Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

How do you feel about Shelby keeping Beth?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

gleekygirl

gleekygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Happy? Sad? Angry? Other?

I haven't seen it yet, but I've read the spoilers. tongue.gif How does Rachel react to that? ohmy.gif

DivineMissZ

DivineMissZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Rachel doesn't react to it. In fact they don't even allude to Rachel knowing about it all.

If I was her, I'd be heartbroken though...even though Shelby was a snatch to her.

guhleek

guhleek

Hold up. Did she just say she wanted to eat us?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts
I feel that Rachel clued her in when she made the point of telling Shelby that Quinn had a "beautiful baby girl," not just "Oh she had a girl." Like a "here's your chance" type of thing. She wants her mom to be happy I'm sure, and maybe that was just something Rachel wanted for her because they will never have that bond.

MaddieTheGleek

MaddieTheGleek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Honestly, even though I knew it would happen, I was bummed. I really wanted Quinn and Puck to raise their baby together, but it was probably the best decision. I just hope Shelby will let them have a relationship with Beth since she obviously regrets not having one with Rachel.

rBerry

rBerry

Lea/Mark/Jonathan all own my heart <3 St.Puckleberry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
It was stupid. What makes me mad is the fact that Shelby keeps saying she missed out on being with Rachel. Rachel is only 16 years old! Usually a time when teenage girls need their mothers the most and Shelby acts as if the only thing mothers are good for is changing diapers. It was pretty predictable that she was going to get Beth but the way they did it was retarded. She just shows up in the hospital?

Hattie

Hattie

the journey is the destination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
Really disappointed sad.gif it just seems far too cliche, and I was sort of hopin that her mum would help her. I didn't like how Quinn was so mama bear in these last couple of eps and then she just goes 'i don't want her' although I admire her resolve.

vanmar0521

vanmar0521

I love being ignored...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
i thought it was extremely random (and a little creepy) that she just happened to show up at the hospital while Quinn and Puck were looking at their child. It felt like she was stalking Quinn to get the baby. It was pretty obvious that Shelby was going to get Beth. As far as Rachel goes, I agree that Rachel still needs a mother, she's still young and she still needs advice on girl things (remember the episode where she was asking the girls about doing the deed and she tried to talk to Emma about it?). She's going to find out about the baby next season, so I'm sure it would upset her somehow.

MarthaRose92

MarthaRose92

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
Indifferent, I saw it coming so I wasn't shocked. I'm a bit excited though to see if this means Rachel and Shelby will have more scenes and if Quick will have any contact with Shelby and Beth

carebear81

carebear81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I'm glad Quinn and Puck didn't keep her. That fantasy of raising a baby and being a happy little family is nice and all, but it isn't very realistic. Not saying it can't or hasn't happened -- but I mean come on. I respect that they wanted more for her and themselves. They made an error. Now they can continue on.

As for Shelby? I am not surprised. She has been clearly longing for a family of her own. Her lack of ability to have children in addition to her fierce career dedication made it impossible. Then she saw Rachel and thought that was her chance. She jumped the gun and regretted it. Unfortunately for Rachel she opened up a can of very emotional worms.

I don't think Shelby wants nothing to to with Rachel. But she just can't be her mother. It sucks for Rachel because although she knows Shelby doesnt want to do the "mommy" thing, she still wants Shelby in her life. I felt for her in the lounge asking her to come teach. Shebly has put up a wall with Rachel.

It is just unfortunate because all Rachel will see is that Shelby rejected her as a daughter and replaced her with a brand new baby girl who just happens to be the child of her classmates.

Ouch.

SunnyCait

SunnyCait

Everyone knows my job here is to look hot!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I wasn't shocked but I'm not overly happy with it. She just shows up and magically gets the baby. Right. In Glee-Land I suppose it can work that way but definitely NOT in the real world.

I want to hear more about what Puck has to say. Was it just me or did he not seem to want to give her up?

GLEE84

GLEE84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
I think it's the perfect way to end her character. She won regionals with VA and now she gets to do the right thing with a new baby

JLluvsGlee01

JLluvsGlee01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
It was honestly the one thing I did not want to happen and it did LOL but I was more okay with it then I thought that I would be. I feel just awful for Rachel this more than anything has the power to devastate her and I think it might. I understand Shelby's motivation especially after hearing Rachel talk about her dads it would have to break her heart to think about how she would never have that with her. At the same time I think it was ridiculously selfish for her to begin this whole thing and then leave Rachel there with her heart in her hand and with a million unresolved issues.

