Other Shows: Arrow . The Tomorrow People . Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . The Originals . The 100 . Star-Crossed . Bates Motel . Devious Maids
Photo

The Future of Glee Without Cory

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
558 replies to this topic

StillCookin

StillCookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts

They could obviously do it a 100 different ways, but if they do choose to do it on the first episode back, then I can definitely see something like your scenario. Honestly I thought about the possibility of using Finn's absence from the finale - like maybe they can revise it and say he was supposed to be there but never showed up, and then they find out why. IDK, maybe that would be too hard for the cast to act through, but the fact that they didn't explain his absence in season 4 does give them some leeway. 

catfishkatie

catfishkatie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Reading through this thread, there seems to be a mixed bag of opinions regarding "when" they should tackle Finn's passing (if they choose to do it). I am someone who believes it needs to be addressed right off the bat. To me, having these kids dance around in Mamma Mia costumes and sing Wham songs just won't seem right, especially since we all know what is looming. While I have absolutely NO IDEA what the actors are feeling, I think it might be more difficult to act happy and like everything is okay BEFORE they have let the characters grieve over Finn's passing. Let me add that Lea is the exception to all of this. If she's not ready, I understand. She needs to be allowed all the time she needs before anything else. The best solution would be to have her involved as little as possible, but that might be difficult since Finn was the closest to Rachel.  

I agree that ratings are likely to go up at the start of the season. Many eyes are going to be on Glee again. I mean, look at all their twitter followers. Even the new cast's accounts have shot up tremendously. People who quit watching will want to tune back in and even those that have never watched the show may tune in just to see how Glee is going to handle this incredibly tragic situation. Wouldn't it be wrong to not address it right away? I feel like they would be "milking it" so to speak if they waited. JMO though! Please know I'm not trying to come off as insensitive when discussing time frames or ratings! 

They could obviously do it a 100 different ways, but if they do choose to do it on the first episode back, then I can definitely see something like your scenario. Honestly I thought about the possibility of using Finn's absence from the finale - like maybe they can revise it and say he was supposed to be there but never showed up, and then they find out why. IDK, maybe that would be too hard for the cast to act through, but the fact that they didn't explain his absence in season 4 does give them some leeway. 

I was actually thinking the exact same thing!! He didn't show up for Regionals...which was odd. So maybe they will write it so that he couldn't be there because something happened to him. IDK...

Sparky Young Upstart

Sparky Young Upstart

All fanfic comes with a price.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

The main thing for me is that I don't want them to have Finn's death "happen" right off the bat. By which I mean, I don't want everybody to be happy at the wedding when suddenly somebody rushes in and tells them what happened. It'd rip open the wounds and they'd all be flung back to when they first found out. It should begin, like, a few weeks after the death and the episode should either begin or end on the funeral. Some characters would be avoiding the group (if the actors still need some time off), and some could be in grief counselling. As for the question of how long the mourning should last, I think the best way would be for it to last however long it lasts for the actors. It would have to be natural so that they could naturally recover instead of it being forced via a script. Different people would get back to normal quicker than others, and any kind of grief lingering past the first through episodes would be implicit in the actor's performances instead of just stated outright "Sam is still sad and Tina is not" or whatever.

FunkyLeprechaun

FunkyLeprechaun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

If they did recast (lets say Lea and also Cory's family gave the blessing for recasting Finn to give the character the opportunity for closure on the show)- who could fill in those shoes? I can think of one person but he's already committed to another show (no it's not Jon Groff but someone very similar in that acting circle of friends). 

I've tried to think of ways how they would write him out of the show and not have it feel too empty in places where he should have been present. It's very difficult to think about. 

If any of the other characters (even Kurt) were in the same position, it'd be slightly easier to write them out. Finn is such a central character and EVERYONE'S plot is affected by Finn being gone (More so with Rachel) that it's very difficult to write him out entirely. 

langslow

langslow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

It would have been so much easier if they had stayed with the normal timeline. Having Finn die in the summer with a couple of months of mourning before school got back would have been much better. How long is spring break? I just don't want to see the characters first reactions.

Glee is supposed to be light hearted for the most part. I don't think they could get away with doing too many sad episodes in a row. I think it would turn people off, especially those that weren't as attached to Finn.

StillCookin

StillCookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts

On the one hand, it would be easier to handle any death storyline from a distance (a few weeks down the line), but for some reason, I really can't see Glee taking that route. It would feel too much like a cop out to not deal with the tragedy in an immediate way. I'm not saying they should do a real time episode about the first hour after getting the news (That would be too difficult, I think), but I do think at least part of it should be about getting and dealing with the news. It'll be harder, but also more cathartic for the viewers. 

It's a tough thing to handle - on the one hand, you don't want your cast and viewers to suffer by triggering real life grief. OTOH, that's almost inevitable in this case, and if you go too far trying to sanitize it, you end up stripping it of poignancy and making it feel hollow.

IDK. I'm glad I don't write this show.

msunshne

msunshne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

If any of the other characters (even Kurt) were in the same position, it'd be slightly easier to write them out. Finn is such a central character and EVERYONE'S plot is affected by Finn being gone (More so with Rachel) that it's very difficult to write him out entirely.

Is it really necassary to insult another character's importance to make a point about Finn? 

AgeOfAquarius

AgeOfAquarius

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,449 posts
  • GFA '13: Most (Glee) Knowledgeable
  • GFA '14: Most (Glee) Knowledgeable

I don't expect everybody to be all better and ready to go tomorrow or next week or anything like that but life does go on.  And work goes on.  There's a reason the showbiz saying, "The show must go on" exists.  Ryan was affected deeply by his father's illness and death.  He wrote it into Glee.  He got married.  He had a child.  We all do what we need to do to work through those times of grief and I really, really think that for the Glee cast and crew a big part of working through their grief will be coming back to the show and the family that they made there and that Cory, and they, all love so much.  I think this may apply even to Lea.  Obviously, this will be extremely difficult for her but she loves Glee and her Glee family.  I do think that she will want to get back to work as soon as she is able to do so.

As for the show, I think they should do a couple of things. I think they should have a clip show, and have some of the cast (and crew) talk about Cory and their favorite memories or whatever and showing favorite scenes and performances.  And I think they should have Finn die on the show but have the show come back after a little time has passed. We don't see the funeral or the immediate aftermath of what happened (and the cast doesn't have to act it) but some event brings the cast back together to celebrate Finn's life.  So maybe Nationals (which gets moved to NY) or graduation or something and there's sort of a memorial service kind of a thing where everybody gathers and reminisces about Finn.  Kind of like how when all the grads returned in 408 and sang "Home" and then went to dinner at Breadstix.  I think whatever they decide to do regarding Finn needs to be done pretty much right after they come back though.  501 could be the Cory episode (the clip show) and 502 the Finn memorial episode or something like that.

sinnfb

sinnfb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,035 posts

I don't expect everybody to be all better and ready to go tomorrow or next week or anything like that but life does go on.  And work goes on.  There's a reason the showbiz saying, "The show must go on" exists.  Ryan was affected deeply by his father's illness and death.  He wrote it into Glee.  He got married.  He had a child.  We all do what we need to do to work through those times of grief and I really, really think that for the Glee cast and crew a big part of working through their grief will be coming back to the show and the family that they made there and that Cory, and they, all love so much.  I think this may apply even to Lea.  Obviously, this will be extremely difficult for her but she loves Glee and her Glee family.  I do think that she will want to get back to work as soon as she is able to do so.

As for the show, I think they should do a couple of things. I think they should have a clip show, and have some of the cast (and crew) talk about Cory and their favorite memories or whatever and showing favorite scenes and performances.  And I think they should have Finn die on the show but have the show come back after a little time has passed. We don't see the funeral or the immediate aftermath of what happened (and the cast doesn't have to act it) but some event brings the cast back together to celebrate Finn's life.  So maybe Nationals (which gets moved to NY) or graduation or something and there's sort of a memorial service kind of a thing where everybody gathers and reminisces about Finn.  Kind of like how when all the grads returned in 408 and sang "Home" and then went to dinner at Breadstix.  I think whatever they decide to do regarding Finn needs to be done pretty much right after they come back though.  501 could be the Cory episode (the clip show) and 502 the Finn memorial episode or something like that.

I really like the idea of a special episode devoted to Cory, with the cast and crew talking about him and BTS footage of him, but I still don't think killing off Finn is the best solution. Idk, I'm aware the show is never going to be the same and it can be already considered more of a drama than a comedy but what would be the purpose of that? Rachel having a nervous breakdown, Kurt being depressed, Will beating himself up for the rest of his life for not being completely in good terms with Finn before he passed etc won't honor Cory's memory. Ignoring it won't do it either of course.

My point is that I believe it's possible to find a middle term, something that will be emotional but will still make us feel like we are watching Glee. I understand addressing people suddenly passing away and drugs are important things but we have to take in consideration the tone of the show and the role Finn had on it. I understand people wanting realism but I don't want the writers to use it as this huge PSA. I seriously doubt Cory wanted to go the way he did and if he "lost" his own battle, I want at least Finn to win his. 

Edited by sinnfb, 17 July 2013 - 10:58 AM.

Coryfan4ever

Coryfan4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Ultimately the writers with the cast's and Lea's oks will write what they feel is right. But, what I hope is that Cory/Finn will not be killed off, or sent to an unknown off screen place. Finn was a cenral and foundation character of Glee. It all depends on the outcomes of decisions by all involved about their futures on Glee. What it seems so logical and fitting to include Finn in a subsequent outline of his futre is to have a fast forward in time at the end of season 5 with Rachel on stage accepting an award with her giving thanks to her husband Finn for everything, looking into the audience at him, which we will never see on screen. That way we will know what their future became of not only for Rachel with her success on Broadway, but for Finn we will finally know what his dream was and that he achieved it, and finally that he and Rachel were married with children or not and happy. I think that Finn and Rachel deserve that. A final positive storyline for Finn where he finally achieved his goals and was a happy man. If it were any other way, then Glee would have left the theme of Glee that Rachel and Finn were their metaphors. Glee would finally become complete. The End. For Me.

And it could continue for others who love the other cast and characters to continue with the ensuing stories that will be written for them from that point on.

glost

glost

Twerkin for Corndogs XD

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,318 posts
  • GFA '14: Biggest Artie Stan

I think no matter what glee will go back to being glee, but the idea is that this show is now entaring a real element here, it started to season 4 and then tip toed back into the shallow end, but now they've been thrusted into the ocean and they have to find a way of swiming back to a positive message, giving us storylines that will be sad, some that seem numb and some that seem out of character, i know that when i know someone personally that has, i don't cry from loss, I cry from pain of seeing others in pain, which why when Cory died i had no idea what i was feeling,  but I feel better everyday knowing he is no longer struggling, Some characters might not even show grief for a very long time. When my great grandma died, i had only cried when i had saw my great grandfathers reaction, my uncle, and my younger cousin, (it touched me so much that she effected us so) but i tried to stay strong and do everything that i could, (she was had just come to my house from the hospital) so attending to their needs seem important, I had went to school that following monday exausted, and soon became pyschaly ill, one mouth and about two weeks went by when i finally broke down, my family was so shocked, my point is that the grief the actors, and characters will go through can come about every few episodes. So it can't just all come out in or two episodes, it wouldn't be fair to the relationshps finn had with everyone.

catfishkatie

catfishkatie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Ultimately the writers with the cast's and Lea's oks will write what they feel is right. But, what I hope is that Cory/Finn will not be killed off, or sent to an unknown off screen place. Finn was a cenral and foundation character of Glee. It all depends on the outcomes of decisions by all involved about their futures on Glee. What it seems so logical and fitting to include Finn in a subsequent outline of his futre is to have a fast forward in time at the end of season 5 with Rachel on stage accepting an award with her giving thanks to her husband Finn for everything, looking into the audience at him, which we will never see on screen. That way we will know what their future became of not only for Rachel with her success on Broadway, but for Finn we will finally know what his dream was and that he achieved it, and finally that he and Rachel were married with children or not and happy. I think that Finn and Rachel deserve that. A final positive storyline for Finn where he finally achieved his goals and was a happy man. If it were any other way, then Glee would have left the theme of Glee that Rachel and Finn were their metaphors. Glee would finally become complete. The End. For Me.

And it could continue for others who love the other cast and characters to continue with the ensuing stories that will be written for them from that point on.

As much as I wish this plan would work I just can't imagine it being something they could pull off. If this was the last season of Glee, maybe. But as of right now I'm believing we are still going to get two more seasons. To me there are three options here:

1. Have Finn die

2. Have Finn go away somewhere never to be seen again

3. Recast Finn (I'm only listing this because it technically is an option but who are we kidding...not gonna happen IMO)

Fore me personally, option 1 is the best of the choices. It's honest and won't feel like Glee is trying to brush this situation under the rug. No matter what they do, it's going to be hard for the actors to portray but it breaks my heart to think of them having to pretend that the character played by Cory was still alive living happily somewhere. They would need to name drop Finn every once and while to remind us he was still around. It just...I don't know...that would be harder for ME to cope with. I don't know about others so...

Does anyone know if another show that has been put in a similar circumstance actually did option 2? Everything I've read about this happening on other shows as been handled with the character either passing away or being recast. 

Because of HOW Cory passed, I think it might be an excellent idea to do a clip show with the cast and crew sharing memories of Cory?? I understand Cory was a great person who was battling addiction...but the fact that he died from a heroin overdose is VERY jarring to me. It might be a good idea to remind everyone again that Cory was so much better than his final choices in life. Show us how he was funny, kind, talented, generous and all the GOOD that he was. I don't know a lot of how marketing works but wouldn't it be a good idea for Glee to show Cory in this light? I think that might be the first thing they should do...before airing any new episodes. 

I already have mentioned that I believe Finn should pass away. I do like the idea of the show coming back and have it be a week or two after his death. That way the cast doesn't have to act out hearing about Finn dying. I would imagine they would suspend "time" if they did this...as flashing forward too far would put us to Nationals and the end of the school year. This is just SO hard to try and figure out. I trust that they will find some way but it has to be very hard to be a writer right now. 

Ryder Lynn

Ryder Lynn

Advanced Member

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • GFA '14: Biggest Ryder Stan

I really like the idea of having an episode where the cast and some of the crew talking about their favorite memories. However people might be offend that some people might not be ready to talk about him in front of a camera. However the fandom needs to understand every healing process is different. 

I think going through all of season 1 favorite memories all the way to the end, talk about there favorite scenes and songs that cory has done.

However i don't think that should be the first episode. Just like the how the glee project has episode 0 where you get introduced to everyone. Then episode 1 jumping in a week or 2 after his death. Rachel's storyline could be about her struggling with Finn passing away. She loses funny girl but she doesn't care. I honestly want Rachel to help ND  to nationals. 

Like in away its honoring Finn because all Finn wanted was to be a teacher and for Rachel to follow her dreams because he loved her so much. I think it be truly amazing for Rachel to decide to put her dreams on hold for right now and carry Finn's dream out until graduation/Nationals.

taurus85

taurus85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Would it be better if Finn dies in a car crash  or a fraternity hazing incident ?  Something that is compleatly unrelated to Corys real life demise. This way all of the dark issues can be avoided within the show and they can focus on celebrating Finns (Corys) life. 

sinnfb

sinnfb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,035 posts

Would it be better if Finn dies in a car crash  or a fraternity hazing incident ?  Something that is compleatly unrelated to Corys real life demise. This way all of the dark issues can be avoided within the show and they can focus on celebrating Finns (Corys) life. 

Definitely. They can leave their offensive PSAs for another character and another situation. 

glost

glost

Twerkin for Corndogs XD

• GFA Award Winners
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,318 posts
  • GFA '14: Biggest Artie Stan

Plus i think its sort of out of character.

Sue-n-Schue

Sue-n-Schue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

TMZ is reporting that producers are meeting today to figure out what to do with the Finn character and Glee will definitely not be canceled (which I think we all pretty much knew anyway).

http://www.tmz.com/2...meeting-script/

Gallavich

Gallavich

together

• imgAdministrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,823 posts
  • GFA '12: Best Gay
  • GFA '13: Favorite Mod/Admin
  • GFA '14: Biggest Sam Stan

Is it really necassary to insult another character's importance to make a point about Finn? 

I don't think any character is being insulted here?

chantilly

chantilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

I don't think any character is being insulted here?

Exactly this is whether a character is a "central character" in a series or not. It isn't a comment made to reflect on the likability or quality of a character. I think importance is referring to the objective sense here and not the subjective sense.

Which Finn pretty much was, especially this season. In season one, Will was the only character on the show to have a scene with pretty much every other character, including most of the day players or recurring. This was the case with Finn in the past season. As it was clear to us this year and more then likely the plan for Finn next, he was morphing into a Will like figure on the show. Attached to all the narratives.

Edited by chantilly, 17 July 2013 - 03:27 PM.

fafafa

fafafa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

I really like the idea of having an episode where the cast and some of the crew talking about their favorite memories. However people might be offend that some people might not be ready to talk about him in front of a camera. However the fandom needs to understand every healing process is different. 

I think going through all of season 1 favorite memories all the way to the end, talk about there favorite scenes and songs that cory has done.

However i don't think that should be the first episode. Just like the how the glee project has episode 0 where you get introduced to everyone. Then episode 1 jumping in a week or 2 after his death. Rachel's storyline could be about her struggling with Finn passing away. She loses funny girl but she doesn't care. I honestly want Rachel to help ND  to nationals. 

Like in away its honoring Finn because all Finn wanted was to be a teacher and for Rachel to follow her dreams because he loved her so much. I think it be truly amazing for Rachel to decide to put her dreams on hold for right now and carry Finn's dream out until graduation/Nationals.

I would like this. And re some people not being ready to do it - why not just wait a bit? I could actually see them ignoring Finn's absence during the first few episodes if need be, like they did when Cory was in rehab. And to be honest, I wouldn't mind so much. Better to do his departure properly rather than cobble together something out of desperation which will make everyone uncomfortable and depressed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Other Shows: Arrow | The Tomorrow People | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | The Originals | The 100 | Star-Crossed | Bates Motel | Glee | Devious Maids