for the amount of episodes they were contracted for, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they were to sue.

They probably were still paid a lot of money in the second half of s5.

jaymcb

jaymcb

"Now they are all looking for a Lea Michele type"

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,584 posts
  • From the Top: Member Since 2009

I doubt any lawyer would have taken your case. I am sure Fox paid them for what they were obligated to pay them for and their legal team made sure everything was on the up and up when the cast was released. 

Their ongoing regular status was not guaranteed either.   Not a single regular was in every episode so that is not a guarantee either.

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton

Finchel Forever <3

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,739 posts
  • GFA '12: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '13: Biggest Shipper
  • GFA '14: Best Writer
  • GFA '15: Best Writer/Roleplayer

When someone's a regular of a series, don't they get a base salary, or do they get paid per episode?  I thought that was the difference between regular and recurring.

jaymcb

jaymcb

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,584 posts

When someone's a regular of a series, don't they get a base salary, or do they get paid per episode?  I thought that was the difference between regular and recurring.

They get paid per episode but they may only be guaranteed a certain amount of episodes per season.

So if they are guaranteed 13 episodes they get paid for 13 (if they appear or not) plus any additional episodes. 

As a regular you have to make yourself available to the show first.  A reoccurring spot is used as needed and if available.

Octavia Blake

Octavia Blake

Yours, love.

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,252 posts
  • GFA '15: Mod Spotlight

Yeah, for the most part, I think you get paid if your name is still in the 'credits', whether you're in the episode or not. But each regular doesn't get the same amount of money, based on star power, screentime, and presumably, how many episodes they're guaranteed or whatever.

Like Amber, Harry and Mark chose to remain regulars in S4, even though they were only in a handful of episodes, whereas Dianna and Jayma were recurring. I can't remember if Jayma chose that, but Dianna did. The difference there being that Amber, Harry and Mark would've gotten more money for being regulars, but would have to be available at the show's discretion. Whereas Dianna was probably contracted to appear in a few episodes, but she likely had more control/say in when she appeared - they worked around her schedule, as opposed to Amber, Harry and Mark having to work around the show's.

But iirc, Mark said something about how he couldn't be in the S4 finale, and it seemed like he had a maximum amount of episodes he was allowed to appear in in S4, and since he was around in Lima in the middle when Mercedes and Mike weren't, he used up his episodes sooner, and thus couldn't be in the finale like they were. I think?

Brody Weston

Brody Weston

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,291 posts
  • GFA '14: Mod Spotlight
  • GFA '15: Biggest Crackshipper

Yeah, for the most part, I think you get paid if your name is still in the 'credits', whether you're in the episode or not. But each regular doesn't get the same amount of money, based on star power, screentime, and presumably, how many episodes they're guaranteed or whatever.

Like Amber, Harry and Mark chose to remain regulars in S4, even though they were only in a handful of episodes, whereas Dianna and Jayma were recurring. I can't remember if Jayma chose that, but Dianna did. The difference there being that Amber, Harry and Mark would've gotten more money for being regulars, but would have to be available at the show's discretion. Whereas Dianna was probably contracted to appear in a few episodes, but she likely had more control/say in when she appeared - they worked around her schedule, as opposed to Amber, Harry and Mark having to work around the show's.

But iirc, Mark said something about how he couldn't be in the S4 finale, and it seemed like he had a maximum amount of episodes he was allowed to appear in in S4, and since he was around in Lima in the middle when Mercedes and Mike weren't, he used up his episodes sooner, and thus couldn't be in the finale like they were. I think?

Harry originally wasn't gonna be in the wedding episode, until people began to riot over that on social media and they threw him in it last minute with no dialogue.

Overall, all 3 of them ended up appearing in the same amount of episodes in s4 (from memory I believe the magic number was 8) which strongly indicated that, yes, they had an upper limit. I'm assuming they didn't want Harry in the wedding ep cause they had other plans for him but then decided to give into the backlash and "waste" one of his eps to avoid pissing off everyone.

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton

Finchel Forever <3

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,739 posts

Harry originally wasn't gonna be in the wedding episode, until people began to riot over that on social media and they threw him in it last minute with no dialogue.

Overall, all 3 of them ended up appearing in the same amount of episodes in s4 (from memory I believe the magic number was 8) which strongly indicated that, yes, they had an upper limit. I'm assuming they didn't want Harry in the wedding ep cause they had other plans for him but then decided to give into the backlash and "waste" one of his eps to avoid pissing off everyone.

Terri was a "regular" in S2 and was only in six episodes, and I think Burt was in eight in S2 and a regular.

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,178 posts

I don't think we really know how their contracts work into detail...

I worked in the writer's room of a Belgian tv show and there were some actors who had a contract with the show that gave them a steady pay check every month. Whether they sat all month at home doing nothing, or whether they were playing every scene in every episode: every month the same pay check, and were supposed to be available as much as the writer's needed them that month. But then there were other actors who were not only contracted by episode, but even by amount of scenes. We had to carefully count while writing because actor X could only be in 15 scenes, whike actor Y could only be in 7 scenes. Exceptions were ofc possible if necessary.

Like, not saying this is how Glee worked, we have never heard of something like that with them.  Just saying that we probably don't know much about their contracts and what they exactly mean...  They just give us some basic info in interviews: yeah i'm gonna be in 5 episodes this season!  But they don't tell us any details.

jaymcb

jaymcb

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,584 posts

^ American tv it is reported they get paid  an certain amount per episode as a regular.

It would be fiscally irresponsible to have the entire cast get paid if they were in the episode or not.  I still believe they had a guarantee amount and would be paid for any additional episodes as needed.

Some cast probably had higher guarantees  though.

Karissa

Karissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

i always though the season 4 newbies were dropped because the writers had to scrap everything they had planned due to corys passing and didnt know what to do with the lima side of the story. As for Becca i think they brought her back in s6 after her own partner also passed to support her maybe give her something to do and possibly because Lea asked them too. I could be entirely wrong though.

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,178 posts

^ American tv it is reported they get paid  an certain amount per episode as a regular.

It would be fiscally irresponsible to have the entire cast get paid if they were in the episode or not. 

I never said they did that though... nor did I say that they do this in Belgian tv???  

My point was that we only know bits and pieces through what they report to us in interviews or press statements. We don't know any details.  They'll tell us "I'll be in 5 episodes this season!"  But with such a statement we still have no idea how their contract really works.

jaymcb

jaymcb

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,584 posts

I never said you did say that. I was just reiterating what most if not all American tv says in regards to pay.  It has been said per episode for glee cast as well.  The salary of Lea, Matt and Jane has been reported per episode several times.

So the paid per episode question I think is answered now what caveats are attached is a different matter.

Grayson Ellis

Grayson Ellis

Dime Eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

I felt bad for them. I'd have much rather the second half of S5 have been all Lima, as opposed to all NYC (which was pure tripe). I also feel like they didn't get a great send off and the fact that they cut Total Eclipse Of The Heart (which was meant to be their goodbye song) and left in shit like Party All The Time is even worse. 

I like that they brought Becca back (especially given all the personal loss she was going through) as Kitty really shone in S6 but teh S6 newbies along with the S4 newbies would've made a very strong ND without the contrived Warbler coalition plot.

jaymcb

jaymcb

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,584 posts

Would have lost me for sure if they went all Lima.

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton

Finchel Forever <3

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,739 posts

I think they would have lost people whether it had been all NY or all Lima.  Fans of the characters on the Lima side or the choir room dynamic probably skipped the back half of S5 (it had considerably lower ratings).  But casual viewers who left the show after the initial novelty wore off or the Class of 2012 graduated were unlikely to come back.  Cory was one of the show's biggest stars, and his tribute episode had about half as many viewers as late S1/ early S2 episodes did.  

jaymcb

jaymcb

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,584 posts

In season 4 they pretty much said season 6 would be the last.  I think  when the new kids did not catch on as they hoped and with Cory gone they figured this was ending maybe even with a shorten season 6 so they decided it was best to finish up where they started and the people who got them there.

So they literally went back to the start building the club up and couldn't do that with the season 4 new kids.  I like the season 6 new kids they had different personalities and were not just there to fill a empty role like lead girl, lead guy,  bad boy, bitch etc.

If the old kids just dropped wouldn't people been hey they treated them wrong too?

JeSsKa

JeSsKa

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,355 posts
  • GFA '12: Most Original
  • GFA '13: Craziest
^ I remember a lot of people saying that, especially when the spinoff rumors were still going.

There really was no way to make it work, aside from what they did. The spinoff option was truly the best one but of course that's a whole different can of worms. I think one of the problems was that everyone in s1 was a sophomore, and later some were retconned to freshmen. They should've graduated steadily until the main cast was Bo

I am tired of writing coherent sentences everyone go listen to reputation

Brody Weston

Brody Weston

Advanced Member

• GF Benefactor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,291 posts
  • GFA '14: Mod Spotlight
  • GFA '15: Biggest Crackshipper

In season 4 they pretty much said season 6 would be the last.  I think  when the new kids did not catch on as they hoped and with Cory gone they figured this was ending maybe even with a shorten season 6 so they decided it was best to finish up where they started and the people who got them there.

So they literally went back to the start building the club up and couldn't do that with the season 4 new kids.  I like the season 6 new kids they had different personalities and were not just there to fill a empty role like lead girl, lead guy,  bad boy, bitch etc.

If the old kids just dropped wouldn't people been hey they treated them wrong too?

Honestly... no. Lea, Chord, Darren, Naya, etc. all had their moment to shine - the first 3 seasons. They basically did get rid of some originals in s5 (Mark, Harry etc.) pulling a Degrassi and bringing in a new class is... the cycle of life. Shifting the entire focus to an entirely new setting was a bizarre move, and - in my opinion at least - produced some of the worst TV I've ever seen.

And it's not like the graduates couldn't have come back as special guest stars every once in a while. I mean Santana headlined Grease despite having graduated prior.

Santana Lopez

Santana Lopez

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,178 posts

It might be a move you didn't like, but I wouldn't call it bizarre. The Degrassi way is one way to go, but lbr... most high school shows don't.

It's not a bizarre move to follow your main characters wherever they go. Boy Meets World followed them from primary school till they graduated college, and even on their honey moon.  Dawson's Creek did the same thing Glee did:  split narratives between wherever all the kids went to college and the ones that stayed home.

One other way to do it is like One Tree Hill and PLL:  time jump of a few years that skips the college years, after which everyone comes back to the home town. But in Glee's case that wouldn't work because most of them were supposed to "get out of Ohio".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users