So for them to reward an almost villain who just devastated a teenage girl with her heart's desire I don't think it was a good choice. For numerous reasons I really hope that Idina is coming back next season and there will be more to this storyline but as of right now I think the best way to explain it was the one tiny speck in a perfect show for me.

hendrika83

hendrika83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
QUOTE (MarthaRose92 @ Jun 8 2010, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indifferent, I saw it coming so I wasn't shocked. I'm a bit excited though to see if this means Rachel and Shelby will have more scenes and if Quick will have any contact with Shelby and Beth

agreed.

but i also do think its dumb that shelby is all like trying to stay out of rachels life and saying she missed her chance...its not like she's 20+ or something. rachel is supposed to be like 15 or 16...i think there is definatly room there for a mother to have a chance

pal2002

pal2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
This little sideplot I did not see coming at all. If anything I would've gussed Terri would've adopted her despite the divorce. I wonder how this will work out for Shelby as a character.
This adoption could mean 2 disparate things:
1. giving Shelby a real storyline beside her botched relations with Rachel
2. cheap way of writing Shelby out of the series forever

There is actually quite the possibility it is #2 here, but I really hope not.

puckerman21

puckerman21

Your face. Tastes. Awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I was really angry because Shelby was so mean to Rachel saying 'it's too late for us' just as much saying he doesn't want her now either, and I think Quinn should have kept the baby, and Shelby should have gave Rachel a chance! Rachel wanted her to at least try but she shove her away... I wish Quinn & puck would've kept Beth.

Petra

Petra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think that the reason Shelby is not pursuing a relationship with Rachel is because she realizes that Rachel in fact does not need her. She has gone 16 years of her life without a mother and just because Shelby all of a sudden shows up doesn't mean that she now needs her mother (even though Rachel still may want that relationship). I think that over the next season Rachel will realize this fact just like Shelby has a be ok with the fact that she adopted Beth.

artizi

artizi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
QUOTE (Petra @ Jun 8 2010, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that the reason Shelby is not pursuing a relationship with Rachel is because she realizes that Rachel in fact does not need her. She has gone 16 years of her life without a mother and just because Shelby all of a sudden shows up doesn't mean that she now needs her mother (even though Rachel still may want that relationship). I think that over the next season Rachel will realize this fact just like Shelby has a be ok with the fact that she adopted Beth.

Yeah, she will be ok
But she obviously want a relationship with her. Not a mommy, but she wants her in her life, she admires her, and I feel like Shelby is too harsh... When she said she "missed her chance" with Rachel. Come on, the girl's 16 and obviously wants a relationship with her new found mother... Again... Not mommy dearest, but something.

But I think they're doing this to keep her off the show as much time as possible because of Idina's schedule or something, and maybe have her as a guest now and then.

I for one fully expected Shelby to adopt her, but still didnt like it one bit. Sorry. I get the ones that liked it, I just didn't. Not one bit. So it coming, of course. But didnt like it. Way too cheesy, cliche... Nah, I dont think too many people were happy about it.

carebear81

carebear81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
But I think they're doing this to keep her off the show as much time as possible because of Idina's schedule or something, and maybe have her as a guest now and then.

I am sure that it is a part of it. Idina is a new mother herself. Her son is just 9 months old. They start filming next month (So does Private Practice, her husband's show) so I think she is not trying to be committed full time to anything. Also she is still touring throughout the year. So she also has conflicts with that. But she did say she would love to come back.

I hope they can work around it though. I hope this isn't the end of Rachel and Shelby.

EmmaSchu

EmmaSchu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
Even though I called it happening, I don't like this plot line. And while it could give Rachel a story in season two about being betrayed, yadda yadda, I don't like it. I think they should have ridden out the baby situation into season two. Quinn's face when she was holding her? Then she just gives her away? Not buying it. And it's clear that Puck doesn't want to let his Beth go...

JackieAnne

JackieAnne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Personally I thought the concept of Shelby adoption Beth was predicatable and unrealistic.

So Quinn obviously loved her baby but realistically speaking, two teens in highschool (with only one having a job) cannot raise and support a baby. Even though Quinn and her mom are rebuilding their relationship (which I enjoyed) - expecting the mother to raise the child would be silly.

But honestly, the only thing Quinn knows about Shelby is that she is Rachels mom...and that apparently qualifies one to be parent material.

yes, yes. We got the sob story about Shelby not having the ability to have anymore children. But a single, working mother to raise a baby by herself? Yes, she probably has savings from teaching but enough to raise a child by herself? Thats unrealistic.

I feel as though the writers just took an easy way out to get Shelby and the baby out of the picture.

Overall,
Not pleased with it. But can't do anything to change it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids